CPU/Mobo Desktop not powering on after a power-cut, please help

tapestry

Disciple
Hi everyone, I'm facing an issue with my almost 10 year old desktop. Configuration is

Gigabyte GT 710 2GB graphics card (added on 2 years ago)
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H motherboard
Corsair CX 430W V2 psu

If there is a small power-cut of less than 5 minutes or so, the PC starts up without any issues afterwards. But if there is a long power-cut, the only way to bring the desktop back to life is:

1. Switch off the SMPS with the switch on the back
2. Wait for a minute or so
3. Switch on the SMPS with the switch on the back

This causes issues since I sometimes work remotely with this PC. Would there be any way to fix it?

Thank you

1. Verify power is currently being supplied to the computer (check outlet)
  2. Unplug the computer from the wall, it is a laptop also remove the battery
  3. hold down the power button on the computer for 10 seconds (with power still removed)
  4. Release the power button, it is a laptop re-insert battery, then plug the computer back into the wall
Try it again... Did that work?

Yes: YAY!

No: (desktop) BE CAREFUL!

• With case side cover removed: redo steps numbered above. Do the fans spin? Do any LEDs light up on the motherboard? if NO fans, probably are failed power supply. If YES fans, but no boot-up, could be the power supply or even motherboard
  • Look for burn marks, exploded capacitors, signs of arcing.
  • Get a known good power supply and see if it will startup
  • Possibly clear CMOS by pulling the backup battery
Even if your computer is toast, most likely you can still recover your data =)

I had the same problem with a spare desktop. I was using it without UPS.
Finally changing the CMOS battery, cleared the problem.

Buy original CMOS battery, there are numerous duplicate/fake battery in market.

Just adding my vote to the CMOS battery change. I had similar issue on my desktop which is lying at home. My dad uses it occasionally. Changing the batter fixed the issue.
I had bought this one: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08KLRJD59?psc=1 because I needed the same battery for some other things as well. But you can get a single duracell or maxell battery for about a 100 Rupees.

Back