Storage Solutions disabling windows partitions???

is it possible to temporarily disable partitions in windows ? for example, if there is C:, D:,E: and F: drives, and if i want to disable D:, E: and F:, is it possible to do so...if yes...then how do i go abt doing so?

use the Group Policy editor( type gpedit.msc in the run box) and change whether it is accessible and/or visible. I use it for hiding my C: partition which is only for swap.

Inside the Group Policy editior:
User Configuration>Administrative Templets>Windows Components>Windows Explorer

look for: "Hide these specified drives in my computer" and "Prevent access to drives from my computer"

or simply use tweakui

let me explain the reason for asking this question...u c i want to install linux and being a newbie in installing linux...i require that when linux partition comes into picture..i dont want the drives (which i hide) to be visible there...(so that i dont end up installing linux in the wrong volume..since linux uses a different partitioning system) i just need to confirm this that whether the method bottle and broar mentioned will work ?

Tweakui prevents the partitions from being visible in my computer but i 'm not sure if it will prevent a linux setup from seeing it.

open computer management n go to drive management

rightclick on drive u want there will be drive letter option...select that n delete the assigned drive letter.

or u can use acronis disk director suite or partition magic to hide drives.

Balkazzaar said:
let me explain the reason for asking this question...u c i want to install linux and being a newbie in installing linux...i require that when linux partition comes into picture..i dont want the drives (which i hide) to be visible there...(so that i dont end up installing linux in the wrong volume..since linux uses a different partitioning system) i just need to confirm this that whether the method bottle and broar mentioned will work ?

Make a partition 1st & then rename that partition as Linux now when you boot in dos mode it will show u the name of the partition, I hope you can read that well & cant go wrong with it.

That's how I did it being a linux newbie myself.

EscSysRq said:
delete the drive latter...only

Balkazzaar said:
i didn't understand what u meant by that... plz elaborate...

madnav said:
open computer management n go to drive management

rightclick on drive u want there will be drive letter option...select that n delete the assigned drive letter.

i assumed OP already knew Computer Management ........................

ranjan2001 said:
Make a partition 1st & then rename that partition as Linux now when you boot in dos mode it will show u the name of the partition, I hope you can read that well & cant go wrong with it.

That's how I did it being a linux newbie myself.

ohh.....:hap2: :hap2: :hap2: thats a genius idea bro....y didn't i think of that....????:rofl: :rofl: :ashamed: :ashamed: .....its seems so naive at first but yes....thats a terrific idea...........i'll do that and let u know...:cool2: :D

Balkazzaar said:
ohh.....:hap2: :hap2: :hap2: thats a genius idea bro....y didn't i think of that....????:rofl: :rofl: :ashamed: :ashamed: .....its seems so naive at first but yes....thats a terrific idea...........i'll do that and let u know...:cool2: :D

How do you expect DOS to read linux filesystem(ext)?

Balkazzaar said:

dont worry abt that...the linux installation wouldnt show u the partition name(GParted) :p

just create a partion n remember its size...make ur no other partition has exactly same size if it helps...

that will surely help u choose the correct partition during the installation.

anyways acronis Disk director Suite will let u hide partitions which remain hidden in linus distro too.. dunno abt their availability during the installation though..

broar94 said:
How do you expect DOS to read linux filesystem(ext)?

U misunderstood that, he wants that when linux CD ask the path for installation that time he should get to the correct partition for which renaming the partition will ensure that.

Back