OC & Modding DIY DUAL SMPS trick !!

Darklord

Skilled
I had been facing a problem since i built my new system.

I had a Powersafe 500Watt SMPS but it was insufficient for my system as my system used to crash,cold bot ups.....
i knew it was because of the SMPS but couldnt think of a solution for it.

I was not interested to keep aside my 500 Watt PSU and buy an Antec.

Then i got an idea,why not use 2 PSUs?

i called up MASK and talked to him regarding the same.
He suggested me a solution for it but it would definately void warranty of both PSU.

So what i did,i shorted the Green & the Black wire on the 20 PIN ATX mobo power supply as these 2 get short when we start the machine.

Now i connected 2 HDDs,1 DVD-RW,1-92mm Fan,1-80mm Fan on the 350 Watt PSU.

Now the mobo,CPU & Grafix cards only work on my 500 Watt SMPS.

As soon as i did this and started my machine,it runs perfectly,no crashes,cold boot ups....

All i had to do was get a new cheap PSU.
I bot the full cabinet with the PSU which cost me 1500/-

i used the PSU only.

So my problem was solved by spending only 1500/- instead of spending 7-8k for Antec PSU.

Now isnt that cool?

This can be done to any machine.So if you are facing a power shortage problem with your old PSU,dont buy a new one.Use your old one that you are not using or get a cheap 300 Watt PSU that shud be around 400/- and you are done,just split the load.

I hope you like this small trick.
;)

oh yes a good , cheap solution.:clap:
but..... i will point out the minor drawbacks for the uninitiated or less techno savvy people.but the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks.
1) since the voltages of both the psu will not be the same it would be better if you power your main system hdd from the 500w one.

(under some configs and situations there can be reverse current flow , due to the potential difference in the power rails if the voltages vary drastically between the psu's)
2) the true "ground" level or potential of both the psu will not be the same too. (very tricky or dicey this one. difficult to explain in such short post)
3)for powering fans , led's etc... there will be no problem.
4) you will require an extra power lead from the mains socket. and the shorted pins (green + black) psu (300 watts one) will not switch off when you shut down the m/c from winxp directly. hence it is vital that one remembers to actually switch off the other psu from the mains.
Darky , from ur post it seems you have actually shorted the pins on the m/b.or what ???

i.e. the connector that is actually on the m/b. ?

or have you shorted the pins of the connector on the psu (300 watts)
old AT style psu can also be used this way, in some cases one may have to short the power_good signal wire.
again as mentioned above the benefits far outweigh these minor drawbacks and risks. hence once again :hap2: :clap:

COngratulations Darky :p

deejay said:
Darky , from ur post it seems you have actually shorted the pins on the m/b.or what ???

i.e. the connector that is actually on the m/b. ?

or have you shorted the pins of the connector on the psu (300 watts)

think he has shorted the Green and Black Leads on the 20-pin connector of 300W PSU itself. BTW, DJ, for both PSUs to power up simultaneously from the mobo, we need to short the green-to-green and black-to-black leads between the 2 PSUs right? or just green-to-green (without bothering about the black-to-black) wud do?

Congrats darky.....i think he doesnt know i tried triple PSU ;)
deejay said:
4) you will require an extra power lead from the mains socket. and the shorted pins (green + black) psu (300 watts one) will not switch off when you shut down the m/c from winxp directly. hence it is vital that one remembers to actually switch off the other psu from the mains.

IIRC, he has a Powersafe 500W, it has an outlet ( for monitors, etc. You cdan connect it to the PSU itself, thus this problem is avoided ;)

Back