Graphic Cards cooler for Sapphire 4870

Hi All....

My 2 years old sapphire HD 4870's FAN has starting making loud grunting noise, sometimes its ok but sometimes it becomes very loud..

the card itself is working perfectly fine in all games & temperature levels & fan speed are being maintained as desired, but the noise is not tolerable to me

I won't be upgrading until HD6xxx's are being officially supported by OS X (yes I'm running a hackintosh) so kindly refer me some good cooler(cheaper will be better) which can be used for my 4870...

If no cheaper alternatives are available, I'd like to invest in something which can be used on the new 68xx or 69xx cards...

Regards....

What is your budget like ?

There are some :

Scythe Has Musashi (something like that) retails for around 3 grand.

Arctic Cooling has the AC Twin Turbo ~ 2.5 grand

Zalman has VF900/VF700 the prices for which I'm not aware of, but I'm pretty sure you can source it out of NP.

I'd like to keep the budget as low as possible, but then I will spend whatever it takes to keep this card good and alive --

Thermalright HR-03 is available i think in India.. how much would it be ???

mehargags said:
I'd like to keep the budget as low as possible, but then I will spend whatever it takes to keep this card good and alive --

Thermalright HR-03 is available i think in India.. how much would it be ???

TR HR-03 - This is from Prime ABGB's site - You'll have to get urself a 92mil fan , which will cost another 500 bucks , all in all totals to about 2.2k , which makes the arctic cooling's cooler a better deal.

The Zalman VF1000 / AC Accelero S1 (Second Revision) - Are pretty bang for buck , last I heard the AC Accelero S1 was retailing around 1.7Kish - But yeah, it's passive cooling- And the 4870 has some pretty high idling temps.

To me ,

I'm looking at VF1000 (~2.1k) - Thats the last price I heard for it, some time back.

The AC Twin Turbo takes the cake though 2.4k I think it will be a pretty good performer too, considering what I just read in the reviews, google up , u'll find some.

I was using the 4870 1GB with Accelero S1 rev. 2 and it had served me quite well with 2 92mm fans zip-tied on the heatsink. The sad part is, the copper heatpipes developed scales as a result of the humid weather here. There were no issues with the performance though. This could possibly be the cheapest heatsink money can buy.

I do not own the card now since I sold it a month back. I presume the present owner of the card is quite happy with her. :)

I remember my 4870 having issues with the VRM's heating up. I got a Thermalright T-Rad and it came with some dinky heatsinks for the vrms which caused them to shoot up to 110*C and casing lockups in game forcing me to invest in another vrm cooler which Thermalright just happened to release a few months later.

So keep that in mind while upgrading to an aftermarket cooler

@OP : Is there any sort of warranty left on the 4870 ? I'm thinking you can possibly do an RMA for the fans ? 2 Years old Means the warranty JUST got over/ there is a VERY little left out.

Gannu said:
I was using the 4870 1GB with Accelero S1 rev. 2 and it had served me quite well with 2 92mm fans zip-tied on the heatsink.
I did that once with my 3 year old 7600gt AGP . The fan had died , so i ziptied a 120mm silent fan to it . The cooling performance were infact even better and the card managed to live another 1.5 years .:)

RMA is out of question, I bought it from the U.S. from NewEgg. I Just don't want to be in any hassle...as said earlier, I'm on the verge of upgrading to 6xxx any moment. but since this is an absolutely fine card, I'd like to keep it for another RIG or just sell it to some friend hence I Need to fix the cooler issue.

AC Accelero S1 v2 looks good & cheap, I have couple of good scythe 120 mm PWM fans lying with me which I can use on this one.. any Idea who offers them ???

I'm in Delhi by the way

Before getting an aftermarket HSF unit for the accelerator, try to clean it out once. RE-TIM the core contact.

asingh said:
Before getting an aftermarket HSF unit for the accelerator, try to clean it out once. RE-TIM the core contact.
its the FAN that is making noise --- its cooling the card perfectly... Read above, I clearly mentioned

mehargags said:
its the FAN that is making noise --- its cooling the card perfectly... Read above, I clearly mentioned
Yes, I read above sir. At times the fan makes a distinct sound due to dust accumulation. Was just trying to help out without spending on an aged card.

Your wish.

mehargags said:
RMA is out of question, I bought it from the U.S. from NewEgg. I Just don't want to be in any hassle...as said earlier, I'm on the verge of upgrading to 6xxx any moment. but since this is an absolutely fine card, I'd like to keep it for another RIG or just sell it to some friend hence I Need to fix the cooler issue.

AC Accelero S1 v2 looks good & cheap, I have couple of good scythe 120 mm PWM fans lying with me which I can use on this one.. any Idea who offers them ???

I'm in Delhi by the way

I think checking out C2C in Nehru Palace will work out pretty fine / Not too sure though , and yes do try clearing out the dust as asingh did mention and reapply the TIM on to the card , check out how that works out

- The AC Accelero S1 (I THINK) can accomodate 2x92mm fans on the top - ziptied or 1x120mm fan ziptied on the top ,and yes I'm guessing any 120mil will work out fine , just make sure you have the fans blowing into the heatpipes.

- Try cleaning the card + fans + core - if you've got the time to do it , I think asingh successfully did clean out his card from a lot of dust before / I'd listen to what he says.

I clean my Card every 3 months.. without fail..& the whole PC every 4-5 months or as required. Its a practice I've been into for last 10 years

I cleaned it last on 26-Jan and soon after that in 4-5 days this noise started. I guess some bad luck here, may be during the cleaning some bigger dust particle got blown inside the FAN bearing.

one thing noteworthy is that the sound from the fan is not consistent, it comes sometimes, keeps on for 2-3 hrs or more then go away. I can notice that because my RIG is 24/7 ON..

I will give it a clean shot again, may be take the FAN alone to Puncture Shop for a proper blow out of dust particles...

Back