AMD CPU FX8150
Gigabyte MB 990XA-UD3
RAM 2X4GB Corsair 1600 DDR3 vengeance
ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTX 560Ti
Cooler Master SMPS 600W
Cooler Master 335U Elite Cabinet
Cooler Master CPU Fan Hyper 212

Hello all

It has been 2 months since I'm encountering this weird problem where when I do some heavy stuff, mainly gaming, my CPU Tower gets overheated like anything and then after 15 minutes of gaming it shuts down. I tried the temperatures through Speed Fan and softwares like this and while gaming, temps reach up to ballistic 95 where doing normal computing they stay under 55.

I have replaced my stock CPU fan with Cooler Master Hyper 212 and have added 3 more 140mm fans.

The placement of fans would be - In the front its an INTAKE, back its an EXHAUST, Left its an EXHAUST again, and Bottom its an INTAKE (Bottom one is a 120mm fan).

When I open the left door of the cabinet and do gaming, it works fine with minimal heating but the moment I close the door again and start gaming, the problem hits me back again. I tried re-seating the CPU Cooler over CPU with Thermal Paste but to no avail and I'm tired of this problem cos I bought this Rig to game and that I cannot do.

Please guys, help me out. Anything to save my poor soul? I'll be more than glad if anyone can help me out on this one.

Thanks in advance.

Configuration

AMD CPU FX8150
Gigabyte MB 990XA-UD3
RAM 2X4GB Corsair 1600 DDR3 vengeance
ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTX 560Ti
Cooler Master SMPS 600W
Cooler Master 335U Elite Cabinet
Cooler Master CPU Fan Hyper 212

Hello all

It has been 2 months since I'm encountering this weird problem where when I do some heavy stuff, mainly gaming, my CPU Tower gets overheated like anything and then after 15 minutes of gaming it shuts down. I tried the temperatures through Speed Fan and softwares like this and while gaming, temps reach up to ballistic 95 where doing normal computing they stay under 55.

I have replaced my stock CPU fan with Cooler Master Hyper 212 and have added 3 more 140mm fans.

The placement of fans would be - In the front its an INTAKE, back its an EXHAUST, Left its an EXHAUST again, and Bottom its an INTAKE (Bottom one is a 120mm fan).

When I open the left door of the cabinet and do gaming, it works fine with minimal heating but the moment I close the door again and start gaming, the problem hits me back again. I tried re-seating the CPU Cooler over CPU with Thermal Paste but to no avail and I'm tired of this problem cos I bought this Rig to game and that I cannot do.

Firstly the side-panel (left) fan should be an intake also, to throw air on the graphics card.

You have a Cooler Master eXtreme Power Pro SMPS, right? If yes that can be an issue here.

How are you applying the thermal-paste (how much are you putting) and what is the orientation of the cooler, is it North-South OR East-West?

Hi, do not use the left fan as exhaust since you will be creating a, use it as intake or don't use the left fan at all, try this and see if it solves your problem, cheers. (alpha you beat me to it)

Any improvement after changing the left fan as Intake? Hyper 212 with one fan? The fan should be near the back exhaust fan and should be PULL. If it is on the other side it should PUSH. Verify this.

Firstly the side-panel (left) fan should be an intake also, to throw air on the graphics card.

You have a Cooler Master eXtreme Power Pro SMPS, right? If yes that can be an issue here.

How are you applying the thermal-paste (how much are you putting) and what is the orientation of the cooler, is it North-South OR East-West?

Thanks for the reply Alpha17. OK! So I will change the Side-Panel fan as an intake. But my only concern is that the temperature inside the cabinet is so high that I need to throw the hot air out to keep it running. Would it help this way?

This is the exact name of the SMPS - Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 600W. Can you please tell me why it can be an issue? Has it been problematic lately?

And to be very honest, I have little idea about Thermal Paste as I did not assemble my rig but some other guy did from whom I bought my rig. I saw him emptying the whole Thermal Paste Tube when he fixed the Hyper 212 CPU Cooler. But even before installing Hyper 212, I had a similar problem. So I guess it has nothing to do with thermal paste. Cos even with the stock fan, it got overheated and shutdown.

I'll do the Fan Position adjustment and will let you know soon. Thanks a lot. Will let you know ASAP.

Hi, do not use the left fan as exhaust since you will be creating a, use it as intake or don't use the left fan at all, try this and see if it solves your problem, cheers. (alpha you beat me to it)

Thanks buddy. I will do that and will let you know real soon.:)

Any improvement after changing the left fan as Intake? Hyper 212 with one fan? The fan should be near the back exhaust fan and should be PULL. If it is on the other side it should PUSH. Verify this.

