Monitors CRTs vs LCDs; from a gaming perspective

Orija

Adept
So, I was all set to get the Dell U2311H for my new gaming pc when I came across threads on the net categorically stating that LCDs are nowhere near the quality of CRT monitors. What would be you guys' advice? I currently have a six year old, 17 inch, 1024x768 rezzed HP 7540 with an 80Hz refresh rate. Should I hang on it? (I hear screams from somewhere inside my head).

Also, I'm having this weird for a couple of years with my monitor in which the monitor settings menu comes up by itself and making changes to the settings randomly, would anyone know what that is caused by?

GPU: probably a 6950 or 570
CPU: i5 2500k

lol what's the point in getting i5+gfx card if you can't play in hd? your decision is already made for you; just get an lcd monitor.

Of course not, dudes. Was just wondering if getting a LCD doesn't turn out to be a downgrade from my humble CRT, s'all.

I was also on the same thing and didn't get a LCD siting eye strain and response time reasons, but when I got my my new Dell U2312HM I was blown away and will never go back to CRT again

But if you love your CRT(as me) you can try dual monitor setup(I know it sounds crazy), fortunately the width of my LCD was same as of CRT so it worked.

^ screen width of 23inch 16:9 monitor same as 4:3 crt?

was it a 25 inch crt you had?

or did you mean total width of monitor including bezel?

I still use my 15"CRT monitor. Never needed to upgrade my GPU(8800GTX) as it is capable of playing any game maxed out at full resolution(manitor's native).:p

@6pack: I mistakenly mentioned width, I meant height, including bezel(upper & lower), but due to huge resolution differences(1920X1080 vs 1024X768) it didn't look good, so scrapped it out

Back