Video dilemma on led TV's samsung UA40D6000SR Vs LG 42lw5700

tech1978

Disciple
I am planning to buy led tv.

Initially I finalized on samsung UA40D6000SR but when I went in shop that guy told me manu things about LG 42lw5700.

According to him plus points of lg are
2d to 3d converter (i am not sure how much difference it will make later)
3d goggles do not require charging and do not use flicking unlike samsung .
lg gives 4 goggles with it while samsung gives 1.
LG is using new technology.
I got this on net
Samsung & LG Clash Over Active Shutter Vs FPR Passive 3D TV Technology
https://fpr3dtv.wordpress.com/tag/shutter-glasses/
but not sure how much it will help to decide.
for me
I didn't find much difference in picture quality on videocon HD dth. I am going to try with playing HD camcorder on both the tvs, set to factory settings. I need to test 3d picture quality of both.
Let me know any other way to test it.

If any one has inputs on picture quality please share.
People who bring 3d tv do they really watch that much contents on it ?
Can we have 2d to 3d external converter available? I don't know anything about this stuff.
Can we have 3d glasses which do not require charging for watching samsung 3d tv?
problem with LG is its 42'' and will look really big for my room. They don't have 40'' model in this series. Even 40'' will look bigger but I will leave option of wall mounting.

Even Samsung has 2d to 3d converter. But the advantages with the lg are the light weight cheap glasses. The 3d is much better with next to none crosstalk and zero flicker(obviously). For the price of one pair of active shutter glasses you can get almost 10 pairs passive 3d glasses. Overall the 3d is much better in the LG. I was seriously contemplating on buying the D7000 46incher but after I saw the LG I almost decided to buy the 55incher in lw5700. But was still skeptic as the 55inch LG was costing as much as the 47inch samsung. Im not saying prices reflect PQ but still was doubtful. I was pretty impressed with the PQ in LG both in 2d and 3d and found no difference to that of samsung. Samsungs 3d was good too but slight crosstalk and expensive glasses and charging. And the other advantage with LG's 3d is you can sleep in almost any direction and watch the movie while in active 3d, you need to watch it straight ahead. And the normal viewing angles were much better than samsungs. My only gripes would be samsungs better bezel design(personal preference), better apps support by samsung(if that matters to you) and ability to record tv to a external hdd. So was not able to decide. And regarding 3d content, most new movies are releasing in 3d plus I would use the PS3 with 3d games, so it is important to me. So you need to decide if you would use it or not. It is a really wonderful experience though. And regarding the size, though you feel it would be huge, you will grow out of it in a few months. Many people feel they should have bought a bigger one after a few months. TVs look big when bought but look smaller after some months :p So it is better to buy the one which is feeling huge presently, so that it would feel normal afterwards.

Even I would be happy if anyone one like adder would be willing to see a demo of the LG and report their impressions.

And btw, report this thread to mods and get it shifted to the "consumer electronics buying advice" section if you want more/better replies.

pranaywhiz said:
Even Samsung has 2d to 3d converter. But the advantages with the lg are the light weight cheap glasses. The 3d is much better with next to none crosstalk and zero flicker(obviously). For the price of one pair of active shutter glasses you can get almost 10 pairs passive 3d glasses. Overall the 3d is much better in the LG. I was seriously contemplating on buying the D7000 46incher but after I saw the LG I almost decided to buy the 55incher in lw5700. But was still skeptic as the 55inch LG was costing as much as the 47inch samsung. Im not saying prices reflect PQ but still was doubtful. I was pretty impressed with the PQ in LG both in 2d and 3d and found no difference to that of samsung. Samsungs 3d was good too but slight crosstalk and expensive glasses and charging. And the other advantage with LG's 3d is you can sleep in almost any direction and watch the movie while in active 3d, you need to watch it straight ahead. And the normal viewing angles were much better than samsungs. My only gripes would be samsungs better bezel design(personal preference), better apps support by samsung(if that matters to you) and ability to record tv to a external hdd. So was not able to decide. And regarding 3d content, most new movies are releasing in 3d plus I would use the PS3 with 3d games, so it is important to me. So you need to decide if you would use it or not. It is a really wonderful experience though. And regarding the size, though you feel it would be huge, you will grow out of it in a few months. Many people feel they should have bought a bigger one after a few months. TVs look big when bought but look smaller after some months :p So it is better to buy the one which is feeling huge presently, so that it would feel normal afterwards.
Even I would be happy if anyone one like adder would be willing to see a demo of the LG and report their impressions.

And btw, report this thread to mods and get it shifted to the "consumer electronics buying advice" section if you want more/better replies.
Samsung has one model in 40'' that has 2d to 3d converter but it is out of my budget. My budget is max 75k.
Regarding size yes, I am also thinking on similar way.
What you are saying regarding 3d glasses about samsung and LG is correct.
I am not into gaming so I am not worried about it.

I myself own LG 42LW5700. Would like you to condiser the following points regarding LW5700.

1.when i compared LG LW5700 and Samsung, LG has excellent video quality over Samsung. Good contrast and deeper blacks. This is ofcourse due to local dimming feature on LG. Please not that LG's local dimming is not full dimming (found on backlit LED's) as its a edgelit LED.

2.LG has a ver good 3D quality too. when compared with the samsung which has active 3D, LG's Passive 3D is much better. Because :

>There is equal to ZERO cross talk.

> Ghosting is no there.

> Very Cheap and very comfortable 3D glasses.

Alot of people would say that active 3D is better than passive, as passive reduces the image resolution into half. that is original video in 1080p will become 720p. But trust me, Active has other disadvantages like cross talk and image ghosting, which are close to nill in LG..So you would apreciate LG's overall 3D quality.

>2D to 3D conversion is an added benefit as in India a 3D blue ray title will atleast cost you more than Rs 1000. so you can also upconvert you regular DVD's and HD videos into 3D at no extra cost. and beleive me that 3D quality of the converted ones is not bad at all.

2.Samsung has high sharpness, but it looks good only with HD videos. as most of the channels in india are SD, the high sharpness increases the graininess of the SD video. But LG does a good job with SD videos too along with awesome HD videos.

3.Alot of people say LG has a definitive problem when playing Video games through consoles like PS3's and Xbox 360. that means there would be a little time gap between input on the console controller and action on the TV. But I have not experiences it so far. I own a PS3 and most play FPS games and have never obseverved any lag.

4.LG also has DVR/PVR function, that is one can record videos on the TV when connected with a Flash drive or HDD through the USB port on the TV.`

Back