Video DishTV STB Issue

Neo-N

Skilled
Hi guys,

Needed some help and advice about the issue I am facing with my DishTV STB.

Recently it has become extremely slow and non responsive. Tried changing remote batteries, restarting etc. but nothing seems to work. There are times when I spend 3-4 minutes just to change from one channel to another!

Contacted DishTV today and asked them to upgrade the STB to a HD variant (since mine is the older SD one) and they refused saying that I have some FTA plan and that I cannot upgrade till 2018!

So I asked them to repair/replace my SD box as it is not working properly. And they told me that a replacement/repair is not possible and that I should buy a new STB from them by paying full price (INR 1,800/-)!

Is this the standard procedure? Isn't it a crazy thing to do? Why shouldn't I just get another connection from Tata Sky?

Thanks

Does your STB has buttons for changing channel and audio ? If yes, try using that for changing channel. If it still takes time to change channels, STB is at fault.

do you think it's the remote control? if it's too old then the contact points might've been worn out. you can open it to verify this.

^^ Wasn't sure it was the RC... hence tried changing batteries. But it is very new looking as it was always in a plastic cover.

Does your STB has buttons for changing channel and audio ? If yes, try using that for changing channel. If it still takes time to change channels, STB is at fault.

^^ Unfortunately the STB only has a power on/off switch! :(

But it is very new looking as it was always in a plastic cover.
unless you open it, you can't find out if the contacts are worn out. plastic cover can't protect the insides from wear. while it's open, check if the IR LED is in it's place. dropping the remote can change its alignment. try some other remote, mobile etc for comparison.

i fixed this issue on my remote by applying some aluminum tape on the worn out contacts and re-soldered the IR LED as was it wasn't aligned properly.[DOUBLEPOST=1460480636][/DOUBLEPOST]and STB can behave sluggish when it's downloading updates from the satellite. in this case, the only solution is to leave the STB always plugged-in and switched-on, so that when you need to watch TV, your STB is up-to-date. you can try this for couple of days.

Last edited:
Im facing the same issue with my dishtv wch is less than 1 yr old
Do the alternate remotes which are available in the market work with the dishtv stb?

I faced the same problem with my dish tv periodically , but found a solution

Open Dish Tv Menu
Select help
Then select STB info
Then press the red Setup button
A installation menu will open
DSC_0147.JPG

Scroll down select System setup
Then select the option
Erase EPG ,

DSC_0148.JPG

You will get a message
This will cause the EPG in the box be erased ,go ahead press ok
DSC_0149.JPG

DSC_0150.JPG

Press yellow button to exit or exit button
Sluggishness , unresponsive and getting hang quite often ,all these problems will be resolved

Attachments

• DSC_0151.JPG
    DSC_0151.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 326
I am getting my STB traded for a new one... Already placed a order on call but its not in stock so still pending dispatch. Will try your trick. Thanks!

Didn't work for me... Still on the sluggish remote!! :(

Also, Dish called saying that they cannot transfer my current package on the HD box. So basically some 5k of recharge will be lost if I upgrade my STB to HD now! :(

Back