Laptops Dell horrible service - Should I file a consumer case against Dell?

renegade

Staff member
Super Mod
Quite frankly Dell has the most horrible service I ever experienced. The customer care is only concerned about closing tickets so they stop responding after a few conversations. They don't provide solutions but instead make you go around in loops so that you get frustrated and leave them alone.

Please let me know the process to file a consumer case against Dell. For those who are interested in knowing the details, please read on.

----

Horrible service exhibit: I

I own a Dell Latitude E6400. This has 3 years onsite complete cover. My misery started when my laptop stopped working and they sent a technician to replace the motherboard.

The technician was a complete novice and was taking instructions on phone on how to open the laptop. Clearly he had never operated on a Latitude before or probably a laptop.

He left my laptop in working condition but with the following love bites (screenshots attached):

1. The plastic slot cover from the SD card slot is missing

2. The modem port is protruding out of the laptop body and the body is bent at that edge

3. The LCD hinge is making a clicking noise as it is rubbing against the body while opening the lid

4. The body plastic is twisted from places and I can see inside the body of the laptop from the gap

5. There are scratches made by the screw driver on the laptop body

I raised a ticket on 11 July 2009 and the long conversation that followed is also attached along with. They just stopped responding after a while. :S

----

25th July 2010: Another ticket raised. What good is a three year complete cover if they can't even resolve an old ticket.

I had logged a complaint long back with the case number Case #: 20090710150245653 (KMM8083062I23241L0KM)

I have still not received any support on this issue. I even furnished the photographs of the damage but still no further communication from your end. The indifference from your side is appalling.
3rd August 2010: Response from Dell

Rahul, as per the conversation we had over the phone, we request you to please do send us the pictures of damages plastics. For any clarification please revert back.

It was pleasure helping you today. Thank you for your patience and support.
5th August 2010: Response from Dell

Rahul, as per the conversation we had over the phone, we are adding the address for Dell Service Center in Mumbai and we also request you to please send us the content of previous email.
6th August 2010: My reply

Please find attached the direct screenshots of my mail conversation with DELL, which validates that I raised this ticket on 11th July 2009. I also furnished the same pictures on 16th August 2009. It is not as if I have suddenly woken up after a year.
6th August 2010: Response from Dell

Rahul, Thanks for your email and we did check the attachment you sent. However we request you to carry the system to Dell Service Center and get it repaired.
11th August 2010: My reply

Can you please share a phone number which works so that I can confirm their working hours before going there.
No response

30th August 2010: My reply

I went to the service center and they turned me down saying they don't handle latitude. They asked to raise a ticket online and service engg will come to premise.

So now if the harassment by dell India is over then will I get the service.

Please send someone to replace the keyboard and laptop body. The body was damaged by your rep.

It has a complete accidental cover and it now has a broken edge as it fell off the table last week.
No response

That moron service rep sent me to a service center which does not even service the Latitudes. What the hell are they feeding their employees?

Present Day: All the issues are still there and now I also have a broken edge.

------------

Horrible service exhibit: II

25 July: Ticket raised

The number keys on the keyboard except '5' and '6' are not working.

28 July: Response from Dell

Rahul, as per the conversation we had over the phone, we request you to please let us know once you are back to mumbai. For any clarification please revert back.

31 July: My reply

Hello I am now in Mumbai till 2nd August. If you are going to send someone today then the address is:

No response since then.

Present Day: I am still using the On-Screen Keyboard and there are other keys like END and function keys which do not work.

-------------

So the end result is I have onsite warranty remaining for more than a year and I get no service at all. Way to go Dell.

Re: Dell horrible service - Can I file a consumer case against Dell?

Considering that Dell charges a premium for the comprehensive warranty, and going by the fact that they haven't delivered satisfactorily, you are entitled to go to the consumer court.

and then what? consumer court will order dell to fix your laptop, and the merry go round will start again..

Dell will also be asked to pay damages for having OP go through all the trouble. Dell charges almost 25% of the price of the laptop for a 3 year cover - allowing them to go scott free is ridiculous.

Drop a mail with pictures to michael _AT_ dell.com

You can ask Abu for some contacts of higher ups too. Escalate this issue, dont let it go lightly.

I recall Faheem posting the miseries he had experienced with a new Acer laptop and the related service issue. He had put it up on a website, whose name I cannot recall ATM. But it appears Acer did happen to revert back almost instantly and replaced the laptop.

