Corsair SF600 aging

Isn't SF600 80 plus gold certified PSU with Japanese capacitors (best in class). Depending on your GPU model this shouldn't happen, at least not this soon. May I ask what your PC specs are ? Also what you are saying can very well be true because I recently found out below ATX 3.0 PSUs such as yours ATX 2.4 don't handle power spikes very well. ATX 3.0 standard was introduced just to counter this issue (for better or worse they do).

What you can do is to RMA this PSU and/or undervolt your GPU in the hopes it fixes such spikes.
Surprisingly my cooler master rs-600-acab-b1 (tier C-D PSU with ATX V2.31 standard) that I bought new in JAN 2015 is able to handle load of 5700x3d + 3070 OC'd without any issue. Don't worry im planning to change it in the near future (hoping for a 750W gold since they are cheap now).

Isn't SF600 80 plus gold certified PSU with Japanese capacitors (best in class). Depending on your GPU model this shouldn't happen, at least not this soon. May I ask what your PC specs are ? Also what you are saying can very well be true because I recently found out below ATX 3.0 PSUs such as yours ATX 2.4 don't handle power spikes very well. ATX 3.0 standard was introduced just to counter this issue (for better or worse they do).

What you can do is to RMA this PSU and/or undervolt your GPU in the hopes it fixes such spikes.
Surprisingly my cooler master rs-600-acab-b1 (tier C-D PSU with ATX V2.31 standard) that I bought new in JAN 2015 is able to handle load of 5700x3d + 3070 OC'd without any issue. Don't worry im planning to change it in the near future (hoping for a 750W gold since they are cheap now).
Two systems. One SFF and one eGPU box
and two GPUs too. 6600XT and RX6800.
So total 4 permutations. It OCP trips lately 6 months when the load goes over ~300W in both the system. For example My RX6800 runs for few minutes and eventual power spike causes OCP trip. When I undervolt it its fine. 6600XT barely pulls ~100W so that its always fine.
Ya ill see about RMA, will have to dig my bills for that ?? and what corsair email/site to reach out to ?

It OCP trips lately 6 months when the load goes over ~300W in both the system. For example My RX6800 runs for few minutes and eventual power spike causes OCP trip. When I undervolt it its fine.
Ya ill see about RMA, will have to dig my bills for that ?? and what corsair email/site to reach out to ?
Yeah then something is wrong with the PSU and as far as I know yes you will need to show the bill. AFAIK Kaizen infoserve handles corsair their website. Give them all call or email them just to confirm. I'm not sure if its Kaizen or Acro because both have corsair as their partner on their website and on Acro website they say to contact Kaizen lol. Acro website

"celing" comes down with time.
Not to the extent you are experiencing. You can expect a capacitor with a 3000 hour life (typical for most Japanese capacitors used in the primary) to run for about 6000 hours in a typical PC environment in moderately tropical conditions, without losing any of its capacity. Most electrolytics have a capacitance increase as they age, but lower current handling - both effects due to drying out of the electrolyte. Our long run tests show that high quality capacitors hold up very well, some amps we built ten years ago are still running on their originally used 85C capacitors at very hot internal temps (no fan to help out).

Some power supplies will mistakenly use only load current sensing without accounting for ambient temperature when it comes to operating the fan, this will age the capacitors faster. But of course, it could be just a defective unit. A decently built power supply will hold up fine for over a decade with no drop in ability.

Not to the extent you are experiencing. You can expect a capacitor with a 3000 hour life (typical for most Japanese capacitors used in the primary) to run for about 6000 hours in a typical PC environment in moderately tropical conditions, without losing any of its capacity. Most electrolytics have a capacitance increase as they age, but lower current handling - both effects due to drying out of the electrolyte. Our long run tests show that high quality capacitors hold up very well, some amps we built ten years ago are still running on their originally used 85C capacitors at very hot internal temps (no fan to help out).

Some power supplies will mistakenly use only load current sensing without accounting for ambient temperature when it comes to operating the fan, this will age the capacitors faster. But of course, it could be just a defective unit. A decently built power supply will hold up fine for over a decade with no drop in ability.
Yes, its uncommon but have read a few accounts on reddit where they were facing ocp trips on x watts psu but when they bought brand new of same x watts the ocp trips went away. It s a defective unit after all. Dont want to open it up to check the caps and replace them if they are swollen. will try to rma

Back