CPU/Mobo Customizing a DELL PC?

simph

Disciple
I have read a few threads having comments regarding the customization of a DELL PC (after purchase) and the overall cost of a DELL being rather good.
So I set out to find out exactly what can be done with a future perspective (and found a very important question in the process).

This is the system I'm using as the baseline.
Dell Vostro 200 Slim Tower Desktop
http://dellstoreroa01.sg.dell.com/p...p?fromcart=Y&prd_id=41834&sr_no=4&line_item=N
The core config is as follows:
Base System Intel(R) Pentium(TM) Dual-Core Processor E2140 1
Operating System Genuine Windows Vista(TM) Home Basic 32 bit (English) 1
Adobe reader (English)
Memory 1GB (2X512MB) NECC Dual Channel DDR2 667MHz SDRAM Memory 1
Keyboard Dell(TM) USB Quietkey(R) Keyboard(English) 1
Mouse Dell(TM) Optical USB Mouse 1
Dell(TM) Mouse Mat
Hard Drive 160GB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive with Native Command Queuing 1
Optical Drives 48X CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive 1
Roxio Creator 9.0
Software Microsoft(R) Works 8.5 (Does Not Include Microsoft(R) Office 2003/2007 Software) 1
Word Processor/Spreadsheet/Database/Calendar/Powerpoint viewer/Email Tools

Security Software McAfee(R) Security Center(TM) - 15 Months OEM 1

Video Card Integrated Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 1
Display 19" Entry Wide Screen Flat Panel LCD Monitor (Analog & DVI Only) 1
Vostro Desktop-MT Handling & Insurance Charges
Sound Card Integrated 7.1 Audio 1
Speakers No Speaker
Dell Services: Hardware Maintenance 1 Year CompleteCover 1

1 Year Telephone Technical Support (9am To 6pm, Monday - Friday)
For more details, see www.dell.co.in /completecover
Dell's Terms and Conditions apply
1-Year Limited Warranty (Next Business Day Service - parts & labour)
Network Assistant Dell Network Assistance - 12 Months Subscription 1

Delivery & Freight Charges Delivery Charges (India) 1

Total
Total Amount Rs 25,053.00
Total Amount Before Tax Rs 25,053.00
CD/CVD/Excise Duty Rs 3,096.55
CST / VAT Rs 0.00
Total Amount Before OCTROI TAX Rs 28,149.55
OCTROI Rs 0.00
Total Tax Rs 3,096.55
Total Amount After Tax Rs 28,149.55

Now that configuration is a good basic PC in my opinion. So what is required to make this a decent Gaming PC.

A graphics card
A better processor
More RAM - Add 2500 to the cost and we can have aftermarket 2 GB more, for a total of 3 GB Dual Channel (2x512 + 2x1 GB)

All of these can be purchased at anytime, and for cheaper at a later time.
For example this being on the core architecture Dell gives options upto the E6750 on the same system.
In a year's time we should be able to upgrade to a better processor (although most prolly not 45 Nm)

Then I realized that Graphics cards are some of the most upgraded peripherals ever.
The Enthusiastic crowd always has an older spare (atleast I used to when I was 'more enthusiastic) which can be borrowed (he he).
A decent current mid-range performs around the same area or a little less than most top-range of the last gen.

So if someone is a home PC user with year-old gaming habit (Means you have not finished playing games released around a Year Back), this should be a nice stable future proof investment.

The additional costs after a year should be able 5000 Rs for the process and about 5000 to 6000 Rs for a Graphics card, which should keep him on top for a while.
I have a spare 7900 GTX nearby. So if I were to go for this setup today, I should be able to play most games decently.
Ofcourse the CPU will be a limitation, but I mostly play 1280 max. So I don't see it interfering much.

Now for the question on my mind. WIll the power supply be the same in all the options that DELL Gives. If the Graphics upgrades and the CPU upgrades that are provided in the customization options of DELL all work on the same powersupply, the later upgrades would not affect. However, what if DELL changes the power supply too? Then all the argument goes to waste.

Esp for someone who might be too lazy to assemble his own PC today, but is okay with changing a couple of parts or so later this is cool. The big advantage I see in doing this is, can we save ourselves from having to run around scounting for each and every part and then assemble individually and then have individual warranty. With Dell you get a single Warranty for everything, a year of technical support (Yeah right !!!!) and driver support for the most part. As long as you are not buying a FreeDOS system from any OEM (Dell doesn't have any DOS/LInux options in INdia) you always get decent driver support.

Alright, now let's see what you guys can come up with for the same cost and similar upgrade options and let's together try to find out, what is the DELL Tax is it worth paying. I'll try and keep the config updated with Dell's latest prices, so that noobs can decide about their options.

Unless its an XPS series , don't rely on Dell providing a good PSU for their machines. I have seen several powerful workstations at office with underpowered (250W) PSU's. They will just put in the absolute min required to run the config you have selected.

Hmmm so that adds 3000 Rs to the upgrade costs :) (CM 600?)

I'm just not sure that they have a seperate PSU for each customer. Wouldn't it be lesser trouble having one PSU? (Not a highend one, but still one)

So if it can handle a CPU + Graphics upgrade on the spot ... It should be able to deal with it a year from now. But your post makes sense. I'll try and find out from the market as to what really they send out each time.

Time to call the Helpdesk :) ?

Back