Corona-virus: medical tips and tricks thread

Veek M

Disciple
Reddit thread on the same topic
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8192533/NHS-doctor-shares-breathing-technique-coronavirus-patients.html
involves taking five deep breaths, and ending the sixth deep breathe with a cough - covered with the hand or a tissue, of course. This would help move mucus in the respiratory tract to the mouth. 'While you have an active infection you need to be getting a good amount of air into the bases of your lungs. The only way you are going to do that is by having a technique.'

(DIY mask - shows you the intricacies of a face mask)

(When I used to run some years ago - my knees gave out - you basically run out of leg muscle or "wind" (in my case my heart gave out) Anyhow - the symptoms of "wind" if you are unfit is that your sides start to ache BUT if you are in condition, you will run out of air and will have to step up your breathing - so I used to try to hyper-ventilate, anyhow.. eventually deep down in my lungs (near your stomach - eventually those bits kind of 'pop'ped. What I'm trying to get at is for most people their breathing is shallow - we don't need to reach down. (I used to get an urge to defecate too while running so.. it must be strenuous though I'm not sure how effective strenuous running was vs something more moderate or if the physical act of running contributes vs just doing strenuous deep breathing )

So basically that advice is good because you don't want the virus to take up residence lower down and his experience matches up with mine - a good way to get in shape to face it might be to take up running - or breathing practice early on - though I'm not sure compared to running/breathing how effective his advice will be)

'The majority of your lung is on your back, not on the front. By lying on your back your closing off more of the smaller airways and this is not good during a period of infection. '[It can] lead to atelectasis. This can then lead to a secondary pneumonia. It's very important that you guys understand this.'

pfftt.. pulse-oximeters are kind of inaccurate and hospitals need them +no shipping - seems like medical companies cashing in with rubbish advice - the've even suggested a CPAP - lol! CPAP's aren't ventilators - that's just utter BS!DailyMail publishes all sorts of rubbish and pseudo-science - caveat emptor
I lay for the next 12 hours, frozen and shivering, my muscles horribly stiff. It was only the next evening, during a dreaded bathroom trip, that I noticed a packet of paracetamol on the shelf and took two.

Last edited:
suggests the best way to avoid picking up germs from your groceries is to leave them outside for three days before touching them.

But when this isn't possible, he shows how he believes people should clean their items - by disinfecting each item with wipes or spray and ridding it of its outside packaging.
'Your house could be a shining example of cleanliness, but every time we bring some of the outside world in, we are potentially bringing infectious viral particles in,' she explained.

'It is especially important to decontaminate not so much the food per se, but the packaging it comes in - as that is where the virus could "land".

'Keep shoes in your hallway, or the same spot and try to use only one pair of shoes to go outside.

'It’s believed coronavirus can last up to 24 hours on clothes. If you have had to use public transport, or come into close contact with people, think about changing your clothes immediately and putting them in the wash.'

T
hey found that virus-laden aerosols were mainly concentrated downstream from patients at up to 13 feet, though smaller quantities were found also observed upstream up to eight feet away.
virus was most heavily concentrated on the floors of the wards, 'perhaps because of gravity and air flow causing most virus droplets to float to the ground.'

High levels were also found on frequently touched surfaces like computer mice, trashcans, bed rails and door knobs.

'Furthermore, half of the samples from the soles of the ICU medical staff shoes tested positive,' the team wrote.
'Our findings suggest that home isolation of persons with suspected Covid-19 might not be a good control strategy given the levels of environmental contamination.'

Because most citizens do not have access to personal protective equipment, the scientists believe confining the virus to households simply leads to cluster cases.

This virus is still an enigma...no amount of containment seems enough for it.
May be we should leave it alone....may be Modi is right after all!!

patients be monitored with a simple device called a pulse oximeter that measures oxygen levels before the dip too low

they had no idea they had the infection until they were in the emergency room and, by then, 'they were often already in critical condition.'

He was seeing patients that had lungs filled with fluid or pus, but they weren't struggling to breathe until the day they arrived at the hospital

will cardio help?

no idea.. basically there are tiny hair like structures in the lung called cilia that keep the lungs clean - without them, the lungs would be prone to infection/disease and you'd die if enough of them were damaged. What the virus seems to be doing BY MY UNDERSTANDING is to damage those cilia.. and then that leads to problems..

