PC Peripherals DDR3 ram

winomaly

Disciple
hi everyone,
i have recently brought an asus p5k3 deluxe mobo which supports ddr3 ram .
i went to enquire abt the ram prices in nehru place and it is available for 17000 rs approx for 1 gb whereas for the same price u can get a 2gb hyperx kit in the USA.:( :(

now i have decided to ship the ram from usa but i dont have any sort of experience in shipping computer components from abroad.hence my questions:

1)how much will i end up paying for a 400$ ram when it reaches my home
2)how much is the import duty on RAM....guy at nehru place told me its 30% though i doubt it
3)which online retailer ships rams t india(newegg and tigerdirect dont)
4)what all duties are levied on a shipped computer ram until it reaches the end consumer in india.

any help would be hugely appreciated

my suggestion would be return or exchange the mobo for a p5k deluxe(ddr2). u will incur a loss ok maybe 1-2k but its a much better option than goin ddr3 at the moment. imho ddr3 wont make much sense until H2 2008

yea get it from memoryc. i got my ram there and was charged no duty.. shipping by dhl so it reached me within the week

bottle said:
yea get it from memoryc. i got my ram there and was charged no duty.. shipping by dhl so it reached me within the week
thANX A LOT FOR THE HELP GUYZ :)
are u sure that no duty was Charged?? becoz i read it in another forum that u are charged about 21% duty although there is no customs on ram..u are levied Cess and handling etc which amounts to abt 21%..

if i can really get it without any duty i will certailnly order it online through C.card.plz reply soon.

:)
bottle said:

also,it will be great if u could tell me the breakup and how much you exatly paid in the end w.r.t the originla price.

thanx in advance:)

With indian customs its luck and duty charging varies with the city. In mumbai, i have not escaped duty even once when importing from memory configurator.

Even when they marked it 50euro item i was charged 700-800 bucks which is not bad. But there were times when i was charged heavy duty.

And yes, even on the items which have 0 customs duty, overall duty which includes CVD, SCD, Education cess coes roughly to 20-22%. In metros and some other cities there is additional octroi but i have not been charged that by DHL till date.

The duty structure is 16%+4%+3% at the moment on every single import even if there is no basic customs duty on that item.

DDR2 wont be phased out so soon to be honest. The new generation of Intel chipset still support it. Even intel is not phasing it out completely this time around as they did when they jumped to DDR2 where they totally cut off DDR support in their chipsets.

It will take another 7-8 months to year for DDR3 to go mainstream.

It took 2.5 years for DDR2 to become really affordable.

If you can, return the board and swap it for DDR2 board. For now, going DDR3 in India is simply PITA.

all comments above are really good and guide for anyone who want to buy pc hardware from other country.

I suggest hang around for 6month with DDR2 .. then DDR3 will become more affordable. You can go for DDR2 1333 ( i think am correct abt the speed) with XMS2 .. you still have overclocking left.

Funky said:
With indian customs its luck and duty charging varies with the city. In mumbai, i have not escaped duty even once when importing from memory configurator.
Even when they marked it 50euro item i was charged 700-800 bucks which is not bad. But there were times when i was charged heavy duty.
And yes, even on the items which have 0 customs duty, overall duty which includes CVD, SCD, Education cess coes roughly to 20-22%. In metros and some other cities there is additional octroi but i have not been charged that by DHL till date.

The duty structure is 16%+4%+3% at the moment on every single import even if there is no basic customs duty on that item.

DDR2 wont be phased out so soon to be honest. The new generation of Intel chipset still support it. Even intel is not phasing it out completely this time around as they did when they jumped to DDR2 where they totally cut off DDR support in their chipsets.

If you can, return the board and swap it for DDR2 board. For now, going DDR3 in India is simply PITA.

does it mean that for 380€ ram(with shipping) i will have to pay 21% extra???

did u end up paying it when u impoted your ddr2??

Funky said:

and also,

to be honest my dealer is not willing to take back the board ,i think he had only 1 piece and now he doesnt want to take it bak.
i took the board from SMC international,a well known shop in delhi at nehru place...

that guy isnt even willing to sell me a costlier board like striker extreme in lieu of this board so im in the worst situation right now...buying this board really turned out to be a big mistake in the end i guess.

Hmm... Is it rashi board?

If yes then maybe I can help you returning it directly to Rashi and swap it with different board as I have friend who works with Rashi.

Pm me your msn or gtalk id we can talk.

In comments at checkout on memory configurator, you can request them to mark the parcel at €50. They will do that. So you will have to pay duty on €50+shipping cost ideally. But there is no guarantee that DHL will choose to accept that mentioned cost. Thats where the problem arise.

Just PM me your men or gtalk id and I will see what I can do for you.

Funky said:
Hmm... Is it rashi board?
If yes then maybe I can help you returning it directly to Rashi and swap it with different board as I have friend who works with Rashi.
Pm me your msn or gtalk id we can talk.

In comments at checkout on memory configurator, you can request them to mark the parcel at €50. They will do that. So you will have to pay duty on €50+shipping cost ideally. But there is no guarantee that DHL will choose to accept that mentioned cost. Thats where the problem arise.

Just PM me your men or gtalk id and I will see what I can do for you.

hey buddy thanx for this. i have sent u my gtalk id ..plz add me asap.

Back