Budget 31-40k Desktop for running VMs

lubu

Disciple
Hello Gurus,

Need your recommendations for a budget system. My cousin is planning for a career in IT and intends to buy the computer to help him prepare for some industry certifications.

What is your budget?
30 to 40K

What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
Does not have a desktop just a basic laptop currently but has one 2TB HDD and a 1TB HDD from his past system

Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
2TB HDD + 1TB HDD

Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
Need your help with this. Whichever (AMD or Intel) fits within the budget and serves the purpose

Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months
Monitors.

Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Bangalore
and open to online purchase

Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
Yes/No
Yes

What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
He needs the desktop to run multiple virtual machines (6/7 VMs simultaneously I am assuming) and GNS3 to help him prepare for Citrix/Vmware/MS/RHEL/Cisco certifications. He is planning on a 2/3 monitor setup (again need your inputs if this would be an overkill to have a 3 monitor setup for this purpose) to play video training on one monitor and work/learn on the other displays.
The displays will be purchased after a couple of months but will start of with a 20 incher. Apart from this main purpose the system will also be used for playing HD movies and browsing.

Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
No preference but needs to fit the purpose

If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
Very rarely

What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Higher the better

Are you looking to overclock?
Yes/No
No

Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows with virtual machines running linux/windows servers

This looked an interesting query and with some Google search, I found that AMD FX 8350 is best suited for virtualization purposes over Intel Core i7 processors, both on performance and price aspects. FX 8350 is approx. Rs 11k and for AM3+ socket chipset, you can go for ASUS M5A99FX Pro, Biostar TA970 or Gigabyte GA970A priced in 12k-14k bracket.

To run multiple VMs, you need more cores and RAM. I think 2 displays are enough for that kind of requirement.

CPU - AMD FX 8350 11.3k
Mobo - ASUS M5A99X EVO 11k OR Asus M5A88-M 6.6k
RAM - Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2*8GB = 9k
PSU - Seasonic S12II 520 4.5k
DVD writer 1k
Monitor - Dell IN2030M 6.5k
Keyboard Mouse - Logitech MK200 combo 850
Cabinet - Cooler master Elite 310 2.1k

Total 46k OR 41.5k

Note: Above config is recommended according to your budget. If your cousin can shell out more, tell him to buy good cabinet than Elite 310, and add after market CPU cooler and cabinet fans which will keep temperature down inside cabinet while running multiple VMs for long time.

Back