CPU/Mobo Crashy computer

i recently bought a 2500+ sempron, an asus k8v mx mobo and 1 gb of ram (hynix original) and installed my geforce fx 5200 on the mobos agp8x slot. while running certain games like cs source or farcry, the comp would suddenly freeze and stay that way and i'd have no choice but to restart the comp and start playing again until the same thing happens. so i have to actually pray and play at the same time, not for my life, but for my comp not to crash on me. while im not playing anything on the comp, it doesnt crash at all. its only ingame and sometimes it happens too often , or it has to happen atleast once in my gaming session.
i now bought a new 6600gt 128mb ddr on the day before and it ran well for the whole of the first day and then on the second day it was working fine and suddenly that freeze thing happened again. and when i restarted the comp and started playing quake 4, it happened again, and again, and again. i have the latest graphics drivers installed (with dx9.0c) and when i bought this comp the ram was tested with 0 errors too (thanks dj) so im not sure what the problem is. and when the comp restarted the cpu temp was 39 degrees and the mobo was 42. and the card usually is @ 53 - 65. i even tried opening the cabinet and facing it towards the fan (assuming it was the heat) but it crashed anyways after sometime.
:Comp3:

Hey Arun i recollect ur PSU.

Thats the one which is causing all this problems.

I had seen ur PSU , dude try the software called rthdribl
http://www.techenclave.com/forums/rthdribl-screenshots-test-ur-psu-and-65046-new-post.html

And using everest check ur voltages on all the rails.

I bet its the psu u had got is causing this issue.

Please download rthdribl and everst and post screenies.

If i recollect it had only 10 to 12Amps on the 12V rail that aint enuf for ur sys with 6600GT and i gig ram and ur optical drive and hdd.

get a powersafe 400W or 450W
check TE's market section if ne one has a second hand psu for sale
if u want to save money.

Do you have enuf free hard disk space, some games require from 2-4 gb of free space, also do you have virtual memory enabled if yes then what is the size of your virtual memory or paging file.

Did you try playing with lower settings.

Check if it a problem actually caused by the power supply first. Disconnect your Optical drives and try and work the system some.

Also is it one of the old Chinese PSU which allow you to attach a monitor to it? If so try and connect your monitor directly to the wall outlet instead of it trying to draw power from the SMPS.

Hey Arun its that same psu which u had shown me at that shop na
which u had exchanged.

12.74V on the 12V line , sunny u must see this ;)
12.74 is immpossible if that psu is the same which i am thinking u had got.
something is fishy.

Even my 500W powersafe comes to 11.78
and all the antecs come close to 11.99V[approx] when rthdribl is running.

@ dip
yeah i have alot of free hard disk space. i have 2 hard drives connected to my motherboard, a 40 gb hdd and a 10gb hdd. the 40 has the c and d drives and e drive is the 10 gb and ive got 1.5 gb of virtual memory there that ive now increased to 2.5. i havent checked yet, but lemme see what happens when i start playing quake 4 again.
and i tried 640x480 with no aa and normal graphics and it froze again.

@ darknight
it isnt an old chinese pcu where i connect my monitor to it, i however connect my monitor and cpu to my ups.

@quad
yes something is fishy....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back