Monitors Dell Ultrasharp 27"

Hi Guys,

Looking at a monitor to view my laparoscopic surgery on. The older monitors that people would swear by were the u2410, and later the u2413.

Now I'm looking at a 27". Which would be along the lines of the above? The u2713 or the u2713HM?

From what I have read the HM is better for movies. So, does that mean it will be better for surgical video as well?

Also, the output from my camera is 1920*1080. Will this monitor be able to show it? It has a much higher resolution. What will be the impact of that on the picture quality? The 2413 have 1920*1200 resolution but the 2713 has 2560 x 1440.

My camera output is DVI-I with those 4 extra pins but the monitor input is DVI-D. Will that make any difference? Can I just use a DVI-D cable? That will fit both sides, and from what I read the DVI-I is 'integrated' for both digital and analogue. I presume that the signal carried will be digital so DDVI-D should do the job?

Might even settle for a 2413 but where can I buy this in Bangalore? The 2713 that I see is the HM version only, so maybe safer to stick with what others are using which is the 2413.

I have no chance to demo a piece, and will just have to buy it and try it.

Deepak

I think both monitors serve your purpose very well. so buy the one which is cheaper and available in the market.
the output from my camera is 1920*1080. Will this monitor be able to show it? It has a much higher resolution. What will be the impact of that on the picture quality? The 2413 have 1920*1200 resolution but the 2713 has 2560 x 1440.
are you trying to watch live video feed from the camera? does your camera have hdmi output? 1920*1080 is what they call FullHD resolution. HDMI and DVI are more than capable of handling that resolution. so it should not be a problem.

on the other hand, if you are looking only at a fullHD resolution, why dont you consider buying a fullHD television 40inch-ish. I think Sony TVs provide raw input mode if you set them in game mode so that they dont bump up the hue,saturation etc.. if the use case is just to connect your camera and watch the live feed? because, TVs are much more bright and you can watch the video from a distance.

...unless you want accurate color reproduction on the monitor.

I have a full HD TV, but it is nowhere as bright as the medical grade monitor, nor as bright as the Dell monitor that I borrowed today.

I just borrowed a u2410 and placed it next to the 4 lakh medical monitor. Really can't make out any difference. Tomorrow I'll test it during surgery. If it works out I'll get the 2413 or 2713 and save over 3.5 lakhs.

Camera has DVI output so it can connect to DVI as well as HDMI.

looks like you are looking for accurate color reproduction and picture quality... Then you should buy the U2713H with eyes closed. The monitor is PremierColor which means that the color reproduction would be 100%accurate for sRGB and 99%accurate for Adobe RGB. both HM and H are same spec apart from that. HM is not premiercolor.

if you are not keen on precise color reproduction then you can buy which ever is cheaper. premier color is useful for people who do graphics work and photoshop. I cant tell how important it is for surgeries. but basically if you use a TV, the algorithms in TVs change the hue and saturation (and other variables) for the images internally to show more dynamic range (dark will be darker and bright will be brighter) but this affects the color precision.

if you are feeling a little more richer.. you can buy UP3214Q because nothing can beat this one ;)

btw: U2413 is also premier color. probably thats why you got a feeling that the screen was good.

^^Thanks for the info.

Just finished 2 surgeries. The u2410 is so darn close to the medical grade monitor, that it would be difficult to pick which is which. Decided to get the 2413. Any suggestion where I can pick up in Bangalore? Only source I see now is e-bay.

...you can call Dell directly, even might get a co-operative disount. Call em and order directly they deliver straight to you.

....aint they the same aspect ratio??? So why not???

The output will look pixelated. Try reducing the resolution in PC (keeping the same aspect ratio). The text won't be readable.
The videos & games will look OK if you watch it from a distance.[DOUBLEPOST=1417030390][/DOUBLEPOST]
I use my ps4 with my dell monitor over hdmi. it scales up perfectly. ps4 is 1920X1080.

Which monitor? What is the resolution of the monitor?

The output will look pixelated. Try reducing the resolution in PC (keeping the same aspect ratio). The text won't be readable.
The videos & games will look OK if you watch it from a distance.[DOUBLEPOST=1417030390][/DOUBLEPOST]

Which monitor? What is the resolution of the monitor?

My 2560x1600 scales 1920x1200 perfectly....Dell U3011, does not pixilate anything.

^most of the Dell ultrasharps are premium panels which means they are guaranteed to have zero dead pixels at purchase. After that you wont find any issues hopefully. :)

Dell Ultrasharp 2713HM at 2560 x 1440px

My 2560x1600 scales 1920x1200 perfectly....Dell U3011, does not pixilate anything.

Cool. Does the text looks fine if the PC resolution is lower?

Normal monitors won't do it. These monitors will have some kind of built-in pre-processor to scale it properly. Usually only high end Televisions have this feature.
Normal monitors will simply stretch the image which will look pixelated.[DOUBLEPOST=1417088292][/DOUBLEPOST]
^most of the Dell ultrasharps are premium panels which means they are guaranteed to have zero dead pixels at purchase. After that you wont find any issues hopefully. :)

Also check this thread - https://www.techenclave.com/communi...ng-to-honor-advanced-exchange-service.169880/

Thanks for all the help guys. Got the 2713H and it is fantastic. Some info that I gathered on the way:

Dell naming strategy

First 2 digits is size of monitor
Second 2 digits is year of introduction
H stands for wide screen
M stands for the lower end monitors

The M monitors have no aRGB colour gamut, while the non M like the 2410 has the aRGB. Effective colours of the M series are 16 million versus 1 billion for the non M series.

The aRGB is of value for people whose entire work flow is in aRGB.

The 24 series are not widescreen I think and that is why there is no H only 2413/2410 [wide colour gamut] and the 2412M [lower end version] etc. The 27 is widescreen so you get 2713H and 2713HM. The HM is the lower end version.

H is 16:9 aspect ratio. Non-H is 16:10. There is a U2412HM and U2414H (not sure why this isn't HM since it's a 6 bit + FRC panel too).

L is on the S series line. There's an S2240L and an S2240M. The difference seems to be in the interfaces - L has HDMI, M has DVI.

Back