Cooler Master Real Power Pro 460 (RS-460-ASAA-D3)

Introduction

Most of the PC enthusiast always would like to achieve total silence in their computer, being it HDD Damping, low dba fans or huge CPU heat sinks for the matter. However to an extent we are successful, putting the temperature on stake and hence getting a lower performance when need the most.
Power Supplies Units being one part of the computer that, for some reason, cannot be kept in the TOTAL SILENCE or NEAR SILENCE category, as being the core component, it needs constant cooling and hence compromising the Silence.

Today we review a power supply which comes very close to the NEAR SILENT category and yet delivers extraordinary potential. What we are going to review to is the newest range of Cooler Master Power Supply the REAL POWER PRO 460 Series, which is supposed to be made for the computer enthusiast, specially keeping in mind the Performance, Cooling & Efficiency.

Let’s take a look at the Basic Specifications of the Power Supply Unit.

27983175.jpg

And the Power Consumption Specifications.

45850732.jpg

Next, we take a look at the Main Features of the PSU.

[BREAK=Features]

Features

The main features of the power supply are as follows.
• Compatible with latest Intel standard ATX12V V2.31
• Support dual +12V1 and +12V2 outputs for higher power usage
• Energy efficiency design that meets 80 Plus requirements (>82%)
• Green power design to meet Energy Star and Blue Angel requirements
• Multiple protection design (OVP / UVP / OCP / OPP /OTP / SCP)
• Ultra-silent operation with intelligent 120mm fan speed control
• High reliability (MTBF>100,000 hours)

73539087.jpg

It includes enhanced active PFC (power factor correction) circuit which reaches up to 85% efficiency. Higher efficiency also means lesser heat dissipation, which works seamlessly with intelligent 120mm fan speed control for ultra silent operation.

Now let’s go forward and take a look at the packaging. Ready for an Out Of The BOX Experience.

[BREAK=Packaging]

Packaging

At the packaging part, Cooler Master has provided a 5Year Warranty LOGO at the top of the box. Earlier in most of the forums around the WWW we have seen critics stating that all the top end power supplies of Cooler Master come with a 2 year warranty. However this time Cooler Masters has made it sure that the warranty comes as a value added to this amazing power supply.

57094691.jpg

At the opening there is a statement about the power supply in 15 Different languages, making it clear that this certainly is a world wide release of the Product.

66428481.jpg

testdfc.jpg

At the side of the BOX we have the Features of the product listed as different icons.

16079496.jpg

Next, let's take a look inside the BOX.

[BREAK=Out Of The Box]

The Out Of The Box Experience
The packaging of the product is very simple yet is made to keep the product intact while shipping. Top of the box comes with Styrofoam padding, same follows at the all the 4 sides and at the bottom of the box.

13053723.jpg

85360362.jpg

The box contains the following.

• Cooler Master Real Power Pro 460
• Power Cable with Safety Fuse.
• Black mounting screws.
• Cooler Master Limited Warranty Card.
• Installation Manual.

31914196.jpg

Alright, time to take a look at the Black Box itself.

[BREAK=Appearance]

Appearance

Measuring in at an extremely compact 150 x 86 x 140 mm, this PSU has a very good size to power ratio and should easily be able to fit inside even the smallest of ATX cases without any issues. Unlike the Real Power Pro M700 and M1000, it doesn't come with any kind of fancy paint job or electroplating, instead opting for a fairly coarse and rugged powder-coated finish.

47572859.jpg

68334972.jpg

The side of the PSU has a sticker elaborating the Inputs, Outputs & Power. Here we can see that Cooler Master has specially crafted the Sticker with a Green Background to explain another feature that this power supply comes with; Green Power.

66132091.jpg

Bottom of the PSU shows the ultra silent 120mm fan as stated in the features. Attached are all the cables and without fail, we have the Cooler Master Logo at the centre of the Fan Grill.

73919928.jpg

Around the back of the unit is an extremely fine honeycomb mesh grill with a mains plug and power switch.

43881961.jpg

73231771.jpg

Its time for an inspection inside this PSU.

[BREAK=The Inside StuFF]

The Inside StuFF

While the weight and size of a PSU can often give us a rough idea of how the unit is likely to perform, many manufacturers are now turning to newer and more efficient methods of manufacture, resulting in smaller and often lighter power supply units. However, by looking inside this power supply we should be able to identify some of the components used and get a good feel for the overall build quality of the unit.

20374934.jpg

At the very first look we see lot of heat sinks specially crafted to fit into this power supply case. We do see that Cooler Master has incorporated the learning into this power supply to make it much silent & much efficient. We see a similar to Cooler Master Silent Pro heat sinks and hence a lot of them.

22057411.jpg

51951516.jpg

The 120mm fan looks familiar to that of the Corsair VX series, specially the VX 450. All components inside the unit are fairly low profile, giving the airflow produced by the 135mm fan plenty of room to dissipate, resulting in less "hot-spots".

88909726.jpg

The capacitor was placed in a manner that we were not able to capture the specification, however by the looks of it, surely is a low profile capacitor that states 85 degree Celsius.

97065310.jpg

If we look closely, we see 2 temperature probes attached to the aluminium heat sink one on the left and other on the right of the heat sink. This certainly is a good idea when you plan to have a PSU which is silent yet performs when under load.

52951856.jpg

Now let’s take a look on to the cables and connecters of the PSU.

[BREAK=Cables & Connectors]

Cables & Connectors

We have the usual Cable Set with this power supply. Connecters are as follows.

• M/B 20+4Pin x1
• CPU 4+4Pin x1
• PCI-E 6Pin x1
• Peripheral 4Pin x5
• SATA x4
• Floppy 4Pin x1
What we need to look at is the CPU power pin is specially crafted to react the CPU Power Socket even when the power supply is installed at the bottom of the Chassis.

