Windows Dissociating a user-account from MS Office

Kilroyquasar

4 seconds, inhale; 4 seconds, exhale.
Skilled
hello,

am trying to setup office 365 for someone whom i recently added to a MS 365 family. she had earlier been using a counterf*it office 2016. now the account of hers which i added to the 365 family, is the same one which she had earlier used to log into office 2016. so, even though i've completely removed office 2016 from her laptop, whenever i install office 365, the system goes back to office 2016 only for that account (ie, office 2016 gets installed instead of office 365). i looked up on the web & came to know that there's seemingly no way to dissociate your account registered with any version of office. my question is, is there a workaround to it? or should ask her to register herself with MS anew, with new credentials, and then i add this new account to the 365 family, and then install office 365 for this new account?

pls suggest..

TIA!

You have to clean sweep all remains of office 2016 using cccleaner or similar tool and delete office folders from program files etc. Google for more.

Also, o365 means its either 2k16 or 2k19 depending on your subscription. Heres mine o365 ver 2k16:

1635837372278.png

Login to her https://account.microsoft.com/services and check what al subscription is active.

You have to clean sweep all remains of office 2016 using cccleaner or similar tool and delete office folders from program files etc. Google for more.

thanks. i already did that multiple times. but with installation of office 365, those folders get recreated in the program files.

Also, o365 means its either 2k16 or 2k19 depending on your subscription. Heres mine o365 ver 2k16:

it however shows this on my own pc (and i too am a member of a 365 family):

1635838596637.png

i have the office 365 apps downloaded onto my pc, which is what i had been trying to do on her pc too for her account, but everytime it'd just reinstall office 2016, despite having cleaned the previous installation completely. because her account was originally linked to O2016 is why i think it is just reinstating the same version rather than installing O365 apps. i have asked her to create a new account now, which i'll add to the 365 family & remove the earlier one.

One question...is this happening specific to her laptop only? Or in other devices as well? I mean her account login in another device.

@nRiTeCh

The version number on your screenshot (16.0.4229.1002) belongs to a pre-RTM preview build of Office. The warning message (i.e. "This product will not be updated") too indicates the same.

Office 365 (now known as Microsoft 365, as shown in the screenshot posted by @Kilroyquasar) SKUs always show the associated 365 branding on the Products Information screen. It could be possible that you've a leftover license trail, but I can't exactly diagnose the state without taking a look at the license store of your Windows instance.

@Kilroyquasar

Office 2016, 2019, 2021, and the subscription-based 365 SKUs share the same codebase (that includes the licensing modules as well), which is why the installation gets reverted back to the old license status. Microsoft used to maintain a set of scripts to completely remove the traces of Office products for system admins, but they have yet to release a consumer-friendly version.

Fortunately, a proper open source community-made alternative exists, so you can use it to easily get rid of the existing Office 2016 license certificates. Then grab the installer (or the standalone ISO) from the Office 365 dashboard of your account, perform a clean install, and post feedback.

Last edited:
I have permanently disabled office updates as I'm least interested in them hence the message.

I stand corrected, since the warning is indeed true for release channel builds as well under that scenario.

Nonetheless, paying for a subscription-based product that gets feature updates through new builds and disabling its updates doesn't really make sense, IMHO.

:p

hello,

am trying to setup office 365 for someone whom i recently added to a MS 365 family. she had earlier been using a counterf*it office 2016. now the account of hers which i added to the 365 family, is the same one which she had earlier used to log into office 2016. so, even though i've completely removed office 2016 from her laptop, whenever i install office 365, the system goes back to office 2016 only for that account (ie, office 2016 gets installed instead of office 365). i looked up on the web & came to know that there's seemingly no way to dissociate your account registered with any version of office. my question is, is there a workaround to it? or should ask her to register herself with MS anew, with new credentials, and then i add this new account to the 365 family, and then install office 365 for this new account?

pls suggest..

TIA!
I went through this issue few months back.
MS provides a tool to help you remove and install fresh office 365.
I was running a torrent copy of office.

Try to use your office activations link in any office product and use office 365 credentials.

Hope that takes you too the right tool.

Download O365 iso and try again

had done that as well (offline installer).

One question...is this happening specific to her laptop only? Or in other devices as well? I mean her account login in another device.

have checked on her laptop only. yet to see on her tab.

Office 2016, 2019, 2021, and the subscription-based 365 SKUs share the same codebase (that includes the licensing modules as well), which is why the installation gets reverted back to the old license status. Microsoft used to maintain a set of scripts to completely remove the traces of Office products for system admins, but they have yet to release a consumer-friendly version.

Fortunately, a proper open source community-made alternative exists, so you can use it to easily get rid of the existing Office 2016 license certificates. Then grab the installer (or the standalone ISO) from the Office 365 dashboard of your account, perform a clean install, and post feedback.

thanks. that explains it.
this 'office scrubber', is it 'microsoft support & recovery assistant tool'? because i had downloaded this from another source & the filename is 'SetupProd_OffScrub', hence assuming so.

I went through this issue few months back.
MS provides a tool to help you remove and install fresh office 365.
I was running a torrent copy of office.

Try to use your office activations link in any office product and use office 365 credentials.

Hope that takes you too the right tool.

thanks. same question - are you talking about the 'ms support & recovery assistant tool for o365'? because i had tried that too. but didnt help.

this 'office scrubber', is it 'microsoft support & recovery assistant tool'? because i had downloaded this from another source & the filename is 'SetupProd_OffScrub', hence assuming so.

Not exactly. The SaRA tool and Office Scrubber do have a few common components, but the former doesn't cover all possible scenarios.

For example, Office 2016 was available through the traditional MSI as well as modern Click-to-Run packages. The relevant license removal techniques are entirely different, but Office Scrubber is intelligent enough to deal with both of them.

had done that as well (offline installer).

have checked on her laptop only. yet to see on her tab.

thanks. same question - are you talking about the 'ms support & recovery assistant tool for o365'? because i had tried that too. but didnt help.
Did you uninstalled previous versions.
Login to microsoft from edge browser and download office 365 from subscription account.

Back