Audio [DIY] : Fixing speaker volume control unit, possible ?

PoBoy

Skilled
I'm using Creative 2.1 speakers with my TV. Since the past few weeks, the volume control unit is not working properly - when I turn the wheel either left speaker goes off, or right one goes off, or both go off. Only after fiddling with it a bit do I get proper sound. Can it be fixed easily ?
Bought it about 5 years back.

^^ Off late all entry level creative volume controls go bad like this...

I had similar problem with my Creative 2.1... I tried to get it repaired but the guy was unable to do so... So without telling me he screwed it more by connecting both channels & it started working in mono... it was really annoying to use it in games when one channel is dead...

So I went ahead & bought another vol. control from Creative for 500bucks....:mad: Which again gave me same problem after one year.... This is when I stopped using the volume control & cello taped it to a point where I get both channels...

Its really hard to work with but better than getting a replacement..... :(

now I've DELL keyboard with vol control knob built in which works as my vol. control.... :eek:hyeah:

actually a dual channel pot costs only about 20 bucks or so. in fact, you dont need replacement all the time. Sometimes, a few drops of contact lubricating oil is all you need :)

I know how to solder...and i fixed my Creative 5.1 volume controll with it...I used a mutimeter to checked the connection between every 2 points in the circuit of the volume controll untill i found a dead zone where there was no flow of current...I soldered a ppiece of soldering wire thenre and now it works perfectly.

Same problem with my Inspire 5200. THe volume was getting PITA. used to get low every now and then.....I opened that mouse like thing and simply shorted the relevant points. Now its on full volume and I adjust the volume using the PC controls (which I was anyway doing before)

Back