So it may be worthwhile posting this on the several consumer grievances forums.

i am really sad reading this :(, i didn't think that a premium company like Dell will be such a morom. Anyway all the best bro.

Try and go up the hierarchy when you call Dell this time. Don't talk to the rep, ask for supervisor. If the supervisor is able to handle the issue, GOOD, else ask for someone higher. Make some noise and tell them the frustration. The solution depends entirely on the person you are talking to. So, dont hang up the phone unless you get to someone who can take care of this. And yes, Do tell them that you are going to the consumer court as well. This is not acceptable.

^^ I have faced similar issues wrt C.S while dealing with dell monitor. Best option is get the managers email ID for the concerned department and get things done.

Consumer Case is very difficult practically to file, attend hearing and so on. Even then it takes time for the case to get solved.

First escalate the issue. if not then consumer court.

The chalta hai attitude is happening whenever Indians works for Indians in India. if this was the customer care for some firangis they will be going to end of the world to solve the issue. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

sg3707 said:
^^ I have faced similar issues wrt C.S while dealing with dell monitor. Best option is get the managers email ID for the concerned department and get things done.

Amen! I did just that when I had trouble with my monitor. The problem was taken care of and I received a suitable replacement. Don't waste your time going back and forth between the CS reps.

You have a serious problem and it requires immediate attention. ACT NOW!

I think consumer court case needs to be filed Bangalore jurisdiction. Similar horrible experience with one of my colleagues.

His laptop wouldn't start. After 4 visits and constant parts swapping for a period of 45 days. Dell asked for another 45 days replacement period. It just doesn't make sense so he's decided to file a consumer case. Let's hope it's easily resolved.

Thats pathetic service from Dell, actually dell technicians are nothing but 10+2 pass or diploma holders whom they train and then brand as Dell technicians, it seems that the fellow who spoiled your laptop didnt complete his training and your laptop may be his first experiment. Before going to consumer court its advisable to try and contact higher ups in dell as a consumer court case will require some time from your busy schedule.

Kuantum said:
I think consumer court case needs to be filed Bangalore jurisdiction. Similar horrible experience with one of my colleagues.

His laptop wouldn't start. After 4 visits and constant parts swapping for a period of 45 days. Dell asked for another 45 days replacement period. It just doesn't make sense so he's decided to file a consumer case. Let's hope it's easily resolved.

He can file it at Mumbai also as the Buyer is under Mumbai jurisdiction

The chalta hai attitude is happening whenever Indians works for Indians in India. if this was the customer care for some firangis they will be going to end of the world to solve the issue.

Bang on, but I dont blame Dell, but rather its the fear of American judicial system which makes Dell crap in its pants for any such issue. As others suggested try speaking with a supervisor, and try not to loose your patience. Customer reps have the authority to disconnect if a caller gets abusive, tell them very coolly that you are recording the call, and anything the supervisor says will be used as a evidence in the consumer court. That should rattle them a little to start working..

shravank30 said:
He can file it at Mumbai also as the Buyer is under Mumbai jurisdiction
but i think its subject to seller from where he belongs and mention in all terms and conditions so will be bangalore

Aces170 said:
Bang on, but I dont blame Dell, but rather its the fear of American judicial system which makes Dell crap in its pants for any such issue. As others suggested try speaking with a supervisor, and try not to loose your patience. Customer reps have the authority to disconnect if a caller gets abusive, tell them very coolly that you are recording the call, and anything the supervisor says will be used as a evidence in the consumer court. That should rattle them a little to start working..
You put it rightly but I think in India, consumer complaints are always treated fairly.

never seen a consumer loosing a valid case, very unlike usual daily cases we hear on TVs lol

Again seeing that pic is just unbearable.

cant believe an authorized personnel handled the machine like that.

Call Dell this time and ask for a manager. Before explaining anything to him, ask for his id/badge/tag no. Confirm the same with him. Ask for a commitment date and time and tell him to send u a conversation confirmation mail on the spot. Make sure you dont disconnect and ask him to mention the finer points as well as his badge no in the mail. 2 mins later he will tell you that he cant send a mail but he will pass the case right away to a zonal manager and that you should have a chat with him. Do the same with him, take his id no too. Do understand, that a name aint enough, to file a official complaint you need emp nos, once you have the emp no. the employee will take it upon him to solve your issue asap.
Consumer court aint gonna do any good to you. Your last resort will be writing a grievance mail to Dell USA.
ps: A zonal/regional head did get me a replacement in 2 days flat, make sure you have his emp no.

Back