Domestic Airline - Different guideline for different airlines

technofast

Huh?
Adept
Recently I flew from Chennai to Delhi through Vistara airlines. I had bought with me a power bank and had dropped it into the check-in baggage. While I was waiting in the lounge I was called upon to the baggage security area and was questioned regarding the same and had to open the check-in baggage and throw out the powerbank as it was not allowed to be carried in their airlines. In the same way couple of weeks back when flying through Indigo airlines I was allowed to take the powerbank in cabin baggage when I flew from Bangalore to Chennai. So there is no uniform guideline for airlines regarding what is prohibited and what is not?

Have flown from Delhi airport within the last month or so, and power banks have always been prohibited in checked in baggage. Same case for Chennai, Mumbai and other Indian airports I have flown in and to in the last 2 years. I have also seen posters for the same in the airports, quite hard to miss seeing them. Just because you were not explicitly asked to remove a power bank does not mean it's allowed. It is certainly strange though, since while checking in baggage the kiosk attendants have always asked me whether there is any power bank in the checked in baggage or not. But just because you were not asked the same does not mean it is allowed.
And as far as I am aware, the prohibited items list is same for all airlines. Some airlines may choose to prohibit some extra things, but there is a common set observed by all, which includes no power banks in check in baggage. This rule has been in place since at least 2018.

Last edited:
Recently I flew from Chennai to Delhi through Vistara airlines. I had bought with me a power bank and had dropped it into the check-in baggage. While I was waiting in the lounge I was called upon to the baggage security area and was questioned regarding the same and had to open the check-in baggage and throw out the powerbank as it was not allowed to be carried in their airlines. In the same way couple of weeks back when flying through Indigo airlines I was allowed to take the powerbank in cabin baggage when I flew from Bangalore to Chennai. So there is no uniform guideline for airlines regarding what is prohibited and what is not?
Why did they make you throw it away? It is allowed in carry-on cabin baggage. BTW, despite having clear guidelines, airline employees can be ignorant and pedantic. I had ordered power tools and extra batteries which a friend was carrying for me from Canada. According to the rules, batteries were only allowed in cabin baggage. However, the security guys made him remove them and didn't allow him despite them being allowed. He couldn't argue because this was at the immigration desk (his flight was from US via Canada) and since he crossed border every week for work, he didn't want them to mark it on his digital profile which usually allowed him quick border clearances. OTOH, the power tool kit that he had kept in the check-in baggage had 2 batteries as well (which wasn't allowed) and they arrived safely (they are usually confiscated by TSA employees as they are not allowed in check-in baggage).

powerbank is only allowed in cabin luggage and not check in luggage. you were lucky they called you. My friend's bag didnt arrive when he landed because he had checked in late and probably the airline didnt have time to inform or get to him (he had his powerbank in the checked in luggage)

Have flown from Delhi airport within the last month or so, and power banks have always been prohibited in checked in baggage. Same case for Chennai, Mumbai and other Indian airports I have flown in and to in the last 2 years. I have also seen posters for the same in the airports, quite hard to miss seeing them. Just because you were not explicitly asked to remove a power bank does not mean it's allowed. It is certainly strange though, since while checking in baggage the kiosk attendants have always asked me whether there is any power bank in the checked in baggage or not. But just because you were not asked the same does not mean it is allowed.
And as far as I am aware, the prohibited items list is same for all airlines. Some airlines may choose to prohibit some extra things, but there is a common set observed by all, which includes no power banks in check in baggage. This rule has been in place since at least 2018.
First time I was carrying a power bank in check-in baggage but I did not see any posters or maybe I missed it. Definitely would have taken it out if I had seen it. Kiosk attendants did not ask regarding the power bank
Why did they make you throw it away? It is allowed in carry-on cabin baggage. BTW, despite having clear guidelines, airline employees can be ignorant and pedantic. I had ordered power tools and extra batteries which a friend was carrying for me from Canada. According to the rules, batteries were only allowed in cabin baggage. However, the security guys made him remove them and didn't allow him despite them being allowed. He couldn't argue because this was at the immigration desk (his flight was from US via Canada) and since he crossed border every week for work, he didn't want them to mark it on his digital profile which usually allowed him quick border clearances. OTOH, the power tool kit that he had kept in the check-in baggage had 2 batteries as well (which wasn't allowed) and they arrived safely (they are usually confiscated by TSA employees as they are not allowed in check-in baggage).
Yes, I wanted to take it with me in cabin baggage but Vistara representative told that as per new rules they do not allow it both in check-in and cabin baggage, however their website still states that power bank can be carried in cabin baggage. I did not argue as time was running out for the flight take off. I just let it go.
powerbank is only allowed in cabin luggage and not check in luggage. you were lucky they called you. My friend's bag didnt arrive when he landed because he had checked in late and probably the airline didnt have time to inform or get to him (he had his powerbank in the checked in luggage)
I also had my doubt if my check-in baggage will arrive as I was sure they would have opened the baggage to check again but lucky that it arrived without any problem.

Anything that has battery in it should be carried by carry-in luggage. This is very stricyly followed post samsung note 7 fiasco, However occasionally missed.

Imagine any battery bursting into flames along with other passengers luggage in the storage area.

Back