Camera Digital Camera Buying Reference Guide

nac

Adept
I am sure nobody wants to pay for something which they don't want/use. There are tons of cameras are coming and going every year. It's hard to pick the one when you see so many models. I am just going to talk about the features/factors you should keep in mind when buying a digital camera.

Try to put these in paper, it will really be helpful in deciding what camera you want.
- You're thinking of buying a digital camera for some reason. May be you're buying for casual/home use or may be you are an enthusiast or may be you're looking for a camera something better than your mobile camera.
- What kinda photography you will do with the camera? Low light, macro, action/sport, landscape, portrait, birding.
- Features you want like viewfinder, plenty of zoom, touch screen...
- What type of camera you want? Fixed or Interchangeable camera.
- Are you okay with the bulky size or you want a compact one?
- And most importantly your budget?

Many thinks that higher the megapixel, better the picture quality will be. No, it's not. May be it was the case a decade ago, not now. All the modern cameras have more than enough megapixels. So don't give too much importance to megapixel esp. if you're not gonna print big size photographs.

Sensitivity - Almost all the modern cameras have good range of ISO. No matter how wide the range is, the entry level compact cameras don't produce impressive photographs when you start to push beyond base ISO. Higher the ISO, poorer the image quality will be.

Do your own research before buying. Read reviews of the cameras you have narrowed down. Every camera has it's own merits and demerits, so don't dig too much to find "the best" camera and confuse yourself.

Finally, try the camera before buying esp. if you're investing big and look for the best deal around.

POINT AND SHOOT
If you are looking for a camera for casual/home use and don't want to bother about the settings, this is for you.
sony-wx350-4%20copy-580-90.jpg

Nikon S6800
Nikon S9600
Sony WX200
Sony WX350
Sony WX80

POINT AND SHOOT with manual controls
If you want to fiddle with the settings of your point and shoot, this is for you.

olympusxz10b.jpg

Canon SX510
Canon SX700
Olympus XZ10
Sony HX60V

BRIDGE

If you want plenty of zoom but don't mind the bulky form factor, this is for you.
panasonic-lumix-fz200.jpg

Canon SX50 HS
Fujifilm HS50EXR
Panasonic FZ200

Panasonic FZ70

LARGE SENSOR COMPACT
This of for someone who gives weightage to image quality. It's pocket friendly, have some manual controls.
canon_g16_front_450.jpg

Canon G16
Fujifilm X20
Fujifilm XF1
Nikon P340
Sony RX100

PREMIUM COMPACT
This is for someone who gives weightage to image quality and want high end features like the ones you get from a DSLR. Though it is compact, not as small as point and shoot.

fujifilm_x100s_black-550x308.jpg

Canon G1X Mark II
Fujifilm X100s
Sony RX1 R

Sony RX10

RUGGED
This is a camera you can use in a situation where you normally wouldn't with your normal camera.
Aw120-550x345.jpg

Nikon AW120

Me and some freinds have created a new quiz that can help you find the camera that is perfect for your needs at http://wizitapp.com/cameras
I would love to get some reviews on the quiz and the website. Is our recommendation suitable for you needs? what do you think about it from a professional point of view or as a normal user? Thanks!

Nice work Nadav.

I would prefer if you provide information/guide/tips about things I should consider when buying rather than giving me a one single model. I wouldn't know what I am losing by going with the suggested one. I would take time and do my own research before buying (at least this is case with the camera). So it's not for me. But I am sure there will be lot of people would find your tool useful.

Hi nac :)

Thanks for your replay and great feedback! We are currently working on product suggestions display as one of our top priorities, our current top effort is in providing the perfect camera according to the user needs to begin with ;)

Thanks!
Nadav

Back