Custom made Subwoofer Amp- Thiruvananthapuram ishtyle!

greenhorn

Patron
This is one of the first fruits of my looking for a cheap subwoofer. As is evidenced from this thread, mallus are quite a Hi Fi lot, right down to carrying a 2 in 1 on their shoulder when getting down from the plane from gelf :p , to some realy pro DIY folks like this guy sangram pointed me to once

Either way , there is a vast pool of local expertise. Well, enough of the talk.

Its a Big black Box- Yawn:bleh:

Hm, now it gets interesting. top left is the transformer, bottom left is the Power supply section. Center is the speaker protection, the board attached to the heat sink is the amp board. the board below it is the active crossover.

The power supply

The Amplifier!

right now its driving my xplod. Waiting for a sub of its own :)

is that cabby is readymade?

it is very neat one.these things r not available in my place.

nice setup congrats..pls add the details abt amp&filter.

the amp, erm, no idea. its output stage is discrete (HEXFET mosfets) . whatever you can get from the pic.

the cabinet .the shop said that its made to order for them. I think they'll sell as the cabinet alone.

the filter is an NE 5532 based. linear one . it has line level stereo in, stereo high pass line level out, and low pass mono out with a gain stage

greenhorn said:
This is one of the first fruits of my looking for a cheap subwoofer. As is evidenced from this thread, mallus are quite a Hi Fi lot, right down to carrying a 2 in 1 on their shoulder when getting down from the plane from gelf :p , to some realy pro DIY folks like this guy sangram pointed me to once

Either way , there is a vast pool of local expertise. Well, enough of the talk.

Its a Big black Box- Yawn:bleh:

Hm, now it gets interesting. top left is the transformer, bottom left is the Power supply section. Center is the speaker protection, the board attached to the heat sink is the amp board. the board below it is the active crossover.

The power supply

The Amplifier!

right now its driving my xplod. Waiting for a sub of its own :)

gud work..i do opt for da black fibre front panel.only difference is i get it don directly from the 'factory'..seems like all is from one shop(cab is totally familiar:) ).if u chose to use Xplod woofer,u cud hav bought da toshiba amp from them instead of hexfet.the plus point of using there cab is no nuts or bolts will be visible from outside..da cabin is custom made by the shop keeper for his boards to be fitted on.my latest work on progress is a little big one.had to get a 5 kilo watt stabilizer cabin to with stand da weight of all the transformers and amps and space prob(2.2 system).i thought of buyin there cabin first.(good metal work and powder coating)..try using a booster to 'boost' da volume cause Xplod's heavy!!da capacitors seems to be 4700*4?for Xplod giv atleast 10,000*4.i am using 40,000MFD for my boltons...difference is clearly audible!!seems like u r using ram's transformer(electro cub).gud for a single channel(4A?doesnt seem lik 5A:( ).did the shop keeper assembled it for u?looks just like his work:) .wats wid using 2 way active filter & 2.1 protection for a mono sub amp??just use a sub filter and booster board(they dont hav it,try wintek if its still available.i make mine wid NE's:) )or remove IC's 2 & 3.also remove those xtra trips from protection.if they assebled it for u,try biasin the amp again(i do)cause they always bias it way below safety margin.u got a good heat sink.bias in such a way dat it gets heated little faster.gd for bass response.last,they might hav used metal volume control,its really hard to get,but try to buy a plastic philips 100K log dual or atleast an elcon!!whether ur hexfet's 150's or 250's..if its 250's u cud even use +/-30V 6A transformer for better output!i prefer 250's.if u hav 150's,just change it to 250's:).also connect short protection.cant see it bein connected in pic.if u wanna need any boards,which i altered to my specifications,let me know.i hav spare filter boards,tone controls,head pre's,heads(AX sand,alpine glass,philips),FM(philips),transistor and IC amps,caps etc!:)

exept the screws used to fit transformer,heatsink & connectors will be visible from outside :ashamed:

waiting for sub!!oh i shall let u know abt boltons 2mrow!:)

:thumb: gud!

faheem_m said:
congrats greenhorn !!
and seriously ..guys where do you learn all this stuff from ??

i learned all dis stuff myself...normally ppl learn it in elec: classes lik any other stuff!:) .dats much better..self learnin comes with cracks & booms & few 'shock'in moments!!:D

leomax said:
Nice caab,just power vol instead of thousands of useless stuff :p

'Kuntrandam' :p

those thousands of stuff aint useless..i prefer thousands of stuff cause they help to make the sound of amp to suit our tastes & to different kind of music played!!:) ,not for minimalist though.afterall a sub doesnt need much other than a volume control..phase control,frequency level..etc would be usefull.my minimalist approach wud be a minimum of 6 controls & 1-3 switches & on the front panel..dats all:( :)

