CPU/Mobo CPUZ shows less processor & RAM speed

abhivg

Disciple
Recently got the following system:
Processor: AMD Phenom xII 965 BE, 3.4 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
RAM: 2 x 2GB Transcend DDR2 1333 MHz

The BIOS I think shows the correct configuration, however in Win XP, under 'My Computer -> Properties' and even in CPU Z it doesnt show these specs for the processor and RAM speed.

I understand that the less proc speed is because of the AMD cool and qiet driver which I believe increases the speed on a need basis preserving power. This is confirmed by running the winamp visualization in high res, which caused the cpu z proc speed number to go upto 2.4 Ghz.

Also initially my RAM showed up as single channel, which I fixed by changing the RAM slots, now it shows dual channel. However the specs shown in CPUZ are: DRAM freq: 666.7 MHz

Searched the forums a bit for similar issue where they suggested that the BIOS setting should be changed to overclock the ram. But, shouldnt the RAM run at its advertised speed, i.e. 1333 MHz, instead of 666.7 MHz, or is it that the actual speed is 667 MHz, but doubles to 1333MHz with DDR?

Anything else I can do to improve the performance or is it performing at the expected level? I dont intend to overclock or anything.

Also, previously I had an AMD Athlon @ 1.6 GHz and 512 MB DDR ram. With the new system I didnt see much difference in the Win XP performance, was expecting reduced bootup time, but still takes around 50 sec to 1 min to see the XP desktop. My friend had got an intel core i5 (quad) with 2 GB ram and he mentioned that it boots in a jiffy. Similarly in Photoshop or Corel Painter, didnt seem a noticable improvement, but really didnt test it that properly.

tia,
Abhi

667 in cpuz means your ram is running at 1333(2x667), use google to understand that.
You are right, cnq makes it run your processor at lower speed, set power configuration to "high performance" and it would always run at full speed(will consumer more power)

abhivg said:
Also initially my RAM showed up as single channel, which I fixed by changing the RAM slots, now it shows dual channel. However the specs shown in CPUZ are: DRAM freq: 666.7 MHz

Searched the forums a bit for similar issue where they suggested that the BIOS setting should be changed to overclock the ram. But, shouldnt the RAM run at its advertised speed, i.e. 1333 MHz, instead of 666.7 MHz, or is it that the actual speed is 667 MHz, but doubles to 1333MHz with DDR?
DDR stands for Double Data Rate. So yes, DDR 667MHz actually works at 1333MHz.

Also, previously I had an AMD Athlon @ 1.6 GHz and 512 MB DDR ram. With the new system I didnt see much difference in the Win XP performance, was expecting reduced bootup time, but still takes around 50 sec to 1 min to see the XP desktop. My friend had got an intel core i5 (quad) with 2 GB ram and he mentioned that it boots in a jiffy.
A faster CPU won't decrease your boot times or improve normal Windows performance (not by much anyway).
Boot times are most affected by a fast HDD and your motherboard. Some mobos waste a lot of time during POST which leades to increased boot times.

Mine for example, after being done with the POST, just sits there blinking a cursor for a full 2 seconds before Windows starts loading.

to reconfirm also check with other h/w"test s/ws.You can tweak windows OS for better booting speed if you knows "the tricks!

Brother , nothing to worry. I have used Phenom II x4 955 for 4 months .

AMD cpu's uses Cool and Quiet to save power and dessipate less heat from the processor. Whenever programs need more juice and 4 cores , the Cpu automatically revves itself to original frequency

If you use Winrar x64 while archiving a big file ( say 200mb ) with CPUz in background you will see your CPU's 3.4GHZ frequency

If you always wan't your CPU to run @ original frequncy irrespective of the job you are doing then , just turn off Cool and Quiet in bios.

Simple . Nothing to worry bro.

Back