PC Peripherals DDR3 or DDR2??

rahulhbk

Disciple
hi guys.. I've decided to wait it out until Nehalem before changing my CPU.. unfortunately my Mobo seems to disagree with me.. :mad:
So right now i've an upgrade budget of 50k + wutever i get for the old parts.. And another 30k when Nehalem comes out + wutever i get for proccy + mobo then..
My current config is this
Core 2 Quad Q6600 B3 :hap2: | XFX 650i Ultra :mad: | GeForce 8600GT DDR2 512MB :( | 2048MB Trancesnd 667MHZ | Viewsonic 1930wm | CoolerMaster ExtremePower 600w :S | Segate 500GB 7200.11 :eek:hyeah: | 250GB 7200.10 | iball Key/ mouse combo | Zebby pleasent cabby :mad: |

Mobo and cabby i'll DEFINATELY change.. All other parts are on a need to change basis.. What do u guys suggest would be a good upgrade choice?

Coming to the topic at hand.. Would it be wise to go for DDR3 now? or should i get DDR2 and upgrade tht too when Nehalem comes?

Also if DDR3 then which ones? Here's somethng that i found on the egg.. which one's better?
DDR3 1600
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

DDR3 1800
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

DDR3 2000

Lastly which DDR3 mobo to go with the above RAM? I was thinking of getting a cheap Asus P5KC or somethng but i don't think it even supports that high speed RAM.. And getting nethng lower in DDR3 wont even be worth it.. :S

Current upgrade choices are like this
PSU - Corsair HX620 = 6.5k
Cabby - CM690 = 4-4.5k
Cooling - Fans for CM690 + AS5 + Maybe CPU cooler = 5k
Total - 16k approx

Leaves 34k for the rest of the stuff + wht i get from old parts..
Option 1
DDR3 + compatible mobo = 25k
ATI HD 4850 - 11k
Total 36k approx

Option 2
DDR2 + Abit IP35E = 10k approx
ATI HD 4850 - 11k
24" LCD - Whichever's the best in the budget..
Total 42k approx

What do i go for?? :huh:
And any idea's abt how much i'll get for wut i sell??:hap2:
I'm thinking somethng like
8600GT - 2.5k
RAM - local buyer willing to take for 1.4k
650i ultra - 3k
1930wm - 6k(has developed a few dead pixels i think yday :mad: a small spot in the upper half of the display.. hardly noticable though.. :S Is it convered under the warranty?? :S )
PSU - 2.5k
Cabby - .5k to local buyer
Total 15.9k :hap2: Prices too high?? :S :ashamed:

I would suggest waiting for nehalem, but if the current config needs upgrading then stick with ddr2 and do not sell it. Option 2 is what I would recommend.

^^ same option 2 is better u need u update lcd 24 is recommend

don't update p35 abit get 4870 + 24 lcd u need max setting at 1920x1600 for getting better fps

from what i gather from that insane post :) , your motherboard is busted

i suggest to get just another mobo(maybe ip-35e from abit) and you ALREADY have ddr2 ram(which will run at 800mhz too mostly), so just change the mobo

if you want, get a new case too....but dont get a cpu cooler because the socket for nehalem will be different so we dont know yet whether existing coolers will fit onto that

you can get a new graphics card and swap it into the new machine when nehalem comes out....but you will have to get a good quality psu.... is suggest to invest in something like a corsair hx620 so that you can use it in the future too

dont buy ddr3 right now, wait....the prices will surely drop
SUMMARY:: dont spend 50k now :D
get new gpu,mobo,psu,cabby NOT RAM

corsair hx620
abit ip-35e
cm690 cabby + case fans(NO cpu cooler)
maybe a 4870 (will be like 16-17k i guess)

LATER,
proccy,mobo,ram

_pappu_ said:
from what i gather from that insane post :) , your motherboard is busted

i suggest to get just another mobo(maybe ip-35e from abit) and you ALREADY have ddr2 ram(which will run at 800mhz too mostly), so just change the mobo

if you want, get a new case too....but dont get a cpu cooler because the socket for nehalem will be different so we dont know yet whether existing coolers will fit onto that

you can get a new graphics card and swap it into the new machine when nehalem comes out....but you will have to get a good quality psu.... is suggest to invest in something like a corsair hx620 so that you can use it in the future too

dont buy ddr3 right now, wait....the prices will surely drop

SUMMARY:: dont spend 50k now :D

get new gpu,mobo,psu,cabby NOT RAM

corsair hx620

abit ip-35e

cm690 cabby + case fans(NO cpu cooler)

maybe a 4870 (will be like 16-17k i guess)

LATER,

proccy,mobo,ram

:S :huh: :tongue: :rofl: I'm going rather insane with all tht's changing here.. Thanks for all the replies guys.. So most say option 2? RAM is Transcend 667.. And yes.. the motherboard is busted.. :mad: :no:

So i go for

PSU - Corsair HX620 = 6.5k

Cabby - CM690 = 4-4.5k

Cooling - Fans for CM690 + AS5 = 2k

Mobo - Abit IP35E = 5.5k

GFX - ATI HD 4870 = 16k

24" LCD - Dell E248wfp(This is the TN Panel one.. Rite??:S:ashamed: ) = 19k

Total = 53.5k approx

Old stuff can be sold for?? = 14.5k??

Total damage = 39k.. :hap2:

Best place to buy all this in Chennai?? Possible to get the Dell from Delta??

@luckyrao - If i hadn't wrtten it myself.. i would DEFINITELY agree with you :rofl:

^^thats nice and leaves a good amount for later on too... depending on prices, you may even be able to get a crossfire setup in the future who knows

you can get dell shipped to your home... they dont have many retail outlets

Thx guys.. so unless i get ne other opinions this is wut i stick too.. Heading off back to college 2morrow morn so next post on monday.. Keep the suggestions coming :happy:

Back