shershah said:
gud work..i do opt for da black fibre front panel.only difference is i get it don directly from the 'factory'..seems like all is from one shop(cab is totally familiar:) ).if u chose to use Xplod woofer,u cud hav bought da toshiba amp from them instead of hexfet.the plus point of using there cab is no nuts or bolts will be visible from outside..da cabin is custom made by the shop keeper for his boards to be fitted on.my latest work on progress is a little big one.had to get a 5 kilo watt stabilizer cabin to with stand da weight of all the transformers and amps and space prob(2.2 system).i thought of buyin there cabin first.(good metal work and powder coating)..try using a booster to 'boost' da volume cause Xplod's heavy!!da capacitors seems to be 4700*4?for Xplod giv atleast 10,000*4.i am using 40,000MFD for my boltons...difference is clearly audible!!seems like u r using ram's transformer(electro cub).gud for a single channel(4A?doesnt seem lik 5A:( ).did the shop keeper assembled it for u?looks just like his work:) .wats wid using 2 way active filter & 2.1 protection for a mono sub amp??just use a sub filter and booster board(they dont hav it,try wintek if its still available.i make mine wid NE's:) )or remove IC's 2 & 3.also remove those xtra trips from protection.if they assebled it for u,try biasin the amp again(i do)cause they always bias it way below safety margin.u got a good heat sink.bias in such a way dat it gets heated little faster.gd for bass response.last,they might hav used metal volume control,its really hard to get,but try to buy a plastic philips 100K log dual or atleast an elcon!!whether ur hexfet's 150's or 250's..if its 250's u cud even use +/-30V 6A transformer for better output!i prefer 250's.if u hav 150's,just change it to 250's:).also connect short protection.cant see it bein connected in pic.if u wanna need any boards,which i altered to my specifications,let me know.i hav spare filter boards,tone controls,head pre's,heads(AX sand,alpine glass,philips),FM(philips),transistor and IC amps,caps etc!:)

the xplod is temporary. I'm waiting for your stuff :p

yes , i paid him-apparently it was assembled elsewhere - picked it up from enchakkal -thats where it was made apparently

I dont think i'll be needing a booster- the amp I'm using them is a 12WX2 RMS old panasonic stereo. has a STK 435 IC inside it. The sub at half volume is more than enough :D

i asked for the stereo filter because i need to connect the stereo filter output to the panasonic music system. besides, i'm thinking of putting in a small stereo amp board in there- he also said that it would be easy to do that - everything else is there, the protection, the heat sink and mounting locations etc

I'm planning to remove the pot at the input , and planning to use it to control the sub volume at the filter's sub woofer output. The filter uses NE5532's .

the HEXFET's are 150's ... cant you see them from the pic :ashamed:

I'm not planning to mod it any time soon these days . If it isn't broke, I'm not fixing it :p

heh, even I've got some spares for my deck lying around. drive belts and some glass alps heads, but once i got a PC, never used a cassette again. my cassette collection is gathering dust :( . pretty much bought out all the foreign cassettes that they sold for 10 bucks on the east fort footpaths :p

shershah said:
i learned all dis stuff myself...normally ppl learn it in elec: classes lik any other stuff!:) .dats much better..self learnin comes with cracks & booms & few 'shock'in moments!!:D

hehe yeah. I actually chose electronics & communication to learn all this. All i got from the lecturers was " out of syllabus" :mad: Ended up learning all of it myself. The cracks and booms when learning is fun... when i was putting together my first PSU with a 5A transformer, the neighbourhood kids exploded a very loud cracker ( it was deepavali time ) I was mentally shocked :S

then during final year, we had to put something together in a week which would otherwise take a month.. we were doing all nighters, and one morning , sat on a soldering iron, and shorted it, and burnt my ass :bleh:

shershah said:
those thousands of stuff aint useless..i prefer thousands of stuff cause they help to make the sound of amp to suit our tastes & to different kind of music played!!:) ,not for minimalist though.afterall a sub doesnt need much other than a volume control..phase control,frequency level..etc would be usefull.my minimalist approach wud be a minimum of 6 controls & 1-3 switches & on the front panel..dats all:( :)

shershah, I do most of the controls in software -ie in the player. you'd be suprised how much can be done with software. foobar is very configurable, ffdshow audio decoder also has a TON of options

have you used izotope ozone? it can make anything sound better. also, jammix is a good winamp plugin to boost bass ;)

more importantly, all this is free compared to the cash you'd spend on doing this in hardware ;)

oops..i didnt see whether its 150 or 250!:ashamed: .150's fine!!ur idea of connecting it to ur computer is gud.i used to do dat once..the money for pre-amp and all the potentios r saved..mine has realtek sound card.there EQ is gud!but i'm not using this method anymor.i hav loads of cd's.i lik to hear gud old CD tracks.i dont prefer mp3's..no matter how much i hv 2 spend,i will go for the original cd's cause i believe nothing match factory recording quality.cant afford,otherwise i wud hav gone for SACD's.for me CD sound is better than mp3.not many ppl agree with me & say that i'm wastin money!mayb..but i cant help it:) .my bro brought a 2.1 system for my computer frm maldives..sounds & looks good!also i prefer good old analogue sound.i still prefer usin my old thomson cd player connected to my amp.my system has a separate section in my house.just my CD player,amp & spkrs.i cant think of an amp without a pre-amp & controls tweaked accordin to my specs!dont know how ur Xplod woofers which r usually rated above 250watts can go loud on a below 100watt amp!i still believe using toshiba's for Xplod..gonna shake the whole building..i prefer lots of amp power in reserve by using hi power amps with low watt,high db,8ohms+ speakers!there is som kinda openess,a feel of maturity & power in overall music reproduction!after all it depends on different tastes.i'm not only makin it for me but aims to sell it one day:)

Back