Android Does any app uses IMEI

asheet

Adept
Hi
I recently lost my phone and have lodged a police complaint. Police says it may be traced if it comes online. But that is like a needle in a haystack ??
I was wondering if any app uses or monitors/saves phone IMEI number when a use installs it. I mean apps like Amazon, PayTM, snapdeal etc.
If Apps also start saving the IMEI for the sake of it or for authenticating/verifying a suspicious Tx, we have an excellent way to track an stolen phone.
Pl do let me know if any app you are aware of which monitors IMEI

Thanks

i think yes most apps know ur imei. like when on a cab booking app which gave first ride free i cud only do it 2 times with diff. no. and id even on reinstall of app etc.

Don't want to spoil your mood but, chances are very slim of getting a lost phone back.

The telcos can track down very easily but, they just don't care.

Keep the complaint copy safe with you. Nowadays anti social activities (you get what I mean) are increasing and if such character uses your phone at least you would have evidence that you filed a lost phone, complaint. It is something like robbery using a stolen car. The original owner does get questioned.

i think yes most apps know ur imei. like when on a cab booking app which gave first ride free i cud only do it 2 times with diff. no. and id even on reinstall of app etc.
I don't think these apps use IMEI. There are unique ID's associated with each phone. This ID gets modified if you flash another ROM (this is what I know). I forgot the name of this ID.

IMEI doesn't get modified. It is useful as a tracker. But, as I mentioned, telcos don't care.

If you remember the govt., banned chink cell phones at one time as all of them had the same IMEI number. The intelligent agencies had complained that they will have difficulty in tracking anti-social activities. This was in the news papers.

Back