Storage Solutions dead hdd?

nukeu666

Skilled
my 160gb seagate hdd makes a chiking sound when connected to a comp and doesnt get detected so i guess its about dead
any way to salvage data off it now?
it looks like something on the electronic board is fried, so will rma be a problem?

last time mine made a chiking sound...i was able to make it secondary and remove some data off it ...but it died in 24 hours.... slowly...RIP

I know this may sound a little weird but it worked for me and its definitely worth a shot if you want to recover the data badly.. what you can do is put the hard disk in an air tight zip lock bag(make sure you suck out all the air before locking it).. and put it in the freezer overnight and run it the next day.. the hard disk should work properly for atleast an hour or two so you can back up the data quickly..

This technique worked for my 250gig seagate... and after recovering the data i gave it for replacement.. and got a brand new hd all under warranty.. try it out and lemme know how it goes...
Goodluck :hap2:

I had a crapped ram.

Probably the tracks on the PCB were cut. When I froze it in the freezer, it contracted (some physics :p) .....And thus the cuts were bridged again...Thus I worked for a hr! :p

the freezer thing works for me as well.

Another thing is is to disable DMA on the drive. Ie. In the Bios set it to PIO mode than as well you may have more luck even wen the disk gets warmer.

nukeu666 said:
my 160gb seagate hdd makes a chiking sound when connected to a comp and doesnt get detected so i guess its about dead
any way to salvage data off it now?
it looks like something on the electronic board is fried, so will rma be a problem?

It might be possible to recover if only electronics has gone bad by replacing with match PCB from similar drive.

i have another hdd of the same model but the pcb's are different, does it matter?

and do i dare to exchange the pcd, i have 1 brick and may end up with 2

i just lost 140gb of manga and 'rare' anime, that can be downloaded again...i hope

off to rma my hdd goes

I have a similar problem but my hdd seems to get detected at bios as some code 'ST followed by some numbers' but below it it says the slave drive fails and the pc seems to get stuck at the windows loading screen. So will the above mentioned procedures work or should I be doing something different. :(

well if you are sending the disk for rma you can ask seagate data recovery centre to keep your data, and when they return your HDD it will have all the data that you asked them to keep.

for more info you can check seagate's website.

Aquamatrix said:
well if you are sending the disk for rma you can ask seagate data recovery centre to keep your data, and when they return your HDD it will have all the data that you asked them to keep.

for more info you can check seagate's website.

will they charge extra for it ??

Back