'Data Execution Prevention ' warning while opening IE8

funti

Disciple
Hey guys,

I just installed IE8 and when I restarted my computer and opened IE8 I got the warning message from "Data Execution Prevention" which prevented IE8 from opening. I added IE8 in DEP's exception list but the problem continued. I couldn't uninstall IE8 so I used System Restore to get back to previous installation (which had IE7). But after restarting computer I was not able to even start IE7. After opening it shut down automatically. I then reinstalled IE7 but the problem remained. I also reinstalled IE8 but DEP's problem remained too. Now I have computer with non-working IE7 and IE8. What should I do? I use Win XP SP3 as my OS. Please help!!

funti said:
Hey guys,

I just installed IE8 and when I restarted my computer and opened IE8 I got the warning message from "Data Execution Prevention" which prevented IE8 from opening. I added IE8 in DEP's exception list but the problem continued. I couldn't uninstall IE8 so I used System Restore to get back to previous installation (which had IE7). But after restarting computer I was not able to even start IE7. After opening it shut down automatically. I then reinstalled IE7 but the problem remained. I also reinstalled IE8 but DEP's problem remained too. Now I have computer with non-working IE7 and IE8. What should I do? I use Win XP SP3 as my OS. Please help!!

I suppose you have installed IE8 beta1... please install IE8 final version.

I have IE8 Final and not beta. And I can't ditch IE completely as some sites still work only on IE
30.png

funti said:
I have IE8 Final and not beta. And I can't ditch IE completely as some sites still work only on IE
30.png

Uninstall IE 8 completely:

Start -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs ->Show updates -> check box if it isn't already -> select Windows Internet Explorer 8 -> click Remove

Also uninstall all toolbar and addons for IE like Google toolbar etc.

Now open IE7.. if IE7 fails to open -> just reinstall IE7.

1) In Internet Explorer 7 -> Tools ->Internet Options -> Advanced -> click Reset.

2) Follow any on-screen directions.

3) Close Internet Explorer 7.

4) Reinstall Internet Explorer 8.

if ur using Win XP SP3 and installed IE8 too.. there is not returning back to prev version of IE. link

Microsoft is warning users of Windows XP Service Pack 3 that they may not be able to uninstall either the service pack or Internet Explorer 8.

Its better if u try to reinstall IE8 or use other browser. try the IE addon in ff to display sites as in IE.

MaRKiV said:
if ur using Win XP SP3 and installed IE8 too.. there is not returning back to prev version of IE. link

Its better if u try to reinstall IE8 or use other browser. try the IE addon in ff to display sites as in IE.

only in case you install IE8 before installing SP3 on win XP :)

I uninstalled and reinstalled IE7 and IE8 individually and none of them is working now. The IE Quick Launch never appears and whenever I open IE from Start Menu it opens and then disappears. Will I need to reinstall Windows? :(

funti said:
I uninstalled and reinstalled IE7 and IE8 individually and none of them is working now. The IE Quick Launch never appears and whenever I open IE from Start Menu it opens and then disappears. Will I need to reinstall Windows? :(

Uninstall IE7 and IE8 from control panel.

use cCleaner to clean up your system -> download latest IE7 from here:

Internet Explorer 7: Get It Now

Install IE7-> Now IE7 should work.

Now Install IE8 -> Now IE should work.

Let me know, if you still have problem.

OK...I have IE8 up and running now. I think it was some add-ons which were activating DEP. So I choose "AlwaysOff" DEP - removed the add-ons and restarted the comp. IE8 was running fine so I set DEP to "OptOut" again (which is by default) and everything is running fine. Thanx everyone.

In that case, I think IE also has a mode in which you can start without add ons (add -extoff to the end of the shortcut string), which you can use for trying to debug the issue.

Recently i come across with a problem :
Some sites are not opening in IE6, then I installed IE7 still same problem. Then I googled found Spyware/Malware suggestion, I scanned and removed, now working fine.

Turn off DEP , Simple.

Run a command prompt as administrator. From the start menu, select "All Programs", then "Accessories" and right-click on the "Command Prompt" shortcut and choose "Run As Administrator". From here you can use the following command to disable Data Execution Prevention (DEP) with the following command:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

Keeping your command prompt open, run your setup or other process being stopped by DEP. Then, to turn it back on again, do the same and run the following:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn

Restart your PC after every change made.

Cheers

1. Bcdedit only works with Vista and above (OP has XP SP3).

2. In general, keeping DEP off is not recommended beyond simple debugging purposes.

3. You can actually just choose to keep DEP off on specific programs, so the boot technique is overkill.

Actually the problems I faced were not that simple: I originally had IE7 and I simply installed IE8 over it. After computer restart when I opened IE8 I got DEP message. I went to "System" under Control Panel and opted to activate DEP for all programs except IE. But even this prevented IE from opening and I still got DEP message. I tried opening IE8 without addons but even this method failed too. So I thought of removing IE8 by resorting to System Restore but then this led to my computer without working IE(7). I then removed and reinstalled IE7 but whenever I clicked on the icon IE opened for few seconds and closed again. I then completely removed IE and ran CCleaner several times. I then tried reinstalling IE7 again but the problem remained. So I went ahead with IE8 installation. Now IE8 opened the homepage but then DEP error came back. This time I edited boot.ini for DEP and chose "AlwaysOff" (not recommended though). Now I was able to open IE8 and use it properly. I then uninstalled all the addons and re-edited boot.ini for DEP to its default value of "OptOut". After computer restart IE8 is up and running without any problem.

Back