Downloading Torrents dirctly on Pen Drive / External portable HDD...recommended ??

raksrules

Elite
I would like to know whether it is ok if i download and seed torrent data directly from my USB flash drives or my external 2.5" HDD ??
I mean i want to use the computer just as an intermediate medium for running the operation. Even the utorrent program will be run from the flash drive.

Please suggest. TIA

Do not use a USB flash drive. Flash memory has a limited read/write lifecycle. Torrenting onto a flash drive can destroy it over a period of time.

the reason i want to do this is because i dont want to store any such data on my office machine. I know i can copy to and fro but it is time consuming and i will need it to be done on a daily basis since i download at night. I dont want these hassles so was planning to get a 8GB USB also.

m0h1t said:
Why not get something like this instead of using the pc.

Dealextreme: $41 Network server - BT, FTP, USB , Print server, etc

on topic, I dont think torrenting will do any more wear'n'tear to an external drive than what it does to a regular internal drive

Using a regular HDD(in a casing or outside one) will be ok.

raksrules said:
the reason i want to do this is because i dont want to store any such data on my office machine. I know i can copy to and fro but it is time consuming and i will need it to be done on a daily basis since i download at night. I dont want these hassles so was planning to get a 8GB USB also.

A USB flash drive will get screwed.

raksrules said:
but i want to know that it should not screw up the external HDD. It will run for around 8 hrs at night.

abbe.. why would it screw your hdd? internal or external a hdd is a hdd. its the same damn thing.

Well few minutes before reading this thread, I was almost about to purchase a 8GB pen drive for downloading torrent on it, using the "Dealextreme: $41 Network server". I really wonder if the read/write cycle for a pen drive is that low and it would ruin the pen drive ???

I suppose HDD would be a better option as suggested by stalker. Moreover the advantage with HDD is that since many of us do the backups in it, we can seed most of the torrents.

I know this can be done through the main HDD of computer also but here i am only considering cases like me who dont want to store torrent data on computer.

raksrules said:
I have the transcend storejet 2.5" , 250 GB HDD..the one with orange and black color

Yeah, we did the same when we had to use utorrent on office laptops, and had access to 8mbps...

The HDD survives to this day, it was a v old transcend 80gb (internally pata type). Make sure that you keep the laptop plugged in to power, and dont disconnect the drive from the system.

Also, when you shutdown/ hibernate the system, remember to exit utorrent first, wait for the process to cleanly terminate and only then shut/hib.

Else you could lose some downloaded data.

Happy leeching :D

If you do have to use a flash drive due to some reason , increase disk cache in your torrent client to some large value (say 50% of your RAM) , this will atleast ensure less number of writes to the flash drive

No if i link this thread to my other thread of HDD

Can anyone please suggest me which new HDD to go for. My current drive is almost full and cannot take any more data. Although i plan to take backups on dvd. I was actually not much inclined to buy the new one also a transcend but it seems that because of the shockproof and all feature i may buy the same. Any other options ?

Also i suppose price of 320 GB is around 3.5k approx

axeman said:
Yeah, we did the same when we had to use utorrent on office laptops, and had access to 8mbps...

Mine too is office lappy but the connection is Just 2 Mbps :mad:
I have already received a warning from my company's security that they detected a P2P s/w on my machine and directed me to uninstall it immediately. :ashamed:
Thats why i dont want to take any chances.

raksrules said:
Mine too is office lappy but the connection is Just 2 Mbps :mad:

I have already received a warning from my company's security that they detected a P2P s/w on my machine and directed me to uninstall it immediately. :ashamed:

Thats why i dont want to take any chances.

Use the non-installed version of utorrent then. run from USB and save data to USB. That should keep you out of harm's way. Be aware that there are many means to track what employees do on office laptops at home, so they may still know what you did when you went back home.

^^ And maybe they detected it by the traffic and not the software , i dont think its a good idea to use P2P on your office PC (unless you are the top level tech support guy) , specially if you have been warned

Arrre nothing like that...they actually have a software installed on all the office machines which assists them in remotely updating the patches, antivirus signatures and all. That also does this detection

One more important thing...they detected a software called 'Hamachi' on my machine and categorized it as P2P when actually that was a VPN type client to get a US VPN so that i can use youtube etc at my home (youtube blocked here in China). So i had actually uninstalled it but the name was still in add/remove programs so there was some problem with uninstallation. So i had to delete the folder from program files and then deleted the entry from ad/remove programs.

At this same time i had utorrent, VLC player, image burn, picasa and whatnot all installed copies ( i mean previously installed and then just copied the installed folder and then uninstalling the app).

So that was the problem.

PS: I do not use P2P in office...no way i can do that and i would not take this risk also :)

Back