Graphic Cards Does underclocking GPU help reduce temp ?

alienalone

Disciple
Hii frnds .. my newely purchased 9600GT is running quiet hot (Ideal == 54*C & Load == 75*C) ... so if I underclk it .. then will it run at lower temp when my system is ideal ??

Also is their any technology like 'Amd Cool & Quite' or 'Intel Speedstep' for nvidia cards also which help to reduce power consumption as well as lower down da temp ??

thnx in advance ....

Technically yes, but that's not the proper approach. It should run cool if running at rated speeds/not overclocked.
Your temps do seem to be a bit on the higher side, it's probably due to the low quality Thermal grease that comes from the factory wearing off.
Get a syringe of Tuniq TX2 thermal paste (about 150 INR), remove the HS, clean old paste and apply a fresh coat on both the core and the HS contact area.
Temps should drop by 5-10 degrees. :)

PS: The 9600GT also cuts it's core and mem clock when idle, use a tool like GPU-Z to see it in action :)

Ahh not quite hot there....u are okay with these temps.

However underclocking wud give u lesser temps. In this case its not needed.

Ya amd cool n quite, Intel speed step etc reduces power consumption (basically reducing the clocks by dropping multiplier, reducing volts to the cpu core, when the cpu power isnt needed. In my case with e8400 multiplier drops to 6 x 333 = 2ghz from 9 x 333 = 3ghz)

75C Load is fine , did you manually set the fan to a higher speed ? If not , use Riva Tuner to set fan at a higher speed .

Also since you mentioned card is new no need to re-apply thermal - paste .

udayrulz said:
75C Load is fine , did you manually set the fan to a higher speed ? If not , use Riva Tuner to set fan at a higher speed .
Also since you mentioned card is new no need to re-apply thermal - paste .

+1 To fan speed, i completely forgot to ask that.

On a side note, 75 degrees IS high for a 9600GT, though probably not high enough to cause alarm. Also, at times even new cards come with poorly applied/low quality thermal compound, so im quite sure it will help.

alienalone said:
Hii frnds .. my newely purchased 9600GT is running quiet hot (Ideal == 54*C & Load == 75*C) ... so if I underclk it .. then will it run at lower temp when my system is ideal ??

Also is their any technology like 'Amd Cool & Quite' or 'Intel Speedstep' for nvidia cards also which help to reduce power consumption as well as lower down da temp ??

thnx in advance ....

the temperature seems fine... you need not panic :)

ur card temps are fine , underclocking manually wont help coz the core will still get the stock voltage .

GTX 2xx series have 2d/3d power mods and they do help in keeping it cool , but they have different voltage for 2d (idle) / 3d ( load ) clocks .

The temps are fine. U might need a bit of extra case ventilation and it will go down to 68 around which is perfectly fine.:)

BTW, i dnt think Cool & Quiet applies to Graphics Cards.
ATI cards can downclock when idle due to powerplay but with 9600GT, dats not the case. Whether idle or not, the clocks stay same.
As such 9600GT consumes less power so i dnt even feel the need for that extra effort from ur side to downclock.
Stay chill and enjoy ur card. :eek:hyeah:

I cannot take risk of opening da card heatsink :( ... also I increased fan speed to 70% using rivatuner .. but no gain ... it luks like I've to wait for da winter season for da temp to come down.

anywayz .. thnx to all for helping me ..

which cabinet are u using? if using cm 690/590 etc where to and side fans can be mounted...add additional fans. No need to be high cfm for exhaust.

But for intake take a delta 90cfm or better performing one.(which i found is available right now frm vendors here)

even my 8800gts max outs @ 68 C but I have set fans @ max in my 900:hap2:

I'm using local UMAX cabinet :p ... wid 2 side intake fans (80mm) ... & one 80mm exhaust fan ... also da psu 120mm fan works in exhaust mode.

I'm thinking to buy Zebby Bijli cabinet ... (non of da local dealers here know abt Coolermaster!!)

alienalone said:

thnx in advance ....

temps seem fine to me.. these summers are very hot and hence the temp on ur card is nothing.

(no need to re-apply paste)

alienalone said:

thnx in advance ....

Try the rivatuner for overclocking the fan for reducing the temperature. :eek:hyeah:

I can not replace my 9600GT wid HD4670 bcos for dis I've to spend abt 300 bucks extra for shipping ... BTW .. i increased da fan speed to 70% using rivatuner .. but no gain!

Well i think its a little bit risky than overclocking.

I never tried it

better is to provide your gcard some ventilation provide some cabinte fans

tufel said:
i thnk u shud get rid of ur 9600gt and get a hd 4670. much stable. i will be getting it this week

Totally in-correct answer, not only is 9600GT faster, it does not have any stability issues too.

OP as others suggested apply some fresh thermal paste. I might have missed it, but which card do you exactly have?

Back