Laptops Dell Inspiron 1520 - Final Config

cybertragic

Disciple
Hi guys. Have finalised this notebook for my Dad. Its a Dell Inspiron 1520 which after adding 3 years limited warranty and a bluetooth mouse came to Rs. 45,000/-. The actual price was coming to Rs. 49,500/- and got 4500 off after bargaining.

Please go through the below config and let me know if I should make any further changes.

Configuration:
Dell Inspiron(TM) 1520 Notebook
Intel(R) Core(TM)2Duo Processor T5250 1.5 GHz, 2MB Cache, 667 MHz FSB
2GB (2 X 1024MB) 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
Integrated Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
Dell(TM) Bluetooth Travel Mouse
160GB SATA Hard Drive
Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Combination Drive with dual layer write capabilities
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945 Dual Band 802.11a/g 54 Mbps Wireless Mini Card
Genuine Windows(R) XP Home Edition (English)

Dell(TM) Wireless 355 Bluetooth Module
8-in-1 media card reader
Travel Remote Control
Noise Isolation Ear Buds
15.4" Widescreen WXGA (1280x800) Display with TrueLife (TM)
Jet Black Color with Matte Finish and camera

3-Year Limited Warranty (Next Business Day Service - parts & labour)
International Support For Notebooks

Total price - Rs. 44,980/-

Is that warranty with accident care? If so then its good cuz if ANYTHING goes wrong, they just give you a new lappy :) Also, why that Processor? Rest of the config is great. (those earbuds are Creative EP630 btw ;))

No, the warranty is not with accident care. The complete cover warranty would have cost 3 or 4000 extra. So didnt go for it. Processor is alright for the kind of usage that'll be there. If you noticed the laptop's for my Dad.

Wow. I had no idea there'll be EP-630 free with this. That's an added bonanza. :) This deal keeps getting better.

Hey Thats A Cool Config.
Even I Was Planning On Buying An Inspiron 1520.
Could You Tell Me The Name Of The Dell Rep You Spoke To.
He Gave Some Brilliant Discount and offers [especially the mouse].

hey buddy if im not mistaken then the only thing uv upgraded from the base config is the warranty and bluetooth mouse..

now heres my advice dell or any other company charges exorbitantly for accessories.. so what i would advice u to do is buy the notebook without the mouse and then buy the mouse separately from np or lamington whereever..

also if u really want a little better portability (which is something u need if ur not using the laptop as a desktop replacement) go with inspiron 1420, its like 4 k cheaper (only issue is it comes with 1 gig ram, whch can easily be fixed by buying 1 gig ram more from outside) .. so if u go for inspiron 1420 i guess u could get it for like 39k+ 1.5k(ram)+ cost of mouse..

hey dude, also try customizing Dell XPS 1530 on the indian site with same config. If the price difference is not too much then go for Dell XPS 1530.

I had customized and compared both and both were coming around the same price.

well man i think its perfect config for ur dad and i am using 2 notebook so same kind so i am sure u will not regret go for it dell is nice

Remove the mouse, as amity rightly said, they over charge,, buy from local market..

call up ur dell guy again, tell him u wont order until u get a 3yr complete cover free..
no need to pay for warranty,, tell him if he isnt sure of his product u'd rather not take it...

rest is fine,,enjoy

^^^ off topic: hey party monger, buddy u think its possible to get the complete cover for free?? did u mean price included in the price hes currently paying for 3 year normal warranty or can it be haggled and included into the price of the laptop with 1 year warranty??

ive ordered my inspiron 1420 last week.. i got 3 years warranty + complete cover at 3000/- extra over the configuration (company) price...

amityrock said:
hey buddy if im not mistaken then the only thing uv upgraded from the base config is the warranty and bluetooth mouse..
now heres my advice dell or any other company charges exorbitantly for accessories.. so what i would advice u to do is buy the notebook without the mouse and then buy the mouse separately from np or lamington whereever..

also if u really want a little better portability (which is something u need if ur not using the laptop as a desktop replacement) go with inspiron 1420, its like 4 k cheaper (only issue is it comes with 1 gig ram, whch can easily be fixed by buying 1 gig ram more from outside) .. so if u go for inspiron 1420 i guess u could get it for like 39k+ 1.5k(ram)+ cost of mouse..

