Storage Solutions crashed hdd

hi everyone,
i have got 80GB/7200rpm/2M/PATA samsung hard disk which i bought on 29/10/05.the hdd has crashed.i tried in two other computers also.it was not detected in both.i dont have the warranty card.how can be the data in the disc retrieved when the hdd is not being detected by any pc?
OR if i send it to RMA(Return Material Authorization) of samsung,will i get a new hard disk?
thanks

Yeh mostly you don't need a bill to RMA the drive , they can check warranty period by serial number on drive . you can also check warranty status on samsung site ( google ) . You will get new drive if this drive is not very physically abused :)

if u want data recovery....ull hav to give it to pros....
it may cost u a bomb....
the cost will depend on size of hdd and most importantly the kind of damage...

do u hear wierd sounds from the hdd?
does it even spin up when connected?

One of the methods I have used before (sometimes even successfully) is to actually remove the drive from the PC, place it in the freezer for a day, then quickly put it back in the machine and try to access it. Why does this work? Who knows, but I heard about this tactic years ago, and it has saved my behind on a couple of occasions. (Of course, if it comes back up, back up the data immediately.... Guess that should go without saying.)

Some more tips :

Here are some drive recovery tricks that have worked for me, in the order that I do them. Try

booting the drive and copying the data off after every step.
1. Hold the drive upside down, making gravity change the head geometry ever so slightly. Vertical is also another option.
2. Slightly rap the drive with your knuckle, (but nowhere near hard enough to damage the drive).

3. Try the drive in another machine, (slight drive voltage change assumed to be the miracle worker here).

4. Rap the drive just SLIGHTLY harder than you did above in 2.

5. Freeze the hard drive in the freezer for two hours, and place in a plastic zip lock bag to prevent condensation from forming on the drive when you plug it back into the system, (head geometry, electrical resistance lowered, electrical contact points adjusted, etc., assumed to be

the miracle here).

6. After the drive warms up to room temperature or better, rap it even harder with your knuckle this time.

7. Repeat all of above steps on next day, as sometimes I've gotten data off drive simply by trying again.

thanks one and all..
@rapt0r
i had tried to see in warranty status in samsunghdd.com..but was of no use.
but i got it in samsungindia.com
@stellarhopper
yes..it wa sounding rapidly..but i didnt knew that it was hdd then:(
@aman.pitbull
i will definitely try the methods mentioned by you.i really hope that i could get back all the photographs i have in it back for which i dont have any back up:S
but while keeping the hdd in freezer,shouldnt i use any cover?

sharathpadaru said:
thanks one and all..
@rapt0r
i had tried to see in warranty status in samsunghdd.com..but was of no use.
but i got it in samsungindia.com
@stellarhopper
yes..it wa sounding rapidly..but i didnt knew that it was hdd then:(
@aman.pitbull
i will definitely try the methods mentioned by you.i really hope that i could get back all the photographs i have in it back for which i dont have any back up:S
but while keeping the hdd in freezer,shouldnt i use any cover?

well i have tried freezing with fully covered, moisture will cover inside and out side HDD even tightly packed.So there is danger of short circuit with moisture.Take care

Back