OC & Modding CPU Cooler for i7 4790. Edit- Bought Hyper 212x. High temps :(

Party Monger

Skilled
Need a CPU cooler for my i7 4790 Hackintosh. Its not an over-clockable processor but the temps still rocket to 80-85 degrees in no time. I am going to be rendering stuff soon and dont want to risk such high temps on the processor. And in Nagpur the temps are a bit extreme, so Im looking for something that will keep it cool. Don't have a budget as such, would prefer something that does the job flawlessly and is cheaper or Value for money. Do mention risks if any.

The Mobo is Gigabyte h97m-d3h and the case is CM N200 Advance. And will add a graphics card soon (just saying incase it matters)

Can you provide details about arrangements about fans in your case and cable management ?
Have the two fans that came with the case. One on front and one on back. And the stock cooler on the CPU. The PSU has its own fan and is at the bottom of the case.

Wires have been routed from the outer side of the panel as much as possible to keep it clean. (Between the panel mobo is screwed to and the outter detachable panel there is space) So its mostly clean.[DOUBLEPOST=1441269407][/DOUBLEPOST]
Cooler Master Seidon 120v Plus -4950.
Any Air coolers? Im mortally scared of leaks and shit with these liquid ones.[DOUBLEPOST=1441270290][/DOUBLEPOST]Why was this moved to Over clocking and modding when Im not doing either of them :|

Last edited:
Nah, need a proper cooler. Will add the TIM anyway

I meant which TIM you are using right now ? If using stock one, I would suggest you may first try to put a good one like Arctic Silver 5 and check with temps. If that does not give significant results you can look for another cooler. For air cooler, check out Cooler Master Hyper 212X.

I dont want to waste my time witht he stock cooler. Its well documented that it sucks. Why waste 600bucks on it? Id rather get a new one.

I am using the i7 4790k with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO system is highly stable ..
What are the temps on full load? Say prime 95 for 15-20 to an hour?
Im considering getting the Hyper 212x tomorrow which is supposed to be a newer version of the Evo with better fans apparently.

These are the readings that i got using prime95 at approx 8 hours of continious operation ...
IDLE LOAD :: ROOM TEMP : 19 DEGREES , NOISE : 44 DBA , RPM : 1250 , CORE TEMP : 26 DEGREES
FULL LOAD :: ROOM TEMP : 19 DEGTEES , NOISE :50 DBA , RPM : 1750 , CORE TEMP : 50 DEGREES ..hope that helps mate ..

These are the readings that i got using prime95 at approx 8 hours of continious operation ...
IDLE LOAD :: ROOM TEMP : 19 DEGREES , NOISE : 44 DBA , RPM : 1250 , CORE TEMP : 26 DEGREES
FULL LOAD :: ROOM TEMP : 19 DEGTEES , NOISE :50 DBA , RPM : 1750 , CORE TEMP : 50 DEGREES ..hope that helps mate ..
WOAH Thanks mate. That is really good stuff there for an entry level Cooler! What are your ambient (city ) temps during the testing? ( Also Which city)

Back