Laptops Dots on laptop screen+cleaning+advice

Hi,

Have an old hp laptop at home. These small tiny dots have started showing up on the screen

How are these caused? The laptop is never moved from the table and its lid is never closed. Do we get displays for the older models?

Another thing, it becomes very hot sometimes and even if we play a simple game (which doesn't even require a gpu), the fan starts spinning very fast and loud. Someone told me to open it up and clean the same. Can the same be done at home? Any heads up? If yes then is it advisable to use a heatsink for the cpu, isopropyl alcohol for other things?

Should I go for a laptop exchange? My budget is around 25-35k max. Just want a decent laptop. It should be able to run atleast GTA V that's it. Any recommendations? Can I somehow use the product key of the Windows 10 in this laptop somewhere else? I know it is mobo linked but will it work if I make a MS account and link it to this laptop? Will it get linked to the MS account then?

Thanks

Last edited:
Use isopropyl alcohol or rubbing alcohol for cleaning heatsinks.
Nowadays any kind of sanitizer is enough because we always carry one or two nowadays.

Usually one needs to take the help of a professional laptop repair man since if we loose one or two screws we need to run to the nearest service center.

That's how I lost one screw for my MSI Laptop and also lost M.2 screw also.
Such screws aren't readily available anywhere even in Amazon since we don't know their exact sizes so need to go to service center to get replacement screws.

That's why one needs the help of a professional repairman these days.

Use isopropyl alcohol or rubbing alcohol for cleaning heatsinks.
Nowadays any kind of sanitizer is enough because we always carry one or two nowadays.

Usually one needs to take the help of a professional laptop repair man since if we loose one or two screws we need to run to the nearest service center.

That's how I lost one screw for my MSI Laptop and also lost M.2 screw also.
Such screws aren't readily available anywhere even in Amazon since we don't know their exact sizes so need to go to service center to get replacement screws.

That's why one needs the help of a professional repairman these days.
Thanks bro. Main post and title edited. Please recheck.
Was looking for a diy way as the repairman asked for 2000 bucks for cleaning. Thermal paste application is included in this.

Thermal compound for CPU may need changing, or the fan might need cleaning.

You can look up on YouTube for how to clean the fan by searching your laptop model. If it looks like the opening of laptop and cleaning fan is easy, then only go for it... otherwise take it to a computer shop. Some laptops are easy to open, and fan is easily accessible... but opening some laptops is difficult, and some don't have easy access to the CPU fan too.

Also, do not attempt to change the thermal compound on CPU by yourself, if you don't know how to do it, or you haven't done it before.
Use a good quality thermal compound if you can afford it.

2K is costly for cleaning I think. Did you ask at HP service center? Local computer shops generally charge way over. I prefer to get a laptop repaired at its service center itself. They may charge high, but what they provide will be genuine, and they also know how to open their laptop models.

Ask if any other shops are charging less.

Thanks bro. Main post and title edited. Please recheck.
Was looking for a diy way as the repairman asked for 2000 bucks for cleaning. Thermal paste application is included in this.
Just use just dial and ask for doorstep PC Repair services and look for those who have more reviews and stars.
I got such person for repairing my Epson L3150 Wifi printer which tubes got clogged and they took ₹ 1100 for cleaning and servicing the printer.

I yet to ask for servicing my laptop. They do all in one services.

Look for such agencies via just dial.

2K is costly for cleaning I think. Did you ask at HP service center? Local computer shops generally charge way over. I prefer to get a laptop repaired at its service center itself. They may charge high, but what they provide will be genuine, and they also know how to open their laptop models.
2500 they are asking. Price includes sanitization as per them. If a bill is required then 18% extra.
Any idea about the dots thing+exchange which I edited later?
Just use just dial and ask for doorstep PC Repair services and look for those who have more reviews and stars.
I got such person for repairing my Epson L3150 Wifi printer which tubes got clogged and they took ₹ 1100 for cleaning and servicing the printer.

I yet to ask for servicing my laptop. They do all in one services.

Look for such agencies via just dial.
Thanks. Will do. Any idea about the dots thing+exchange which I edited later?

Going to the official service center is always recommended even if the laptop is out of warranty but if there aren't any options then one can go this just dial option.

@becool773 Have a chat with HP first. And before walking in a service center be ready for exorbitant charges though not always in all cases. Eg: Even if they can fix the screen issues they will directly ask for replacement stating display issues and cannot be repaired etc. This mostly goes for all components.
As @bssunilreddy suggested look out for some knowledgeable local technician around who can do the job at cheaper costs ofof at least professionally opening the laptop to get a better insight before deciding on further course of action. Also, how old is the laptop and post its model no. Using the model no. you can google for its most common issues and homely diy fixes.

@becool773 Have a chat with HP first. And before walking in a service center be ready for exorbitant charges though not always in all cases. Eg: Even if they can fix the screen issues they will directly ask for replacement stating display issues and cannot be repaired etc. This mostly goes for all components.
As @bssunilreddy suggested look out for some knowledgeable local technician around who can do the job at cheaper costs ofof at least professionally opening the laptop to get a better insight before deciding on further course of action. Also, how old is the laptop and post its model no. Using the model no. you can google for its most common issues and homely diy fixes.
Thanks. Will do. It is hp ab522tx + @bssunilreddy @CapriAnupam

What causes those dots on screen? How to prevent them? Can those be fixed?

Any guidance about the exchange part? Have trimmed down the budget a little, that budget+exchange value of this laptop is what my pocket is allowing me.

What causes those dots on screen? How to prevent them? Can those be fixed?
No specific reasons. Hastily touching screen, long screen on times with max brightness, or just simply dead pixel due to heating on screen etc. No of causes nothing specific. Most common on touch screen displays in l out phones.

These can be fixed by calibration tools but if its from hardware sides they wont get fixed.

These could be dead pixels.

If they are on the surface, ie you can feel that it is a speck of dust then clean with damp microfiber cloth
Na they are on the inside. Only way is to replace the screen? The service centre is saying that the model is not manufactured anymore. Any ideas from where to get the screen?
What causes this in the first place?

Back