Laptops Dell XPS Series with Core 2 Duo in Dell US site

Count_Down

Disciple
The Dell US site is showing XPSM1210 and others with Core 2 Duo processors. These are the three options for XPSM1210:

ntel® CoreTM 2 Duo Processor T7200 (2GHz, 4M L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB)
Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo Processor T7400 (2.16GHz, 4M L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB)
Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo Processor T7600 (2.33GHz, 4M L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB)

The Indian site still has the older config.

@Superczar and other experts

I am planning to get a XPS1210 with the Core 2 Duo. I was wondering whether I should go with the integrated graphics or take the discrete solution. I will use the laptop mostly for work and occasional gaming. Battery life is important for me and I heard that the discrete graphics put more load on the battery. Any idea much penalty this extra overhead puts? I plan to get the 9 cell battery.

Any further tips about configuring the machine will be most welcome

The Discrete gfx without a question...

If you want ocasional gaming, the GMA950 anyway won't be upto it...

Even if you don't plan to run games, the 7400 would give you a lot better performance as and when you move to Vista (Aero interface)

Add to it the fact that the gfx subsystem cannot be upgraded, so even if you are on a limited budget, you may want to economize elsewhere as the CPU/RAM/HDD ae all self-upgradeable but not the graphics

As for the battery life, nVidia mobile chips underclock drastically when running on battery (e.g the Go 7400 drops from 450 mhz /500+ mhz on Auto OC to as low as 0.3 mhz on a battery and the gfx memory clocks down from 900mhz/1 ghz+ to as low as 100)

The GMA950 based M1210s draw around 13-17 W on medium brighness/low cpu utilization/wireless on and the 7400 based 1210s draw 14-19W at the same settings

On a 9 cell (85whr), this would transalate to only a few minutes of difference in the battery life

I'd aslo suggest a 6 cell and not a 9 cell as even the 6 cell (53whr) would give you over 3 -3.5 hours of battery life under normal usage but weighs less and does not jut out from the behind like the 9 cell

one last suggestion, while configuring, choose the no partition on the HDD option to get a hidden discount ;)

superczar said:
Anish...you can't have a 7900go in a ultraportable....the thing would fry the small chassis in minutes :hap5:

And you can't exactly have a T7400 too in an ultra-portable ;)

^^Anish, Sure you can, the TDP of the Core Duos and Core 2 Duos is 27 and 35 W respectively...

I have a T2400 Core Duo in an ultrportable and it runs at 35-50 C at idle/peak load

The T7400 has only 25% higher TDP than that

superczar said:
^^Anish, Sure you can, the TDP of the Core Duos and Core 2 Duos is 27 and 35 W respectively...
I have a T2400 Core Duo in an ultrportable and it runs at 35-50 C at idle/peak load
The T7400 has only 25% higher TDP than that
Ohh ok your correct then :D

What I meant was a T7400 + 7900GO on a 17" WS Lappy would rock !

^^ XPS 1710?

Personally, I find 17"ers too bulky for a laptop and one might as well buy a desktop at far lower prices

After all a 17"er is just a little more portable than a desktop ;)

What would however rock is a 12/13" with a C2D and a 7900Go

*Dream on dreamer * :ashamed:

Hehe, I guess to each his own..My first laptop was a 15" XGA, when I moved onto a 14.1" WXGA, it was like a different world altogether.....

That was followed by a 13.3" which I found even better (crisper text, and better clarity) and am on a 12.1"er now...

The text on the old 14.1" looks ugly and bloated now in comparison ;)

And I compensate for the smaller screen size while watching a movie etc. by getting the screen closer ;)

funny, can't edit the post above..

Just wanted to add though that what you are saying is true in the sense that 15.4"/14.1" probably hit the sweet spot between size and portabillity for most users

^^ Ok guys, wait over.

The Dell India site is showing the XPS M1210 for 58k with a T5600 :yahoo:

T7200 costs 3.8k more, now here comes, dad convincing time :D

Yep, simply amazing VFM !

A T7200 + 7400GO + 1GB DDR2 + DVD-RW + 12" Ultraportable layout for 68k~ is amazing.

Dell 4tw always :eek:hyeah:

hey guys. i'm very interested in this now.. could any of you who own dell laptops help me get in touch with them? the core 2 duo + 7400 go for 68k is awesome indeed and i'd like to pick one up asap as i'm leaving for canada in 10 days. thanks in advance.

yea but online ordering is a bit of a problem for me as my dad's not too keen on using his credit card on the internet.. is there any other mode of payment?

Back