Daboo Ratnani in the making..

Alright, i know, tht sounds wayyy too far fetched, but as a beginner, wots the harm in dreaming..? :rofl: So here's my equipment which will hopefully teach me a lesson or two in photography..:p

Canon S3 IS : Bought it from Heera Panna, Mumbai for 12.1k. The price difference between the S3 and S5 was negligible (2.4k) and at the shop, i was kinda tilting towards S5, but the shop owner suggested me to go for the S3. Also, i had already read a lot about the noise issues of the S5 at higher ISOs especially in low lighting due to the higher res CCD and some barrel distortion as well..so skipped the idea of getting it when the S3 was giving the same quality of pics at a lower price..:) I'm learning photography as a hobby n i hope, this cam will give me a jumpstart in better photography..:p

For the time being, here are the pics of the cam taken with my P990i..i need to learn a few things about the controls b4 i start taking pics with the S3...n i hate the Auto mode...so, i'm not evn trying to take pics in auto mode..:p

Nuff talking..here are some pics of the cam..:p

DSC00202.jpg

DSC00206.jpg

DSC00204.jpg

Total Damage :

Canon S3 IS : 12.1K

Sandisk 2 gb sd : 0.9k

Carrying case : 0.5k

Uniross Charger with 4 2500mah NIMH cells : 1.1k

Total : Rs. 14.6k :)

Thanks a lot, guys...:) Lets see if i can bring out the hidden shutterbug in me..:lol: Btw, though i have accumulated some information to get me started, if u guys know of any good online guide on better photography, then pls let me know..:)

Quad Master said:
Congrats on ur S3 IS. :)

So u mean to say S3 IS is better than S5 IS , i am thinking about S5 IS.

S5 IS was for 14.5K acc to you @ HP.

@Quad : S3 is not better than S5..i never said tht..:p What i meant was, tht the 'improvements' made in S5 over the S3 are not worth the extra dough, imo..:p Many sites are of the view tht with the S5, they have stretched the sensor to its limits to get the 8 mp resolution and tht makes noise more apparent at higher ISOs and in low light conditions..thr is slightly more purple fringing and a bit more barrel distortion than the S3. But neways, u are getting a higher res cam, a hot shoe for external flash and a larger lcd (which gobbles battery power faster.:p). So its upto you to decide whether the 'improvements' in the S5 are really worth the extra money or not..:p Also they have done away with the time lapse photo function which is thr in the S3 IS called 'Intervalometer' in the S5. So the review sites say..:p

You can check out this review b4 u make any purchase decisions. :) DCRP Review: Canon PowerShot S5 IS

Go thru a few more review sites...i spent a good deal of 10-15 days going thru all the review sites and photography forums before i made a decision. And of course, special thanks to TechHead and others for helping me out in making a decision ..:)

i have both the cams the S5 is better.

Face recog & bigger Lcd are a definate plus.

Also Barrel distortion in more in my S3 than S5 but differs from each piece.

Nice buy, but I feel you should have gotten the S5, the store guy misguided you I feel to clear off his old stock. High ISO performance on the S5 is a LOT better than S3 (Due to the improved Digic 3 processing) and farookh mentioned the bigger LCD does help.

For learning concepts, read through the Understanding Series at Luminous Landscape, and browse through Fred Miranda's forums for lots of info.

Thanks guys..:)

Anish said:
Nice buy, but I feel you should have gotten the S5, the store guy misguided you I feel to clear off his old stock. High ISO performance on the S5 is a LOT better than S3 (Due to the improved Digic 3 processing) and farookh mentioned the bigger LCD does help.

For learning concepts, read through the Understanding Series at Luminous Landscape, and browse through Fred Miranda's forums for lots of info.

Actually when i had gone thr, he first showed me the S5 only. It was i who asked him to show the S3 since i had gone loaded with all the info from the reviews and forums..:p But after taking a look at the S5, i was tilting a bit towards it. So i asked him, whether it wud be good to go for the S5. He didnt know much about the technical stuff, but said tht the S5 gives less shots per battery charge. And tht was correct acc. to the reviews. So he said, tht way, it was better to get the S3 IS.

Btw, its only been a day and he has given me 7 days time in case anything goes wrong, he'll replace it. So i guess, he shudnt have problems with me getting a costlier piece, since, it'll be profitable for him....So,shud i replace it for the S5? :S

^ If I were you, yes, I'd probably switch to the S5. The improved IS system and much better colour rendition are well worth the extra 2.5k :)

Thanks Ank1t and audiophile2rock..:) Will post the pics soon..:p

Anish said:
Lmao, poor guy, he's just bought a prosumer cam, you want him to go broke so soon? :rofl:

kippu said:
he wants to be a daboo ratani :p

Lol...:rofl: Seriously, it'll be sometime b4 i spend any more on a cam...:ashamed: Besides, i was looking for something tht'll take good pics and occasionally some videos..afterall, u dont carry the camcorder with u always..:p Now DSLRs wud mean an out an out still image shooter(a pretty good one at tht though..:p )..so skipped the idea of getting one..otherwise i wud have gone for the Nikon D40 which is available for less than 20k in grey market..:p

Anish, today i went back to the shop and asked him if he wud replace the S3 for the S5..he said, he had no problems, but he didnt have it in stock and said tht it'll take about a week to get one..:( But he also showed me the Sony DSC H7 and H9 priced at 15k & 16k respectively..He was all gaga for those 2 models..but i was kinda wary so i came back home with the S3 IS not knowing what to do..:p

So can u help me out make a decision? Is the Sony Cybershot H7/H9 a good cam?? (better or similar to the S5?? :S )

Back