Storage Solutions Dilemma of using old HDD in new rig.....

Guys,just days ago I had posted a thread asking for help in building my new gaming rig.Well,most of the components[except my PSU] have been delivered.As I was talking to the guy who is going to assemble my CPU,he gave me a suggestion to use my old HDD with the new one,as it would give me and my family more space to put in new stuff in the new HDD.Well,I liked the idea and told him we would go through with it,but then,many questions popped in my mind as soon as I had finished my conversation with him.Well,first let me give you the specs:-
1)OLD HDD:-Western Digital Caviar Green-WD10EZRX-00D8PB0[ASIN number,I guess] and here is the link http://www.amazon.in/WD-Caviar-Desktop-Internal-WD10EZRX/dp/B00769WETS.The reason,I provided you guys the ASIN number is because when I saw the price of this HDD now,it is 12K bucks....I don't believe I paid that much amount in 2011-12,so check the ASIN number that i got in my devices list in the control panel.
NEW HDD:-Toshiba 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD.Link:-http://www.amazon.in/Toshiba-Internal-Hard-Drive-DT01ACA100/dp/B00A0KXK7U?_encoding=UTF8&keywords=1tb%20hdd%20toshiba&linkCode=sl1&linkId=b476891eb75940ea155299da093c4c89&qid=1481107684&ref_=as_li_ss_tl&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3&tag=curse0d-21.

Now,here are my queries:-
1)I am intending to install win 10 pro 64 bit version[in my new HDD],will it somehow clash with the win7 OS in my harddisk.
2)I just do not have applications installed in the C drive,but also in other drives.Even if I format the C drive,will the installed applications cause any problems,how do I get rid of them,and start a new PC life on the new HDD by installing them in the new HDD.
3)As the drive is like 3-4 years old[already reached its expectancy],would it be wise to have all the data stored in it?
4)As the old HDD is of Western Digital caviar series and the new one is of Toshiba,will they clash with each other?
5)Can I create separate profiles[like administrator,User1] for both the harddisks.Like say,the new HDD would have administrator rights and the old HDD would be like user1[and we will only use it if we need to see the old data].Can I somehow bifurcate them in separate profiles and not have them together in a single one?

Now,this are my current queries,but understand one thing,I do not intend to use the old win7 on my old HDD,as I am going to game a lot,and I need win 10 64 bit.Also,the data in my old HDD is precious[pics,personal info,etc].I want it all,not just some to be integrated with the new rig.Please read the whole thing,and then only comment.Have a nice day.

Now,here are my queries:-
1)I am intending to install win 10 pro 64 bit version[in my new HDD],will it somehow clash with the win7 OS in my harddisk.

You can set it to dual boot but you will have to reinstall Windows 7 again as the new hardware means it won't work properly.

2)I just do not have applications installed in the C drive,but also in other drives.Even if I format the C drive,will the installed applications cause any problems,how do I get rid of them,and start a new PC life on the new HDD by installing them in the new HDD.

None of your applications will work in the new OS. You will have to reinstall all of them.

3)As the drive is like 3-4 years old[already reached its expectancy],would it be wise to have all the data stored in it?

If it's important data like pics or documents etc keep a cloud backup. Hard drives can go kaput anytime.

4)As the old HDD is of Western Digital caviar series and the new one is of Toshiba,will they clash with each other?

Nope.

5)Can I create separate profiles[like administrator,User1] for both the harddisks.Like say,the new HDD would have administrator rights and the old HDD would be like user1[and we will only use it if we need to see the old data].Can I somehow bifurcate them in separate profiles and not have them together in a single one?

Not sure if this can be done.

I'd suggest you get an SSD and set it as your primary OS drive. The performance boost is quite large. Keep your older HDD as secondary and store all your data on it.

Last edited:
Get an SSD , for 2.5k you can get a intel 520 180gb SSD on eBay, it's 10/10 for its price.

For HDD, if you don't have a backup of your data then buy a new HDD, old one can fail anytime.

...Also,the data in my old HDD is precious[pics,personal info,etc]...

If you have any kind of important data you shouldn't be storing it on one HDD alone. Make at least one offline backup, preferably multiple (cloud, external hdd, flash drives, dvds, floppy disks...)[DOUBLEPOST=1487352578][/DOUBLEPOST]
For HDD, if you don't have a backup of your data then buy a new HDD, old one can fail anytime.

Any hdd, even a brand new one, can fail anytime. More people need to be aware of this before trusting their important data to a single storage device.

Any hdd, even a brand new one, can fail anytime. More people need to be aware of this before trusting their important data to a single storage device.

wait, What the failure rate?, Feelsbadman
now my problem is the HDD prices are High and surveillance HDDs have data correction Thing,

I have (other than my OS ssd), a 320gb, two 2TBs and a portable 1tb. I used to keep redundant copies but ran out of space. Now, since internet is so fast, i just dir index my hdds so even if one dies, i know exactly what i've lost. I can just download it again. This is mainly movies/tv shows etc. Important personal data i have multiple redundant copies. That would be a few gigs at most so it's not hard to backup.

Yeah hdds prices are totally fixed, the thailand floods never got over...

What data correction thing?

I have (other than my OS ssd), a 320gb, two 2TBs and a portable 1tb. I used to keep redundant copies but ran out of space. Now, since internet is so fast, i just dir index my hdds so even if one dies, i know exactly what i've lost. I can just download it again. This is mainly movies/tv shows etc. Important personal data i have multiple redundant copies. That would be a few gigs at most so it's not hard to backup.

Yeah hdds prices are totally fixed, the thailand floods never got over...

What data correction thing?

that data correction thing which according to WD, Makes SV drives Corrupt data and Have Low read speeds.[DOUBLEPOST=1487355160][/DOUBLEPOST]http://superuser.com/questions/834500/how-can-a-harddrive-be-optimized-for-surveillance-storage

Ok.

