Dbz live action movie confirmed and gets an August release date

F-0ccY

Skilled
Anime adaptation gets an August release date.

Hot on the heels of yesterday's casting news, we've also learnt that the forthcoming live-action Dragon Ball movie will be released next summer.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Twentieth Century Fox have announced that the production will hit screens world wide on August 15, 2008.

Stephen Chow, who directed the frenetic action-comedies Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer, is set to produce, while Final Destination helmer James Wong will direct and has also re-written the original script by Ben Ramsey.

As previously reported, Justin Chatwin will star as the heroic Goku, whilst James "Spike from Buffy" Marsters will play the villainous daemon-king Piccolo.

Source

DBZ's Goku and Piccolo picked
Two major bits of Dragon Ball Z casting news for you: The roles of Goku and Piccolo have been cast.

According to Variety, Justin Chatwin will play Goku, the powerful warrior who protects the Earth from endless hordes of evil creatures hell-bent on dominating the universe and harnessing the power of the titular, mystically powered orbs.

The villainous demon king Piccolo will be played by James Marsters, who made his name playing peroxide-blond bloodsucker Spike in Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel.

Chatwin doesn't have a huge amount on his CV. He had a small role in War of the Worlds and has also popped up in Lost and Smallville.

Apparently, he has already been training with 87Eleven, the stunt performance company behind the action sequences in The Matrix, 300 and The Bourne Supremacy.

Since the end of Buffy meanwhile, Marsters has been playing Professor Milton Fine in Smallville, and will also appear in the rom-com P.S., I Love You with Hilary Swank.

Final Destination helmer James Wong will direct the project, which is due to start shooting later this month.

These castings kind of make sense to us, visually at least, but what do you guys think?

Source
Zomg YAYZORZ!!!!!...I can't believe its actually happening!...I'm soo happy right now I can jump off a building, but I wont.:clap: :clap: :clap: :hap2:

Holy ****! So it finally goes through. I was hoping for a CG movie though (like TMNT). Live action will definitely take a lot of work when it comes to special effects because that is what fights in DBZ are all about, from the moment they start to powerup and shake the entire planet as a side effect to throwing punches which outputs shockwaves strong enough to cripple mountains.

Params7 said:
Holy ****! So it finally goes through. I was hoping for a CG movie though (like TMNT). Live action will definitely take a lot of work when it comes to special effects because that is what fights in DBZ are all about, from the moment they start to powerup and shake the entire planet as a side effect to throwing punches which outputs shockwaves strong enough to cripple mountains.
Well, I just hope half the movie doesnt go in powering up for one shot :rofl: :bleh:

Saiyan said:
OMG, This is great!! I'll be waiting for this eagerly :D:D

Ofcourse you would be. We all know that. :eek:hyeah: Lets hope the action in this one is good:D

DBZ franchise has been dead since 1996 when GT ended, which was kind of a crap series when compared to DBZ, which ended in 1992, and since then has gotten nothing new except videogames.

And after nearly 2 decades, they confirm a movie.

Hell yeah I'm excited!!

I can imagine how the fight scenes could play out....just watch the final fight scene between Neo vs Agent Smith in Revolution, you'll get a pretty clear idea of how the fight sequences could look like.

Oh and just multiply it by x10 and you'll get the idea :p

Params7 said:
Wonder what plot they'll play with, they can only handle just one saga in a 2 hour movie. And by CG, I meant something like these :

YouTube - Budokai Tenkaichi Intro

YouTube - Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 2 Intro

If they remastered the whole DBZ series this way, there would be nothing like it.

Off topic:

Are any of the DBZ PS2 games available in India (PAL Edition) ?

F|0ccY said:
I can imagine how the fight scenes could play out....just watch the final fight scene between Neo vs Agent Smith in Revolution, you'll get a pretty clear idea of how the fight sequences could look like.

Oh and just multiply it by x10 and you'll get the idea :p

That wouldn't even come close to a DBZ fight... But it all depends on how they finally end up making the movie.

Lord Nemesis said:
That wouldn't even come close to a DBZ fight... But it all depends on how they finally end up making the movie.

I never said it WILL look like that, I said you'll get an idea of how the fight scenes would be like...

Yes PS2 DBZ games are avaliable in India.

DBZ was the first thing that came to my mind 10 seconds after Neo took to the air when I was watching his fight with Neo in Revolutions for the first time.

Watch Kung Fu Hustle, it comes even closer to DBZ than that fight in Revolutions.

Params7 said:
DBZ was the first thing that came to my mind 10 seconds after Neo took to the air when I was watching his fight with Neo in Revolutions for the first time.

Watch Kung Fu Hustle, it comes even closer to DBZ than that fight in Revolutions.

lol.. Especially that Buddha's Palm move in the last fight. :p

Params7 said:
Wonder what plot they'll play with, they can only handle just one saga in a 2 hour movie. And by CG, I meant something like these :
YouTube - Budokai Tenkaichi Intro
YouTube - Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 2 Intro
If they remastered the whole DBZ series this way, there would be nothing like it.
are these games for the pc too???
And since when did picolo become demon king????:rofl:
man i jus watched the dragonballz series...no gt either!!!:ashamed:
so any dbz action i can get considering i've seen only d 1st series till "buu" saga...:ashamed:

Party Monger said:
are these games for the pc too???
And since when did picolo become demon king????:rofl:
man i jus watched the dragonballz series...no gt either!!!:ashamed:
so any dbz action i can get considering i've seen only d 1st series till "buu" saga...:ashamed:

Nope the DBZ fighting games were only on PS2, Wii, the original XBOX, dream cast and PSP. PC has DBZ characters and games for MUGEN.

As for Piccolo, The one you in DBZ and his father (King Piccolo) were villains in two different sagas of the original dragon ball series.

If they are casting Piccolo as the villain, then they have selected the story from be Pre-DBZ era. So it would probably not be as as fun we think it would be. No need for a lot of fancy special effects.

man imagine the shouting in theatres KAAAAAAAAAMMMMMEEEEAHMEEHAAAAAA!
whne goku finishes this move ithink we will be deaf by then
hope they make the legendary fight between goku and vegeta in the firs saiyan saga .all those flashing lights are sure to give us schizophrenia

Well, they haven't stated which Sagas they would cover in the movie, so lets hope and see if they base the movie on the original storyline or they create a separate storyline like how they did for the movies and somehow link it to the original story of the series.

Wow!! This is awesome, I am so excited! I think the characters playing Goku and Piccolo are perfect. At first I was unsure about the character from "The Invisible" playing Goku but I went to IMDB and looked at his main pic and he could deffinately pull off Goku if he shaved, died his hair black and put it straight up. Wow, I so cant wait for this :) I have to finish watching DBZ im only half way through it.

More DBZ Cast News

Jamie Chung to play Chi Chi.

Jamie Chung has joined Justin Chatwin and James 'Spike from Buffy' Marsters in the cast of the new live-action Dragon Ball movie.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Chung, is set to play Chi Chi, the love interest of lead character Goku.

Chung's doesn't exactly have a wealth of acting experience, with bit parts in Veronica Mars, CSI: NY and a run on MTV's The Real World about the most impressive entries on her resume.

Hong Kong mayhem-meister Stephen Chow (Shaolin Soccer, Kung Fu Hustle), is set to produce, with Dragon Ball hitting screens on August 15, 2008.

Source

Back