Controlling Bandwidth Throughput on D-Link GLB502T &/Or DIR 615

kidrow

Adept
Hiya,

So I wish to control the bandwidth throughput of my Mtnl internet connection at home. Mainly, I'd like to be able to restrict it whenever I wish.

I'm planning to move from a 1 mbps non-fup connection to an 8 mbps fup one. What i'm anticipating is that the video quality that is automatically selected on sites such as youtube will now default to hd. As a result, my fup will be unnecessarily used up by leisurely activities such as this instead of other more important tasks. Since everyone in my family is using the same connection on multiple devices, manually selecting a low quality every single time is not guaranteed. Which is why I'm wanting to restrict the bandwidth at the source.

I have a D-Link GLB502T modem & a DIR 615 wireless router. Googling shows that the QoS feature can be used for the purpose. But the DIR 615 firmware doesn't offer such an option, AFAIK. The GLB502 does have some tabs such as Ingress, Outgress, & Shaper. But I'm unable to figure out how they are used.

There is the other option of installing custom firmware like DD-WRT, but I'm wary of the risks, & I'm hoping there's something simpler.

On the software front, there is a program called Net Balancer. But it has mixed reviews, & the negative ones are downright negative in that they complain of things as serious as BSODs.

There's also a browser add-on (Youtube HD plus) which helps set a low default quality. I've found it works well. But it won't cover every video sharing site & every device.

Would appreciate any help on how best to go about doing this. Thanks for your time. Cheers!

Back