Double the space & Triple the happiness

buBleZ

Skilled
Hey guys just expanded my storage with 2x 500GB SG 7200.12 drives. The drives rock in RAID. Ordered both from ebay. some pics.

The seller sent a DVD with some eng/hindi movies and video songs + some HD documentaries. Nice gesture :)

And why "Triple the happiness?" I used the ebay gifts offer and chose a bluetooth headset. To my extreme surprise the headset came a day before the harddrive itself .. EBAY ROCKS :triodance:

And how I setup the RAID in BIOS. THanks to Intel matrix RAID i was able to set both RAID0 and RAID1 with just 2 drives. OS and games in RAID 0. Some general stuff in RAID1

Here are some benchies. The avg read speeds are awesome. The random access times are good because my RAID0 takes only 30% of the space in the fastest area in the drives.

For some reason write is not as good as read :S

Backed up the disk images of RAID0 OS partitions to RAID1 partitions. These 2 drives brought my storage to 3TB :cool: Feedbacks/suggestions welcome

Torch said:
I was guessing you would put the OS in RAID1 for fault tolerance, since read speeds are same on RAID0 and RAID1.

Actually I am not interested in fault tolerance for OS and games but only performance. But for OS i have put the images in RAID1. So that should help in case something happens

congrats.
that dvdstore guy is an awesome dealer. good rates, immediate shipping. have bought stuff from him before. we should get him to register on te :p

Just a though, you can get a lot more out of your CPU. The max FSB you can from an x48 for the 45nm CPUs is around 450MHz. I've got mine at 8x440MHz stable (Linpack, OCCT stable 48 hours).

With your unlocked multiplier you should be running 4.2GHz atleast on air cooling.

Congratulations... Good purchase....

Also Seagate is again giving 5 Years Warranty on their flagship 7200.12 HDD's... in case you did not know... :)

Torch said:
Just a though, you can get a lot more out of your CPU. The max FSB you can from an x48 for the 45nm CPUs is around 450MHz. I've got mine at 8x440MHz stable (Linpack, OCCT stable 48 hours).

With your unlocked multiplier you should be running 4.2GHz atleast on air cooling.

My CPU is not that gr8.. It requires 1.45V in BIOS with loadline calibration for a prime stable 3.9Ghz speed. if I have to go to 4.2Ghz that would require 1.5V. Eventhough my temperatures are within limits that voltage will be too high for 24x7.

Yep true you can go to 440mhz but AT suggests that fastest FSB does not always provide the best performance. I have based my settings based on their detailed article here

AnandTech: ASUS ROG Rampage Formula: Why we were wrong about the Intel X48

I can probably go few more notches up in FSB but limited by mem speed which needs much higher V after 1100Mhz

FaH33m said:
congrats :) by the way your Bill states that Seagate has worldwide warranty..is it true ?

Thanks.. No idea if thats true.. WD has an option to transfer your warranty to different countries

HailStonE said:
Congratulations... Good purchase....

Also Seagate is again giving 5 Years Warranty on their flagship 7200.12 HDD's... in case you did not know... :)

thanks. Yeah. One of the reasons i went for Seagate :)

axeman said:
Phew, I think I misunderstood the title. :D Nice expansion there.

thanks. What did you think first ? :p

btw ur sig is barely visible in yellow

buBleZ said:
My CPU is not that gr8.. It requires 1.45V in BIOS with loadline calibration for a prime stable 3.9Ghz speed. if I have to go to 4.2Ghz that would require 1.5V. Eventhough my temperatures are within limits that voltage will be too high for 24x7.

Yep true you can go to 440mhz but AT suggests that fastest FSB does not always provide the best performance. I have based my settings based on their detailed article here

AnandTech: ASUS ROG Rampage Formula: Why we were wrong about the Intel X48

I can probably go few more notches up in FSB but limited by mem speed which needs much higher V after 1100Mhz

NEVER enable Loadline Calibration. On Rampage/Maximumus Forumla. Its pretty much confirmed that it spikes. Its not implemented correctly on these boards. During light loads it boosts the voltage too much sometimes. Thus you'll have a CPU that runs Linpack for 2 days straight but BSODs on the desktop. I had a lot of random BSODs while the CPU was idle but it was rock solid while stress testing. When your voltage is already high, a spike can kill the CPU.

I'm limited by the multi so I have no choice but to use maximum FSB. Fortunately even at 440MHz (with RAM 1:1), I'm still running the 333MHz FSB strap and its stable thus the AnandTech article doesn't apply in this case.

Torch said:
NEVER enable Loadline Calibration. On Rampage/Maximumus Forumla. Its pretty much confirmed that it spikes. Its not implemented correctly on these boards. During light loads it boosts the voltage too much sometimes. Thus you'll have a CPU that runs Linpack for 2 days straight but BSODs on the desktop. I had a lot of random BSODs while the CPU was idle but it was rock solid while stress testing. When your voltage is already high, a spike can kill the CPU.

OH!!!! Some links plz?

Also this means that I have to go for a higher voltage for the same overclock without loadline calibration.

buBleZ said:
OH!!!! Some links plz?

Also this means that I have to go for a higher voltage for the same overclock without loadline calibration.

Google for it you'll find a lot of links regarding LLC and high voltages. Its especially dangerous when you're near the maximum rated voltage already.

Without LLC the voltage will drop quite a bit. My BIOS setting is 1.36750v and while idle its 1.36v. Under load its only 1.29v and its stable, and the temps go down a lot thanks to the vDroop.

Back