Well, I know they overcharge for the components. And I wasnt really going for the mouse initially. But when I added the mouse and warranty, he gave me much higher discount than before. The mouse cost Rs. 1170/-. But he told me he could give only 600 Rs. less if I remove the mouse. That is because a lot of the margin is on the upgrades. So since I was getting the bluetooth mouse for effectively Rs. 600/- I went for it.

Also I tried getting the complete cover included but the 3 other Dell Reps I called were giving me even lesser discount. So this is the best I could haggle.

As for the 1420 I was planning to go for it initially, but it only has option for Windows Vista and not Windows XP (confirmed this with the Reps). My dad has just started getting comfortable with XP. Dont want to confuse him. And I dont want to install XP myself and find all the drivers and stuff and not have recovery CDs for later. So had to go for 1520.

@amity-- Yeah i think so, they really do give away complete cover...jus let them screw one one single thing and they offer u compensation in form of complete cover...i think even when u buy a base config, u can haggle and get complete cover..
In has case i thought alteast he can ask the rep for upgrading to complete cover...

WA-AT??? u took 1520 for xp???

hell u cud hav told them in straight terms that its 1420 with xp or no go..its their style buddy,, they r trained to do that..

for example, when i asked for 1gb single chip of ram he said its not possible,, when next day i told him in clear terms that im not ready to compromise on things and its wat i say or nothing, he conceded,,,

But u hav to be reasonable,, do some research and find out wat wud be the price u wud want to pay for ur notebook, once u reach there dont ask anymore...

yeah probably the reason y they got you to buy the 1520 is that they have better margins on the inspiron 1520.. and hence they tell u cant get 1420 with xp.. (althoug i advice vista as sooner or later every1 is going to upgrade, so might aswell make that change soon)

And if u notice worldwide the 1520 is cheaper than 1420, but not so in India and probably the reason y u were convinced to go for 1520 by the reps..

@ party: i called up dell today, inquired bout a notebook for a friend.. freaks qouted 46k for 1420 base config+3 years complete cover.. and after haggling he said less 3%.

I was like forget it il buy it from USA @ 800$.. so now am waiting for his response.. lets c if he can offer something better.. else screw the dell reps here.. il order from us only.. il get it a month later but i dont mind that for saving money..!!

Party Monger said:
WA-AT??? u took 1520 for xp???

hell u cud hav told them in straight terms that its 1420 with xp or no go..its their style buddy,, they r trained to do that..

for example, when i asked for 1gb single chip of ram he said its not possible,, when next day i told him in clear terms that im not ready to compromise on things and its wat i say or nothing, he conceded,,,

But u hav to be reasonable,, do some research and find out wat wud be the price u wud want to pay for ur notebook, once u reach there dont ask anymore...

I did tell one of the reps that its either 1420 with xp or nothing. He said that he's sorry. He can't do anything. I gave him my no. etc and he didnt call back to say that I cud get a 1420 with XP. I guess thats abt all I can do.

As for Vista, I dunno. It might be difficult for him to understand and Tally etc. I've heard dont work on it. As it is Windows XP is good enough for the next 2 years I guess and is a more refined OS than Windows Vista.

amityrock said:
@ party: i called up dell today, inquired bout a notebook for a friend.. freaks qouted 46k for 1420 base config+3 years complete cover.. and after haggling he said less 3%.

I was like forget it il buy it from USA @ 800$.. so now am waiting for his response.. lets c if he can offer something better.. else screw the dell reps here.. il order from us only.. il get it a month later but i dont mind that for saving money..!!

U forgot the golden rule,,,More than 1 rep,,,:bleh:
go on man,, the bsnl number is toll free..lol
tell them that u hav already bought from dell..not to fool u,,,and next time u call act confident and before he begins tel him dat ur a dell customer already, and know all the fine points..

^^ yeah i know.. but i was feelinng really lazy.. so dint bother.. further im going to meet a guy who works for dell tomo at dinner.. so am hoping if all goes well he would help me get ta notebook on epp (employee purchase program).. got my fingers crossed.

Back