Laptops [Dell laptop query] Where and which serial number for warranty?

Guys..

A friend recently purchased an Inspiron laptop from Amazon.in (right i know about the Dell declaration of them not being authorized sellers, he did not)
He got a good discount and went ahead.

The laptop came with Win 8.1 pre installed.
No Installation Disc
No Invoice
The invoice on amazon order page doesnt mentions any serial number.

Spoke with the clueless CC for about 30 mins. Has been asked to send in a mail to amazon mentioning the serial number for the laptop to obtain a soft copy of the invoice.
So
1) Where to look for the relevant serial number?
2) What's the deal with Service tag vs Serial number?
3) Anything else which needs to be checked in order to ensure that everything under the 1 yr manufacturer's warranty is covered..? Battery/charger ?

Needless to mention formally, i never dealt with this issue.. and i am keen to get the answers to these for future situations as well. Getting very vague and confusing pointers when i googled for all this.

Look at the bottom side of the laptop you should find a service tag. Use that service tag to know the warranty details / support information / original configuration of all components in the laptop from Dell's website.

@Spacescreamer Please update this thread with the response of Amazon CC/Dell CC. I am very interested in the end result of this issue.

Yes. Part of the reason for me opening this thread was to suply what response Amazon.in comes up with.
The CC was as clueless as a n00b. Put me on hold for 4-5 times, and gave vague replies. When i went berserk with their logic, there was a lot of clueless affirmations.

Look at the bottom side of the laptop you should find a service tag. Use that service tag to know the warranty details / support information / original configuration of all components in the laptop from Dell's website.

Yea i have that service code/tag supplied.
The code on the adapter and the plastic wrapping it came in, dont match either. Seems like a clear case of gaffar market type imported piece being sold with seller's warranty, a la the LCD TVs.

The Amazon.in website mentions 1 yr manufacturer's warranty for the laptop.

Get a written assurance from Amazon that they will take back the lappy if issues crop up before the assured warranty period ends and if Dell refuses warranty (which they most certainly will do after their recent advisory). If Amazon refuses, return the product.

I got myself a similar email assurance but product in question was a Lenovo laptop.

Back