PC Peripherals Difference between FSP SAGA II 500w and CORSAIR 450vx

Nishu

Adept
I have seen that FSP SAGA II 500w sosts much lessser than CORSAIR 450vx.

And even the fsp model has 50 w extra ,i know watts dont mark the performance of any psu.

So can any one explain me why the performance of corsair450vx is better.

Also if the following rig is used then which can be used even if the cpu is OC.

Processor : AMD phenomIIx4 955 BE,

Mobo:790gx or 790fx especially asus m4a785td-v-evo

Ram:2 gb

HDD:500 gb

GFX:ATI hd 4850,4870 or 4890.

Case:CM Elite 430 or NZXT gamma

So what do you say guys.

Also can anyone link me to a guide which can help to judge the performance of psu.

Thanks in advance.

The 450VX is a 80+ certified power supply. It has also been known to deliver about 60W beyond it specifications. Corsair has a nice reputation for after sales support, the product comes with a five year warranty. So depending on your system configuration, it can handle a high end(single core) graphic card as well. All that makes it a fool and future proof investment.

Well a lot of things determine the quality of a power supply unit

This article gives you an idea of about how the quality of a PSU is measured
Why 99% of Power Supply Reviews Are Wrong | Hardware Secrets

For Starters
--- Whether it can deliver the maximum output specified on the box , as the article suggested a 700w PSU may burn if try to pull450+w from it
--- Efficiency of the PSU ( Corsair is certified 80% )
--- Clean voltage low noise and less ripple... more noise would mean more chances of computer part failure like HDD failure, Mobo failure, gfx card failure

The Corsair has been a constant performer with good components and lots of positive reviews.... whereas I can barely find one for the FSP Saga
Also Compare this
a FSP Saga II 500 watt price is much less than a FSP Blue Storm 500 80 and much much less than a FSP Everest 80 broze certified

It all depends on the components used....

FSP has quite decent SMPS, but comparing it with Corsair in terms of quality and then thrashing it is not justified. FSP has got good SMPS like the Saga II which are considered the best VFM supplies for a low-mid end systems (Anything below HD4850).

@OP: A Corsair CX400 would be optimum incase you plan a HD4850. Anything higher will demand a VX450 or VX550.

sato1986 said:
FSP has quite decent SMPS, but comparing it with Corsair in terms of quality and then thrashing it is not justified. FSP has got good SMPS like the Saga II which are considered the best VFM supplies for a low-mid end systems (Anything below HD4850)
Like Wise !!!

You could also look at Seasonic, they seem to have cheaper PSU's and I have been running a 380W on C2Q System with a 4870.

nitant said:
You could also look at Seasonic, they seem to have cheaper PSU's and I have been running a 380W on C2Q System with a 4870.
The only downside is the warranty period.

^Not exactly rebadged per se. The design is Seasonic essentially but Corsair has changed and tweaked some of the internals. I recall Redbeard (Corsair rep) posting this in a couple of forums.

Thanks guys for your valuable replies.
I have a small doubt can corsair vx450 handle hd 4890 with the configuration in first post.

Spectre said:
^ It would, but that will be like stressing it

I would go for VX550 @ Rs.4500 for a 4890 and ur config
people have run 4870 CF over vx450 but i wouldnt advice that.

my current config is very similar to what OP mentioned.

add 1-2 hdds and 5 system fans to it.

i monitor the psu fan noise and psu case temperature and i dont see much noise and temp difference after a some stress testing of 4890 at 950/1000

THE x4 running at 3.6GHz at the same.

although i should have tested exhaust temperature instead.. :p

neither does the performance gets any chopped.

i will still try getting some rail testing with help of monitoring apps.

as long as peak power consumption is below 400w, im not gonna be much concerned :p

the psu is well capable of a lil above 550W as per hwsecrets.. where even cm extremepower 600w couldnt pass 450w without failing.

asingh said:
^^

What all you have on your system. Running it off a VX450..?
X4 B50 @ 3.1GHz / 1.22V (1.235V in bios)

790GX Board

2GB DDR2 800MHz

HD4890 1GB @ 880/999 1.31V | 240/999 0.93V at idle

1TB WD Black, 1.5TB WD Green

Total of 5 120mm fans including cpu one.

DVD RW

most of the fans run at 40-60% at idle and little higher at load.

fan control using NZXT Sentry2

All components which can be tweaked have been brought ot the lowest voltage/frequency possible for idle operations.

the HD4890 is also stable at 160/999 at 0.93V voltage as per tests.. have to implement the same over bios soon :p

the 240/99 profile voltage was 1.08V previously..

results in 5-6c drop at idle with drop to 0.93V

im using temperature sensors of sentry2 to monitor case ambient and vx450w case temps.

although the sensor has been stuck on the face of case of vx450 where the internal cable come out. the sensor reads very well. one of the sensors is stuck on wd black drive as sentry shows me same temps as what everest, hwmon and hdtune show me for the same.

I do agree with all here that FSP makes some good power supplies.

The FSP350 is available at Rs.1500/- approx and makes a great buy for entry-level computers on a tight budget.

(It's the bare minimum i would suggest to anyone though i wish the cables were a bit longer for sure)

But i am not sure if the FSP500 at Rs.2800/- (?) makes a great buy,

especially if it has short cables like the 350 and 2 years warranty (replacement/repair?).

The Corsair CX400 is around Rs.2700/- and has 3 years warranty too- replacement warranty like the higher Corsair power supplies?

The VX450, at around Rs.3500-Rs.3700 i think, needs no recommendation.

Does anyone know what the ratings on that FSP SAGAII 500 are?

I would go for Saga II 500W. It's a decent power supply with this price point. The best cable length is enough for oneself. Too long cable length will make the heat hard to exaust.:clap:

Corsair power supply is good also. But they keep too much margin on it.

Back