Supposedly breathing exercises help by popping out your lungs.. (earlier post). Cardio would get your heart in shape.. better HR, more vascularization - I've noticed this.. (i used to have trouble with my heart) and when I started running/walking fast - it took nearly 3 months but after the first 1 month there was some improvement.. less angina (at least 5 times/week - walk)

Even weight training helps FOR SURE! (at least for me) I am greatly improved thanks to this (but I've been quite lazy/not regular after corona hit) It disrupts my life and doesn't present easy solutions in my house.. so.. i've had to stop BUT THEN i've been watching Hercule Poirot so :p

[to be quite honest I'm greatly puzzled by own goodish health - recently - to comment] *touch wood*

Today I received a 50pack, 3 ply surgical masks from 1mg, but up on opening the package, the mask looks like a knock off, made with manual labor. I don't remember seeing any sugical masks with this material.
IMG_20200423_142544938.jpg

Use iodine mouth wash and nasal ointment if you are going out and meet people.
These masks are not surgical masks. They are made out of molly sheets and adult diapers.
Let me share you a secret. AFAIK , surgical masks do not come with elastic bands ( around the ears) , they have normal tapes to be tied around behind.
Elastic bands are extremely uncomfortable to wear during long surgeries.
You probably won't find a single proper surgical mask in online offline markets ( at least in Europe)

These masks are not surgical masks. They are made out of molly sheets and adult diapers.
Let me share you a secret. AFAIK , surgical masks do not come with elastic bands ( around the ears) , they have normal tapes to be tied around behind.
Elastic bands are extremely uncomfortable to wear during long surgeries.
You probably won't find a single proper surgical mask in online offline markets ( at least in Europe)
I think I saw the same material in one of those old twist mop that you can order from tv shopping . It looks same as the mop material.
In the listing the picture was like this https://www.1mg.com/otc/gentouch-surgical-3-ply-mask-box-available-in-packs-only-otc590399

Before buying i googled and I though its a genuine company, since I saw the listing in many other websites and ebay stores elsewhere in the world.

mask just prevents aerosol - not meant to protect you :)
I bought it so that i can wear it at work and house once the lock down is lifted, so that I don't spread it anyone else in the house. I wont be touching it now.
Post automatically merged:

Got the refund from 1mg, they asked me to throw it away.

Does it still block like atleast like a cloth mask or will this material do more harm to the lungs, reason I ask is I can donate to the less fortunate people, who use a cloth or a scarf or use nothing.

Last edited:
The quickest and safest way to increase tidal volume / IRC and decrease some dead space without stretching alveolar wall is to use a cheap spirometer everyday ( the one with 3 plastic balls, used after cardio pulmonary surgeries) it's available with all major medical store.
Oops, forgot that I'm supposed to be silent!! Lack of sleep.

The quickest and safest way to increase tidal volume / IRC and decrease some dead space without stretching alveolar wall is to use a cheap spirometer everyday ( the one with 3 plastic balls, used after cardio pulmonary surgeries) it's available with all major medical store.
Oops, forgot that I'm supposed to be silent!! Lack of sleep.
I have always wanted something like this. while born and raised in south india at 2k ft altitude I always had trouble hiking at 10+k altitudes while my friends dont even take a deep breath. I thought it was because of my genetics and history of smoking. I am going to buy this. :)

If you want the best mask, get the 3M P100. These have true HEPA filters, very comfortable, even protects from oil, molds ( N95 doesn't protect from oil droplets, if an infected person is cooking with boiling oil, N95 can't protect)
If anyone is using N95 with valve , please don't. The main purpose of the valve is to ensure UNFILTERED exhaled air, so if someone is infected and using a valved N95, he is spreading the virus more effectively. This valve was introduced to keep the inner side moisture free by not filtering the exhaled air, so it can go out with moisture in it.
The valved N95 is for medical staff working in diagnosed covid 19 positive patients ward/ ICU, to make life easier for them. They should change it immediately coming out from that CCU.
Mask related queries are welcome. Everything is available at NIOSH website.

I am having to make do with a 3M 9004IN which is just a particulate respirator. I might have to go and meet people once or twice next week as I have to sell some of my produce we grow at my farm.
I was able to find Betadine Mouth Gargle and ordered it but can you suggest any iodine nasal ointment that could be available in India.

I am using 02 two ply surgical masks and a face shield made out a plastic film and I am inside a hospital for the last 04 days.

Back