download rig suggestions .... Should i go for an atom?

suhas93

Disciple
Hi,

I wanted to get a PC. Needed some suggestions.

These are the things it should do:

* Should consume less power (download rig)
* I think it should have a decent clock speed.
* ability to play 720p video is a plus

I was looking at atom processor. Anyone's using it?

Thanks a lot!
Suhas

I've installed atoms on all the new pc's in my office. My mums using one as well. I haven't tried to play HQ videos on it, but I don't think it'll be upto the task. But you always install a low end video card to offload video processing.

I think for you a 45w AMD dual core, and a motherboard with decent onboard video, will be a better option. See if you can get a really small form factor motherboard. Get a really energy efficient psu as well, otherwise your system will be consuming 10-20 watts more than it should be at idle...and negating the advantages of any energy efficient components. Remember, when the processor goes into power saving mode it'll consume much less than the rated 45 watts.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I just looked up the power consumption of an atom, and its less than 10 watts!
Nothing AMD has can compare to that.

iamddevil said:
I just looked up the power consumption of an atom, and its less than 10 watts!

Nothing AMD has can compare to that.
I have an atom setup right now, and its using close to 50w. Maybe its partly due to a not so efficient power supply but it won't go below 40w. Or you should go for Asus eeBox or a netbook which would have a much lower power consumption in the 20w range.

Some of the better netbooks use a HD screen and should be able to do 720p video (though not Youtube HD as that is Flash and the GMA3150 does not do hardware flash. Or mkv. or 264. Only wmv, IINM).

A decent option is the Zotac Ion mini-box, there are two models and the barebones model is 12.5K, you have to add a hard drive and memory, but it can run headless I guess. It will do pretty much everything thanks to the Ion chipset and a slightly faster N510 Atom (dual-core, desktop version). The more expensive one is ready to go, but it uses the older Atom and may be marginally slower. all of these have supplies built in, should be reasonably efficient.

Intel also has the D510 board out but no one seems to be carrying it yet. And it is severely limited compared to the Zotac or even the netbooks, though much better than the old 945 Atom desktop boards but it has the same HW acceleration limitations as the Atom netbooks. Plus you still have to bank on a ATX supply...

thanks a lot for the replies! :)

Ok, I've made my mind... I'll ditch HD videos... Will adjust with my X360

I have the complete setup (monitor, keyboard n stuff) ... just need the cpu tower ....So, can't get a netbook

Can anyone suggest a configuration? (PSU, Processor, MB)...

Minimal power consumption is my goal.

Thanks again,
Suhas

If minimal power consumption is your goal, go for a PlugComputer, costs about $100 + shipping. Uses less than 5w power.

Nimbus 100 - Ionics Plug

SheevaPlug Dev Kit

They also have a newer model GuruPlug with eSata etc but as of now it has heating issues and its not recommended to buy one. So if you only want USB, get one of the above. :)

varkey said:
If minimal power consumption is your goal, go for a PlugComputer, costs about $100 + shipping. Uses less than 5w power.

Nimbus 100 - Ionics Plug
SheevaPlug Dev Kit

They also have a newer model GuruPlug with eSata etc but as of now it has heating issues and its not recommended to buy one. So if you only want USB, get one of the above. :)
Whoa! 5w! Awesome!

BTW, I will also use the computer for some small applications (MS word, internet, streaming content to my xbox)

Anything I can get in India?

Also, forgot to mention, I'll also be using my IDE HDD n DVD drive...

Its actually a headless server, no monitor, keyboard, dvd drive etc. So you won't be able to use word, internet etc using this.

Basically you can use it as a download server, file server etc. You can connect the hard disk using an external case.

varkey said:
Its actually a headless server, no monitor, keyboard, dvd drive etc. So you won't be able to use word, internet etc using this.

Basically you can use it as a download server, file server etc. You can connect the hard disk using an external case.
Hmm.... I'm looking for Personal Computer then...not a server :)

Thanks anyway.

I'm now considering taher reply.. sempron 140 + 785g ( can't seem to make up my mind :S ) ... i could well make a long term investment now..

https://bwindia.net/content/mb-4amd-gigabyte-ati-785g-chipset-ma785gm-us2h
https://bwindia.net/content/cpu-amd-sempron-27-ghz-140

^^ Is the price right?

About the proccy
Have been researching about this since an hour or two... Some say that shelling out a little more for 2 cores would be better
Also, I stumbled upon this unlocking the second core... Any disadvantages (sorry OC noob here)
Sempron 140 Gets Second Core Unlocked

Any thoughts?
PSU
I have an IDE HDD and a DVD drive. If I go for this, what PSU should I get? I mean the rating. Also, any brand you can suggest?

Thanks a SUPER lot,
I really appreciate it,
Suhas

Back