I'm yet to change the position of the left fan as an Intake. Will let you know ASAP. Hyper 212 with one fan? I did not get you correctly. The Hyper 212 has only one fan if that's what you are asking. :)

Hyper 212 is placed so that it throws the heat to the back exhaust. So it is like Hyper 212 throwing heated air to the back exhaust fan and the back exhaust fan is throwing the heated air out of the case. Hope I explained it good. And thanks for the assistance. I will change the position of the left fan and will reply ASAP. :)

If CPU is not the culprit, no need to mess with CPU cooler. To determine the culprit, run a CPU benchmark from BenchmarkHQ . If system doesn't behave abnormally, CPU is blameless and power supply is also not so bad that it cannot even cope with a CPU under load.

Remaining possibilities are PSU failing to cope with graphics card when gaming, graphics card overheating. Correcting the side fan orientation should help with the latter.

I'm yet to change the position of the left fan as an Intake. Will let you know ASAP. Hyper 212 with one fan? I did not get you correctly. The Hyper 212 has only one fan if that's what you are asking.

You can add another fan to the Hyper 212 EVO so that is becomes a push-pull configuration instead of just puller configuration.

Nothing is wrong with the placing of the CPU cooler; change the side-panel to intake as has been repeatedly mentioned in the thread.

For the CPU thermal paste application I was afraid that the assembly guy had completely emptied the tube of paste on the CPU in one application. This is not how the thermal paste is to be used. It has to be a layer as thin as possible otherwise instead of helping with heat-dissipation it actually retards the heat-transfer between the CPU and the cooler. For more on topic, read following -- Guide - How TIM Works & How To Apply It Correctly | bit-tech.net / Benchmark Reviews: Performance Computer Hardware Tests.

You only need a tiny amount of TIM. In fact, a blob the size of a grain of rice is usually the correct amount of the usual paste-type TIM for modern CPUs with an integrated heatspreader, as shown above.

if you are using a liquid metal thermal interface material, such as Coollaboratory Liquid Pro, you'll need even less of it. Be aware that these types of TIM are tricky to apply and remove (and they also conduct electricity) so make sure you don't get any inside your case.

This is the exact name of the SMPS - Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 600W. Can you please tell me why it can be an issue? Has it been problematic lately?

For the Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus series, here is why you should avoid them -- http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eXtreme-Power-Plus-600-W-Power-Supply-Review/1034

Some cannot deliver on their rated / labelled output, if they deliver that output the level of ripple and noise is very high thereby making them perfectly capable of killing your hard-drive(s) and graphic card.

If CPU is not the culprit, no need to mess with CPU cooler. To determine the culprit, run a CPU benchmark from BenchmarkHQ . If system doesn't behave abnormally, CPU is blameless and power supply is also not so bad that it cannot even cope with a CPU under load.

Remaining possibilities are PSU failing to cope with graphics card when gaming, graphics card overheating. Correcting the side fan orientation should help with the latter.

Thanks dude. As I could not figure out what program to use from your BenchmarkHQ, I used another program which I have been using lately called 'BurnIn Test'. It takes 15 minutes and pushes the whole system to its maximum limits and the scary part is that after 12-14 minutes, the CPU Tower heats up real bad and the system shuts down. In other words, it fails the test. I have no idea what is going wrong and if someone says that I need to install more fans then lemme tell you that I have 4 fans. 5 is the limit and I would have installed the 5th one too if I had space in the cabinet but I do not have that. But its a Cooler Master Cabinet, 3 fans 140mm each, 1 fan 120mm, a Cooler Master 212 Hyper CPU Cooler so I think I have installed everything to keep it cool but still it heats up and then shuts down. This happens only when I play games. Anything else to help me out on this one? Please! I seriously think its a Hardware issue. And also I'm ready to give a point to Thermal Paste Application. Alpha17 has posted certain links so I'm gonna go through them and see how it fairs. Thanks yet again :)

You can add another fan to the Hyper 212 EVO so that is becomes a push-pull configuration instead of just puller configuration.

Nothing is wrong with the placing of the CPU cooler; change the side-panel to intake as has been repeatedly mentioned in the thread.

For the CPU thermal paste application I was afraid that the assembly guy had completely emptied the tube of paste on the CPU in one application. This is not how the thermal paste is to be used. It has to be a layer as thin as possible otherwise instead of helping with heat-dissipation it actually retards the heat-transfer between the CPU and the cooler. For more on topic, read following -- Guide - How TIM Works & How To Apply It Correctly | bit-tech.net / Benchmark Reviews: Performance Computer Hardware Tests.

For the Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus series, here is why you should avoid them -- Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 600 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

OK! I think I get this one. I will try to install another fan on Hyper 212 EVO but Im afraid that I have no space to do it and if at all I do it, then I think I wont be able to adjust the RAM cos either of them will get in the way and spoil the placement. This one is looking hard. I'll still try and let you know.

I have also changed the side panel Fan position and now its an INTAKE. I'm still to test this configuration on GAMING. Will let you know in an hour or so cos I've just started the PC and came here straight after changing the position.

