PC Peripherals DDR 333MHz RAM upgrade ;)

DarkAngel

Skilled
The system(HCL Ezeebee-nearly 4 yrs old) that my parents have has the following config
P4-2.26 GHz
8I845GVM-RZ MOBO
256MB 333MHz DDR RAM
The system is mainly used for browsing and office applications and occasionally photoshop 8 is used... I feel there isn't enough juice in the system... Thought of buying a 512MB DDR 400MHz RAM but the mobo site says only 266/333 GHz is supported:mad: So what upgrade do u people suggest... A 512MB or a 1GB??? Will 1.25GB for this system will provide enough juice for vista basic:eek:hyeah: Is the premium of 70% cash for 1 GB over 512MB translate into atleast 50% jump in performance.. Suggestions plz.....:huh:

The answer is NO. You will only get a minor performance increase..
And spending so much for DDR1 RAM is worthless.. The cost of 1GB DDR1 400MHz RAM is almost equal to 1GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM..

You better upgrade your proccy, mobo and RAM.. like:
E2200 @ 3k
G31 mobo @ 2.2k
2GB DDR2 800 @ 1k

Will give a huge performance boost to your PC.. :D

Cant spend so much... Its not worth it for just browsing.... They plan to run this system till it smokes..... :eek:hyeah: So is a 512MB upgrade enough to keep it future proof(for XP,browsing and MS Office 2007):D

@Varz... So is 512MB 333MHz will do for this system??? Or will a 1GB addition(1.25GB total) run VISTA BASIC atleast smoothly????

1.25 GB should be able to run vista....but i think it needs a GPU to run the Aero Effects...

which card do you have...??

VaRz said:
1.25 GB should be able to run vista....but i think it needs a GPU to run the Aero Effects...
which card do you have...??
This mobo doesn't even have a AGP slot :no: But Basic edition has no aero effects right....

mihirpradhan204 said:
BTW, for internet surfing, why do you need Vista??
You can very well do it on XP.. Or even choose Ubuntu for that..
Thought Vista will be a bit more secure and visually appealing than XP and my parents dunno to operate Linux:(

VaRz said:
the RAM upgrade is fine as long as it is being used for basic purposes like word processing,etc...

+1...ram upgrade would be better for browsing,office applications etc....rather than upgrading your system...use till it lasts..

why not install vista theme pack for XP?
try selling the old RAM&buy 2*512MB sticks....you can buy DDR 400mhz for your RAM but your mobo will run it at 333mhz...so don't go hunting for DDR333mhz stick..:)

sri_k said:
+1...ram upgrade would be better for browsing,office applications etc....rather than upgrading your system...use till it lasts..

why not install vista theme pack for XP?
try selling the old RAM&buy 2*512MB sticks....you can buy DDR 400mhz for your RAM but your mobo will run it at 333mhz...so don't go hunting for DDR333mhz stick..:)

Gigabyte site says the mobo supports only 333/266MHz RAM... Will the mobo still support 400MHz DDR and run it at lower speeds:huh:

Karthi007 said:
Gigabyte site says the mobo supports only 333/266MHz RAM... Will the mobo still support 400MHz DDR and run it at lower speeds:huh:

AFAIK all DDR1 ram are backward compatible...so it should run at 333mhz

I know two different DDR2 frequenies can run together... But will a 333MHz and 400 MHz DDR RAM work toghther... Anyone who has done it??? Pls throw some light into it:(

Back