In any case surveillance drives are meant for constant video recording and are not intended for storing bit perfect data. A lost frame or two in a video stream doesn't matter, but a single corrupt byte could render a huge data file worthless.

I think the reds are pretty decent. Prices are another matter...

Ok.

In any case surveillance drives are meant for constant video recording and are not intended for storing bit perfect data. A lost frame or two in a video stream doesn't matter, but a single corrupt byte could render a huge data file worthless.

I think the reds are pretty decent. Prices are another matter...

HDD prices are not THAT bad now, the new seagate drives, its 7200 Rpm, the best bang for the buck, same as U.S
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Seagate-Barr...213567?hash=item237d6df53f:g:G0wAAOSwnbZYGHvs

Nope, the flood shit is still looting Indian markets. Years ago I remember buying 500gb baracuda for as low as 2.5k from lamington streets with 5 yrs warranty.

Nope, the flood shit is still looting Indian markets. Years ago I remember buying 500gb baracuda for as low as 2.5k from lamington streets with 5 yrs warranty.
That's soo low, on one hand 3tb drives are reaching 50$ and on the other hand india,

The sea gate I mentioned above, rivals the U.S price tho

Now,as most of you suggested to shift my OS to an SSD[fast loading times],I will clear up one thing,that is to say,I am not going to buy a SSD,as all my budget is already done with[I have gone like 10k over my initial budget already],so I definitely cannot spend more on what I think is an 'unnecessary luxury',that is to say,a SSD.So,please first read the entire post,analyze the queries and then give your answers in an chronological manner[if you know] which will benefit me a lot.I know it is a lot of work,but please,try to understand that finding a solution to this problem is very important to me.Have a good day :)

Now,as most of you suggested to shift my OS to an SSD[fast loading times],I will clear up one thing,that is to say,I am not going to buy a SSD,as all my budget is already done with[I have gone like 10k over my initial budget already],so I definitely cannot spend more on what I think is an 'unnecessary luxury',that is to say,a SSD.So,please first read the entire post,analyze the queries and then give your answers in an chronological manner[if you know] which will benefit me a lot.I know it is a lot of work,but please,try to understand that finding a solution to this problem is very important to me.Have a good day :)

SSD is Not a Luxury,Its 2017 not 2011, For 2.4k , a 180GB intel SSD is worth Every penny, You will notice a speed increase, Plus you can still buy a HDD[DOUBLEPOST=1487421756][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, Use Spacebar after a Comma, Like, This. please

SSD is Not a Luxury,Its 2017 not 2011, For 2.4k , a 180GB intel SSD is worth Every penny, You will notice a speed increase, Plus you can still buy a HDD[DOUBLEPOST=1487421756][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, Use Spacebar after a Comma, Like, This. please
Well,it may give me a significant advantage in terms of speed,but as I said,I cannot buy a SSD for another few months[at least].So,please guys,read my post completely and then answer the queries.I have not posted a query asking whether I should put my OS on an SSD....I have asked well....a lot....so please read it,it is just some pages above this reply :p.I am not trying to be rude here,I am actually in a hurry.My antec vp550p is coming by next thursday,and I will get my gaming rig assembled that day itself.By then,I have to sort this 'storage' problems that I have.

Well,it may give me a significant advantage in terms of speed,but as I said,I cannot buy a SSD for another few months[at least].So,please guys,read my post completely and then answer the queries.I have not posted a query asking whether I should put my OS on an SSD....I have asked well....a lot....so please read it,it is just some pages above this reply :p.I am not trying to be rude here,I am actually in a hurry.My antec vp550p is coming by next thursday,and I will get my gaming rig assembled that day itself.By then,I have to sort this 'storage' problems that I have.

In that case you can get a seagate barracuda 2tb for 4800 on eBay.in, Same as U.S

And again, please use a Spacebar after Every period, Like this, your paragraphs are really hard to read.

I did reply earlier. See the 2nd post. What other queries do you have?

You can set it to dual boot but you will have to reinstall Windows 7 again as the new hardware means it won't work properly.

None of your applications will work in the new OS. You will have to reinstall all of them.

If it's important data like pics or documents etc keep a cloud backup. Hard drives can go kaput anytime.

Nope.

Not sure if this can be done.

Btw now a days Os from win 7 onwards does takes any new hardware thrown at them. My personal experience. I tried both AMD/INTEL and various variants and they worked pretty well....tested only on 64bit Oses.
Now again unless its some unbranded mobo or so it might throw bsod during boot or refuse to boot.
So m sure you dont have to worry unless you are on Vista or XP.

I'm not sure if OP has actually bought a new 2nd HDD or is planning to buy one (the first post is a mess, can't read through it...)

Everyone suggesting an ssd should consider this first. (i too recommend an ssd for a boot/OS drive, but if he's already bought a new hdd, it may be pushing his budget).

I'm not sure if OP has actually bought a new 2nd HDD or is planning to buy one (the first post is a mess, can't read through it...)

Everyone suggesting an ssd should consider this first. (i too recommend an ssd for a boot/OS drive, but if he's already bought a new hdd, it may be pushing his budget).

No,I have not bought a new second HDD[may buy in 2-3 months].And yes,my brother decided to take matters in his own hands and bought a 200 GB SSD from our local hardware store :p.So,yes,my problem is solved and in a way,it seems all of you guy's desire to make me buy an SSD seemed to have taken a force of its own,and made a family member of mine buy it.The force is real,my frands,it is real :p,and yes the problem of the 'mighty os' is solved and I am gonna build my rig tomorrow itself.Will definitely post some pics and in-game SS's.Thanks to all :)

Back