Cooler Master STORM FPS Tactics DC-M

COOLER MASTER STORM TACTICS-M REVIEW
23hahqh.jpg

Pretty please. Cheese!!
I had recently posted a review for the Cooler Master STORM Spawn, along with that I had got a complimentary STORM line-up mousepad to review. This mousepad OR mouse-mat however you refer to it is the Cooler Master Storm FPS Tactics DC-M [yes that is the name]. A control edition mousepad incepted for increasing the potential of Optical sensor based performance mice let us what it is capable of.
WHY YOU NEED A DECENT MOUSEPAD
Now a lot of people will wonder why I am reviewing a mousepad OR for that matter what is so special about this product that I am including a small primer here. These are the reason why anyone [not just a gamer OR hardware enthusiast] requires to invest in a mousepad –
  • A good mousepad ensure that your mouse-feet face the least wear and tear whilst ensuring the mouse sensor can accurately track movement and react as expected.
  • A good mouse + mousepad combo can complement your play style OR hinder it.
  • Mousepads come in a myriad of forms, shapes, material used for achieving two distinct types, these are –

1. Control Edition – These are the most common type of mousemats around. Generally SOFT MATs with a tight cloth weave to help improve the accuracy and tracking of the mouse sensor.
  2. Speed Edition – These are rarer than their CONTROL brethren and are again generally SOFT MATs, but with a special crystalline / plastic treatment that allows mice to move with lesser frictional resistance.

Now down to business.
PACKAGING

dcc7ch.jpg

That... one tall box!!

The Tactics-M mousepad comes in a tall box that is emblazoned with quite a few details; like the dimensions of the mouse, a proud and well composed introduction to the product. It also features a sample of the surface on the outside, so that you can feel it and decide for yourself.

28gwj9h.jpg

Touch me... Feel me!! BUY Me!!
Now I really cannot write more about the box, apart from the fact it is tall, can take a few knocks but don’t expect it to protect the mat if put under something heavy OR sharp. Overall it is at par with other mousepads in packaging, although Roccat Sense is still the best for me because it comes in a sturdy Pringle-esque box with solid plastic caps on both ends. I will let the pictures do the rest of the talking.
t014jm.jpg

Features, all jotted down.

oiudcg.jpg

Arming the revolution... one mouse-mat at a time.
USER IMPRESSIONS
The mousepad is a SOFT MAT, pretty thick and has the following dimensions --

405 [L] x 285 [W] x 5 [M]*

*all measures are in mm.

Overall it is a wee bit larger than my Razer Goliathus Oversize CONTROL EDITION mat.
The surface is smooth to the touch as well is nice and evenly dark throughout, apart from the centre which is dominated by graphics which will endear itself to any FPS player. The weave is pretty much what you expect for a CONTROL EDITION mat, I have a few macro shots [actually the closest my Canon A400 allowed me] of both the surface and they don’t look very different to me. The non-slip base of the mousepad is of 100% natural rubber according to the Introduction on the box, it has been given a nice texture for added guarantee of not slipping away.

ycrkh.jpg

34illq9.jpg

Please compare, I do not see a grave difference.

Cooler Master has exclusively stated on the box that this mousepad is optimized for optical mice and as I do not have LASER mice with me to test, I tested the same using my LOGITECH G300 and Razer Salmosa apart from the Cooler Master STORM Spawn that was being reviewed. I felt nothing out of the ordinary for all three mice behaved well on the mice. The only advantage I felt was as this mousepad was newer than my Goliathus the overall movement was smoother, how long this holds up I am not sure. The next primary difference noticed by me was that the Tactic-M was thicker [by a full 1mm] than the Goliathus and thus felt slightly raised than my Razer, again this is a personal perception.

a14vhe.jpg

Different blacks, no I doubt this is my poor photography skills butting in.
Overall the mousepad behaved like any decent CONTROL EDTION mat should behave, Cooler Master gets full marks for this though I will like to receive this once more and test it with a LASER senor mouse to see how it fares. I felt the best control on this mat was given to me by my LOGITECH G300, followed by the Spawn and the Salmosa in close attendance. Initially I was having an issue with my Spawn sample ascribing a weird Z-shaped move when I rapidly moved it, once I switched on the Angle-Snapping feature this reduced drastically.

502qfs.jpg

I win matches because I follow these rules, I loose them so I can show-off this stuff.

FINAL WORDS: WE DID NOT REINVENT THE WHEEL

Now all considered the Cooler Master Tactics-M is not at all a bad product, the issue it’s not a very great product either. It set out to give the Cooler Master brand a bit of diversity and renown in other circles of the enthusiast market and well, it does so credibly.
Summing up it entirely, I give Cooler Master designers credit that they got what was aimed for – a mousepad, albeit a well behaved one. This is like someone copying the base recipe from a successful one giving it a shot of personal chutzpah and viola, you have a new recipe to share with the world.
FOR
Dark surface, good tracking and accuracy over a spectrum of optical mice, huge surface area to play with, good build and a palatable price.
AGAINST

Nothing in particular apart from the fact that it is insanely large and might interfere on cramped tables. Actually one thing come to mind. This is a humble request, please stop plastering it with STORM TACTICS it looks like a gaudy assault manual for juvenile delinquents.

The final tally for the Tactics Pad-M is --

ibb812.png

also, due to its great pricing and functionality I am proud to present the Tactics Pad-DC with a --

29kxlhu.jpg

The Cooler Master FPS Tactics-M is available at major metros and in most online stores at prices equivalent OR slightly cheaper than the competition, notably the Razer and Roccat offerings.

I would like to thank #[member='Coolermaster'] for arranging the review sample.

#ALPHA17 Nice Review
clapping.gif

Edge's looks like regular mouse pads

Thanks Sire, glad you liked it.

I have never used a regular mousepad with such a nice trim and finish on the edge. Also these both are way thicker than the average ~50/- <-->100/- quid 'mousepad' that the computer traders like to pass off as mousepads.

What do you mean Mac, atleast explain yourself properly!! Your syntax is incomprehensible to me.
I wanna to say that your knowledge about computer new parts are amaze the newcomer and all of us. Your knowledge about computer is much better then us and your explaining section is also so good.

Nice review :sign2ewrewr9:. Feel like buying it but, i already have Iron Lady and my table surface area is also less..

Back