Budget 21-30k CPU + Mobo

Party Monger

Skilled
Usage- Video editing.

Processor - Need atleast an i5. Can push the budget slightly for a higher CPU.

Motherboard - Cheaper the better. Will be hooking up 2 displays. Do share alternatives. Needs to support DDR3 Ram.

Need following ports minimum -
USB3 - 3 Is suppose there will be usb2 ports too.
Sata ports - 2 for SSD, 2 for HDD
Ram Slots - 2 minimum (8+8gb)
PCI slots - 1 for graphics card, 1 for wifi
HDMI - 1/2/3 (More the merrier. Will used 1080p monitors along with this. But its not a requirement, might upgrade to a gpu.)
VGA - 1/2/3 (More the merrier. First pref is hdmi and second is VGA)​

Right now What Im considering is a bit all over the place. I frankly looking for the best VFM more than anything else.
Considering one of the following processors - i5-4690, i7-4790, Xeon 1230v3

For motherboard - Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Its a Micro Atx Motherboard. I dont mind a full Atx one either.

I'm more inclined towards the Xeon. It has i7's performance with 4 cores, and multithreading. Internationally quite a bit cheaper than the i7. Only it doesnt have a GPU on board. So will have to get a graphics card. Also havent been able to find The Xeon locally. Any place online that I can get it at a good price that is reflective of its international price?

I'm more inclined towards the Xeon. It has i7's performance with 4 cores, and multithreading. Internationally quite a bit cheaper than the i7. Only it doesnt have a GPU on board. So will have to get a graphics card.
you're right, the i7 and xeon are very much alike save for the gpu. if you have a video card then go for the xeon otherwise you'll have to see which is cheaper overall - i7 only or xeon+gpu.

for motherboard the chipset selected is fine but i would avoid gigabyte - they release boards with different revisions that cut down on the specs. basically they start with a good board for reviews and then keep stripping it down and cutting corners with successive revisions which is what we end up being sold.
asus and asrock are good.

you're right, the i7 and xeon are very much alike save for the gpu. if you have a video card then go for the xeon otherwise you'll have to see which is cheaper overall - i7 only or xeon+gpu.

for motherboard the chipset selected is fine but i would avoid gigabyte - they release boards with different revisions that cut down on the specs. basically they start with a good board for reviews and then keep stripping it down and cutting corners with successive revisions which is what we end up being sold.
asus and asrock are good.
Actually the reason for going Gigabyte is HAckintosh. It has brilliant compatibility. Plenty of builds out there with this motherboard. But I didnt know the fact you quoted. Let me check component by component and see if its the same as the international one. Else all in vain.[DOUBLEPOST=1434004465][/DOUBLEPOST]
Intel Xeon E3 1246 v3 -23000,
Gigabyte B85M-D3H -5500,
Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1600Mhz -4500.
TOTAL -33,000.
Thanks mate, that's the only Xeon available in the market and not very VFM.

Last edited:
Actually the reason for going Gigabyte is HAckintosh. It has brilliant compatibility. Plenty of builds out there with this motherboard. But I didnt know the fact you quoted. Let me check component by component and see if its the same as the international one.
ok then it's best to buy the mobo from a physical store so you can visually inspect the revision no.
naturally you'll have to do some prior research on the mobo of your choosing to find out if there are multiple revisions and the difference b/w each.

Back