Budget 0-20k CPU Upgrade Help for B250 chipset (TL;DR at the bottom)

sid41299

Disciple
  1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel Pentium G4560
    • Motherboard - Gigabyte B250M-D3H
    • GPU - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super
    • RAM - 2 X Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 2400 DDR4 (actually 2666, but CPU doesn't support)
    • Monitor - BenQ GW2283
    • PSU - CoolerMaster MasterWatt Lite 500
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • everything except the CPU
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - used 6th/7th Gen Intel Core
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Final
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Visakhapatnam
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Browsing
  9. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • FPS - Warzone at 1080p60fps High
    • Open-world action - CP2077, same as above
    • Racing - PC3,same as abovr
  10. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. 1920 x 1080
  11. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  12. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 10 64 bit

I currently have a G4560 in my PC, and I'm looking for an as-cheap-as-possible (and noticeable) upgrade to a 6th or 7th Gen Intel CPU. What CPUs will fit in my budget? I understand as this is a used market query the prices will fluctuate somewhat, but I want to know what I can get for 5K, and what I can get if I go higher.

Thanks in advance.

As far as i can tell sid, 5k is too low of a target for any good enuf cpu to meet your performance benchmarks. Intel cpus are made to last for years altogether, even in the used market, they have commanding prices. Ppl will sell it there only citing higher upgrades, meaning they get to set high resale value for it. the maximum you can expect for 5k would be a 7th gen core i3. Only an i5 or an i7 can couple well with your 1660 to give you the performance you are expecting.

As far as i can tell sid, 5k is too low of a target for any good enuf cpu to meet your performance benchmarks. Intel cpus are made to last for years altogether, even in the used market, they have commanding prices. Ppl will sell it there only citing higher upgrades, meaning they get to set high resale value for it. the maximum you can expect for 5k would be a 7th gen core i3. Only an i5 or an i7 can couple well with your 1660 to give you the performance you are expecting.
Thank you for the detailed reply, it's much appreciated.

So what can I expect to pay for something like a 7400/7500?

Im afraid your board and your budget are holding you back regarding this sid. intel in now in its 11 th gen. So its legacy products are not being produced, meaning they are priced quite high on etailers (brand new ones i mean) well above 10k . As for the used market, sites like olx and quikr are a hassle. you may get lucky with any seller posting it on a forum like this one or you can try your hand at your city's local dealers regarding cpus for your board model. Regardless an i5 or an i7 will set you back over 5 digits price wise especially in this pandemic time with inflated prices everywhere. You can try your luck there.

Personally i would suggest a board upgrade to atleast an H series supporting upto 9th gen, on which you could install a 9th gen core i3, which would give you some atleast some degree of performance you are expecting (if you are still limited by budget). but im afraid for games like cyberpunk it may not be enough and you need to be ready to shell out more for an i5 or an i7 which would be well above 10k.

Last edited:
Again, thank you for the detailed response, but I'm aware of how 7th Gen CPUs are not in production etc. I was asking used market prices, like here on TechEnclave.

And if I'm changing my motherboard, I'd rather wait and save a little longer for a full Ryzen switch, something like a B450 board and a 2400G. But the limiting factor here is precisely that I cannot change my motherboard. I'm stuck with this B250 board, so I have to make the best of what I have

Indeed, and products iike 7th gen being listed here are rare, a dime a dozen, you have to scour the sale threads and ask members to see if they have one etc. I have a ryzen build myself (r7 2700 coupled with a 2060) (it was a heavy budget). Ryzen has come a long ways and they have sorted out all their first gen bios kinks etc. intel is in a tough spot regarding its supply, inventory and overall performance. So i suppose you could directly go for ryzen itself but try to go for a non G variant as you already have a full fledged 1660 handling the graphics.

Back