75411485.jpg

The Motherboard Power Pin

dsc02016.jpg

The CPU Power Pin (4+4).

dsc02018u.jpg

& The PCI-E Power Pin (6 Pin).

dsc02022h.jpg

Next, Efficiency Calculation for checking the 80+ Bronze Certification of the PSU.

[BREAK=Efficiency]

Efficiency Results
Efficiency tests are performed by measuring the wattage consumed by the power supply at the mains (Mains Draw) against the power consumed by the power supply stress tester (PSU Load). These results may not be 100% accurate, but have proven to be extremely close to results obtained from professional equipment.

53894704.jpg

And this is what we found when callculating the Efficiency.

74037111f.jpg

Throughout the testing, Real Power Pro 460 managed an efficiency level of at least 83.5%. Depending on the load applied to each of the PSU rails, this efficiency level went as high as 86.1% at times, reinforcing Cooler Master's claims that the unit is able to achieve more than 85% efficiency. As we have calculated the efficiency against the 80+ Bronze Requirements, the PSU certainly pass the test.

Next; The Conclusion.

[BREAK=Conclusion]

Conclusion

The Cooler Master Pro 460 is a PSU that is made for the enthusiast, who love to game with a single & Powerful GPU. With a maximum of 552W of power, this power supply can easily withstand any type of gaming rig. As the test results state, the power supply is 80+ Bronze certified and is a charm to work with.
With low noise levels and high efficiency, even the over-clocking guild will be more than satisfied with the performance that this PSU can deliver.
This PSU hence easily gives a competition to others in its class, specially being the Corsair VX-450 & Tagan 500W. Personally, a must have for all enthusiast who plan to use a Single GPU.

Pros

• Amazingly silent, even when pushed passed 460w load.
• Highly stable at full load.
• Rock solid +3.3v rail
• High level of efficiency under most load levels.
• Compact size suitable for small cases and some HTPC's.

Cons

• Sleeved wires would have been much decent approach for a non-modular PSU.

And Here's My Rating To This PSU.

terating.png

Thanks to Cooler Master for making this review possible. Special thanks to SMC International for getting us this power supply at the earliest.

Dark Star said:
Nice review :) Put it to Portal

Keep up the good work ;) and let the reviews coming :)

Thanks a ton for the appreciation. More To Come.

• Logitech MX3200 Combo
  • CM V10
  • CM Sniper AMD Edition
  • CM Black Label

mav2000 said:
Hey Jay, how do you do the efficiency rating? What was the setup used for this....nice review.

There is a small setup that we have made, currently we are using low cost resistors so cannot do a "More Variable Load Test" however our rheostat works for 5 different resistance levels. This thread might help you.

^Very good professional review :). For the price of Rs.4000 this is certainly a good competition for the Corsair VX450.

Cooler Master guys are looking to review their new CPU cooler, why don't you check with them if you can do it.

Nice review... A worthy competition for VX450.... 80+ certification is actually better than Corsair's.... If the price is right then we can see good competition & may be reduction in price...

Cheers !!!

Saiyan said:
^Very good professional review :). For the price of Rs.4000 this is certainly a good competition for the Corsair VX450.

Cooler Master guys are looking to review their new CPU cooler, why don't you check with them if you can do it.

Coolermaster RP 460W gives 384W from 12v rails but VX450 gives 396W . Which is better? There's simply no competition

Excellent review, though I would have loved to see some voltage stability measurements myself, as well as ripple readings. Both are not difficult to take. Maybe next time.

Now, a few observations on the power supply itself, which are more technical in nature.

1. The design may not be a pure dual-rail design. I see only three opto couplers, so it points to a single 12V regulation, though it is possible there are current limiters on the individual lines I'm not really sure there would be additional circuitry. This is not necessarily a shortcoming though.

2. Only 4 SATA power cables is a real shortcoming. In my main rig, I'm already using 5, and find the VX450's six just about adequate. 4 is way too less.

3. The primary cap is indeed a Nippon Chemicon cap, it should be rated to 105 but that is old wisdom. I can't see either the tempco or the series from the pic, so tough to tell. Anyway even if it is 85 degree and low ESR series it should be fine in the primary.

This looks like a decent alternative to the VX450, but without a max power test and voltage stability/ripple it is kind of difficult to be really sure.

@Striker10: Ratings from the label tell you nothing about a power supply. The CM600 Extreme offers much more power than these, going purely by label ratings, which is why we need tests - we know how terrible that supply is. I'm not anti-Corsair - each of my 3 rigs has a Corsair power supply, 2 VX450s and a TX750 - but I like to see competition. It creates choice. And 12 watts is about 3% difference, so it's not like they are that far apart as your post would seem to indicate. The VX450 delivers about 530 watts when pushed, so it'd be interesting to see how much this one is capable of, and at what stability/ripple. That's the important thing.

Hey thanks for the clarifications. Not that the link helped me as most of it went over my head....and keep the reviews coming...But yes, one of the things I have seen in most PSU reviews is mention of the caps and their heritage.

Well, choice is definitely fine but if I have 4K to spend on SMPS, I will chose VX450 any day over this PSU. And here is why:

1- Output for VX450 is rated for 50 degrees. This one is rated at 40 degrees

2- Better capacitor in VX450

3- Slightly beefier 12V rail. Also it's on single rail (for simplicity's sake) while CM one has two rails. Single rail is slightly better, though in reality it may never make a difference

4- Corsair support is quite good... and now we even have a corsair representative on TE

5- Sleeved cables on VX 450

If only CM 460 RP can sell for around 3.4K, it makes sense to go for it.

Cheers :hap2:

Back