Laptops Dell Warranty Package Prices are very high !!

My complete cover warranty on Dell Studio is about to finish in a day or two and upon calling dell people I was shocked to hear that dell is selling 1 year complete cover warranty for 8,500 Rs and 2 year complete cover for 16,500 Rs. :ashamed:
Do we have any other choices or we need to indulge ourself into the service scam going on where in a reputable company like DELL charges outrage premium for warranty extension ?? :mad::mad:

Do understand that it might be costly.. but THAT costly ?? I suppose they might be getting an insurance cover of over laptop and will be claiming the losses under insurance from parent company.

But still 8,500 Rs for a year cover of a 50K piece of electronics, it is simply outrage. It is indeed a scam where-in customer are looted for getting piece of mind.

Though yeah, if you do not get to use their services then its such a big loss but otherwise, if you somehow drop/break the laptop, DELL changes the laptop/components if you have complete cover...

The prices are right , if u break a LCD u pay 15k hows that ? , if u break plastics u pay 10k hows that ?? ...... and for 8.5k a year u call a scam ...... its not a scam, its just that you dunno how much pain getting an LCD replaced it and its cost cos i went through it

These costs are absurd..
Say i get a laptop for 30k, and for 2yrs complete peace of mind after such an investment, i hav to shell more than half the cost of the laptop?
Is this the amount of confidence dell has in their products?

But according to my limited knowledge Dell's warranty does cover accidental damages cos one my friend broke his laptop's LCD within the warranty period but Dell only waived off the repair charges he had to pay for the replacement LCD.

Nope dell also covers the spare charges, well the prices are based on model, if ur getting a 30k model it will be priced accordingly,pricing is based on model and it aint a fixed charge, my precision complete cover costs me 30k for additional 2 yrs through which i've had LCD and LCD bezel replacements twice

and yes @iprincepankaj, which model was it ? Latitude ? studio ? XPS ? pls do quote the model

Party Monger said:
These costs are absurd..

Say i get a laptop for 30k, and for 2yrs complete peace of mind after such an investment, i hav to shell more than half the cost of the laptop?

Is this the amount of confidence dell has in their products?

I think the rates have less to do with Dell's confidence in their products and more to do with confidence in the customers. Remember, a poorly maintained lappy is more liable to damage than a desktop.

I'd think a person would go for extended warranty only on more expensive products or if the warranty costs are more in sync with the initial cost. That depends on how much value the person places on his laptop.

Which model does the OP have? We can't say that warranty is too high without knowing the value of the insured lappy.

I don't think 8.5k is a LOT cost for a COMPLETE cover. If you understand that it means you can get it changed if even if happen to drop/break your laptop by YOURSELF. Or in 'other' way even if you felt that your are not happy with the scratches on your palm rest, you-know-what-to-do-then!

I am not saying do that, but of course there people who do it and that's what for my friend is the cost. But even if you don consider this case, say after an year your mobo went kaput, it would cost you twice as much that to get it replaced then!

As far as the confidence is concerned, just like Naga said above, it has to do more with the confidence on people rather than confidence on product. If you just WANT to damage something no quality product can escape from you then ;)

^ Well summed up!

I've seen cases where Dell customers facing a dead motherboard charge are advised to renew their warranty (even if it has expired) to reduce the damage to their wallet. If they really did want to scam, they wouldn't suggest that option ;)

Does anyone have competing quotes from other manufacturers? AFAIK most do not even offer a 'complete cover' option.

iprincepankaj said:
But according to my limited knowledge Dell's warranty does cover accidental damages cos one my friend broke his laptop's LCD within the warranty period but Dell only waived off the repair charges he had to pay for the replacement LCD.

Warranty = only replacement of defective parts

Complete cover warranty = above + accidental damage covered

P.s: Thread title changed appropriately.

read the t @ c for complete cover, it is worth it almost always.

plus:

as you are buying towards the end of your term expiry, the charges are higher.

if you would have bought the extension while buying the laptop, it would have come at a ridiculously low price point.

if you would have bought it within the first 2 months of the laptop, you could still have haggled a discount.

cry a bit on the phone claiming, student, scholarship, fees etc etc and maybe you might still wrangle out a discount on this.

ryanrulez4ever said:
The prices are right , if u break a LCD u pay 15k hows that ? , if u break plastics u pay 10k hows that ?? ...... and for 8.5k a year u call a scam ...... its not a scam, its just that you dunno how much pain getting an LCD replaced it and its cost cos i went through it
Why is Dell doing such covers just because it is getting fairly compensated for the same either by the parent insurance company or pooled money of loyal customer like us only. No company in the business can give compensate accidental warranty from their own funds. So why not pass the benefit to customers where-in they'll get much more publicity of mouth rather then spending lakhs on media publicity.

Circumstances aren't same for everyone my friend, mine might be better or worst than yours. But one cannot bet heaven thinking for worst scenario.

amol_cool said:
I don't think 8.5k is a LOT cost for a COMPLETE cover. If you understand that it means you can get it changed if even if happen to drop/break your laptop by YOURSELF. Or in 'other' way even if you felt that your are not happy with the scratches on your palm rest, you-know-what-to-do-then!
)
Kindly refer to my above post i.e. Cost is not beard from their pocket so why aren't they passing benefit to consumers.

Crazy_Eddy said:
^ Well summed up!
I've seen cases where Dell customers facing a dead motherboard charge are advised to renew their warranty (even if it has expired) to reduce the damage to their wallet. If they really did want to scam, they wouldn't suggest that option ;)
Well, as per my experience upgrading warranty ain't suggested at first instance. At first instance, customer is told total repair cost then in-case customer starts slipping out they offer Complete cover warranty extension just for the sake that customer does'nt goes for an after market solution.

I have experienced numerous time where-in a technician is called to a site via CC, he is lured for some money, things are fixed without a hitch by the technician and call is closed as "Customer approval pending".

Ashish.K said:
Kindly refer to my above post i.e. Cost is not beard from their pocket so why aren't they passing benefit to consumers.

1. Try getting insurance on your lappy directly and actually get your claim accepted when the need arises.

2. Dell did not setup shop for doing charity.

I don't see why you were using the word scam so loosely when no such thing is involved.

1. Did Dell entice you to buy their laptop on false pretenses? (Buying without reading ToC does not count)

2. Did Dell ever claimed lower prices for additional warranty?

3. Have they not delivered on their warranty after taking your money?

If that did not happen, then they are not scamming.

An example of a scam is what Airtel tried to do with the Hello Tunes. They charge customers for the service and they put in their own advertisement at the expense of the people. The ad is so long that most people would lift the phone before the other party get to hear the song. Now thats what a scam is.

Well theres no parent or daughter company involved for any complete cover entitlement , where does it say that it extracts money from a parent company, it doesnt, its from dell's own pocket, and yes as every1 said the price is well worth it,

Back