Now after testing this new INTAKE tweak, I will let you know how did it go. Also I have this thing to tell you that this Overheating+Shutdown problem has been this way ever since I bought this machine. Now I have no idea that how did he fix the AMD FX 8150 and if at all he applied the thermal paste cos as far as I know, with stock Heatsink (The one that is a small fan), we don't apply any thermal paste. And when he installed the Hyper 212 EVO, he applied the whole Tube. So either way it heated up and shut down.

But no worries, I will go through every article you have posted, will read them and then will let you know again.

Thanks a lot. Please stay with me on this one. It would be a huge help. Thanks again.

For the Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus series, here is why you should avoid them -- Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 600 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

I changed that left Fan as an INTAKE and tried playing games but it is still overheating. Also I figured out like you said that the Thermal Paste can be a serious issue. I was wrong and even the Stock CPU Heatsink had the Thermal Paste. Thank you for educating me on this one :) . Now the only thing that is left is to try the new Thermal Paste with that very small quantity.

Can you please suggest me a good Thermal Paste Kit. I live in New Delhi. If at all you have any idea about it. I can do it myself with the help of those ARTICLES you posted. They were really good and helpful. Once again thanks.

Can you please suggest me a good Thermal Paste Kit. I live in New Delhi. If at all you have any idea about it. I can do it myself with the help of those ARTICLES you posted. They were really good and helpful. Once again thanks.

If you are open to online purchases, here are the options you have --
If you plan to sweep through only Nehru Place then visit SMC International and Compter Empire and ask for the following pastes --
  • Cooler Master Thermal Fusion 400
  • Cooler Master HTK002
Hope this helps, Cheerio!

If you are open to online purchases, here are the options you have --
If you plan to sweep through only Nehru Place then visit SMC International and Compter Empire and ask for the following pastes --
  • Cooler Master Thermal Fusion 400
  • Cooler Master HTK002
Hope this helps, Cheerio!
thermal fusion 400 isnt available at any of these online stores :( cheapest i could find is rs 625 ebay!!!! any better deal available ???

thermal fusion 400 isnt available at any of these online stores :( cheapest i could find is rs 625 ebay!!!! any better deal available ???

I find it is available locally for ~600/- (in Bangalore and Delhi), online it is much harder to trace. The IT Depot used to stock it but no more it seems.

It does not make that much of difference between brands.

I am aware that between brands there is not even ~5° C of difference in performance (best vis-á-vis worst) but that does not mean OP can be advised to buy Cooler Master HTK002 ~175/-.

It is much better if he invests in TuniQ TX-2 OR Arctic Silver 5 because these are much better in the following spheres --
  • Usability -- I have used all three pastes I have listed (TX-2, Arctic Silver 5 and Cooler Master's HTK 002) and it is simply easier to spread the former options than the HTK 002;
  • Use and forget -- Again the Cooler Master paste dries up within ~3 -->4 months and is detrimental to the setup compared to Arctic Silver which can be put and forgotten (as long as contact between surfaces is not broken) and TuniQ TX-2 which needs to be replaced once ~8 -->10 months.
  • Composition -- The Arctic Silver paste has Silver used in it, having a metallic substrate allows it to be the best conductor, the TX-2 and HTK 002 are silicone based paste and the latter is almost as good as dried toothpaste in my opinion.
Here is a more comprehensive round-up of thermal pastes --> http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=150&Itemid=62.

As one who bought Arctic Silver 5 from Amazon long time back, after reading all the rave reviews, I know that it does not make that much of a difference. I suggested any thermal paste, because then he would know whether the thermal paste makes a difference. Once his heating problem is solved he can look around for the best thermal paste.

As one who bought Arctic Silver 5 from Amazon long time back, after reading all the rave reviews, I know that it does not make that much of a difference. I suggested any thermal paste, because then he would know whether the thermal paste makes a difference. Once his heating problem is solved he can look around for the best thermal paste.

And I still am off the opinion that the Cooler Master eXtreme Pro is crapping on him.

Suggesting random paste to him is not the answer, give him options (names) OR he might as well apply some cheap 'chuuna' on his processor and try to work with that.

I personally vouch for the TuniQ TX-2 but getting it anywhere but Bangalore is difficult so no point shoehorning it here. Cooler Master Thermal Fusion 400 / Arctic Silver 5 are the other options easier to find online and in Nehru Place.

hey dude tuniq tx2 is available for 410 rs and mx2 for around same.. although these have to be got from outside.. if you want i can send you my new tx2 i brought 15 days ago.. used for 1 installation only.. its a great paste.. otherwise order nt-h1 from noctua.

as a matter of fact we can get mx2 1.5gm for 140 rs, if people are willing.. we can start a GO # ALPHA17 # sankar_45

Back