Car & Bike Driving licence to be cancelled for three red light jumps

AMG

Skilled
The government will study traffic safety norms in six countries – America, Japan, UK, Germany, Singapore and Canada before implementing reforms in India. The government among other key reforms is looking for a plan where a traffic light can be connected to a server, which will have the option to suspend a driving licence in the event of three traffic light violations.

“The Motor Vehicle Act will be amended for standard safety. We will order all manufacturers of heavy vehicles to cover the rear side of heavy vehicles, so that no small vehicle crashes in. If anyone violates road rules for more than three times then his Driving Licence to be suspended for 6 months and after that permanent cancellation for any further violations, A National Road Safety Council will be formed in a month’s time and we plan to monitor road violations with the help of automated camera units,” said Gadkari.

Source: Motoroids

I don't understand, how can this be implemented without manual intervention? And if no manual intervention then how does the technology work?

The government will study traffic safety norms in six countries – America, Japan, UK, Germany, Singapore and Canada before implementing reforms in India. The government among other key reforms is looking for a plan where a traffic light can be connected to a server, which will have the option to suspend a driving licence in the event of three traffic light violations.

“The Motor Vehicle Act will be amended for standard safety. We will order all manufacturers of heavy vehicles to cover the rear side of heavy vehicles, so that no small vehicle crashes in. If anyone violates road rules for more than three times then his Driving Licence to be suspended for 6 months and after that permanent cancellation for any further violations, A National Road Safety Council will be formed in a month’s time and we plan to monitor road violations with the help of automated camera units,” said Gadkari.

Source: Motoroids
[DOUBLEPOST=1402471491][/DOUBLEPOST]So its basically like a speed camera.

DL has no importance in india unless and until you are caught driving without one. So far, I didn't have to show it to anybody for the last 14 years. And the best part is that it's fake.

Initiative is excellent. Hope the implementation too is excellent. We also need stricter and proper implementation of existing road traffic rules.
Indeed, on our way to work there are so many riders who drive on the wrong side of the road. Hardly ever there is someone to catch them. On the days when there is a policeman, he catches 5 people and starts handing out challan while others can merrily drive by. Its as if he comes there to fulfill his quota of challans.

The initiative is indeed very good and I know that most people feel that this will never be implemented. But i seriously want this to be done.
I myself stay put on traffic lights and have people continuously honking behind me, even when they see signal is red.
India is full of such douche bags and I want them to get robbed of their money when they break traffic rules.

Indeed, on our way to work there are so many riders who drive on the wrong side of the road. Hardly ever there is someone to catch them. On the days when there is a policeman, he catches 5 people and starts handing out challan while others can merrily drive by. Its as if he comes there to fulfill his quota of challans.

Since you told me where you work, i guess your travel route is from Mariott side towards Wakad bridge and beyond. I travel from Phase 2 and the area between phase 2 and hinjewadi chowk is the worst. People from educated backgrounds and IT Companies ride their bike on opposite side of the road. They simply put themselves and the vehicles coming from the proper side at risk. I have no sympathy if the ones riding on wrong side get knocked over by a vehicle, they deserve it.

One day a bike rider did get knocked down by someone from my office while the car was making a U turn. The bike rider started fighting and you would not believe what he said, "everyone goes on the wrong side, don't you know this already, you should have been more careful".

This will take years to implement and mostly in metro / tier 1 towns.
Technology breakdowns can happen because of our poor network infrastructure
Would need CCTV at every signal / crossing.

I dont see this happening in some years atleast. Good luck to Government of India.

its tough and there are lots of questions about the implementation and all... but its good that they decided to start it. the technology will stabilize in few years but we will have a lot safer traffic.

Driving on wrong side of road especially near signals is happening in Mumbai too.
Saw some idiots driving on footpaths and dividers too.
Their mentality is that bikes don't need to get stuck at the back along with cars in traffic. Every biker wants to get to the front of a traffic stop. Idiots.

I have a lot of free time at hand so I purposefully block the paths of such deviants and call the cops and get them challaned. Have gotten many bus drivers and car drivers challaned but never any bikers. Have scared plenty of them though by not giving them way. My funda is simple - If they don't care for their own lives, why should I.

Carrying protruding rods on trucks are already banned. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ying-protruding-rods/articleshow/31630728.cms
But everyday I see more than one trucks with such cargo.
(While on bike I get really scared to go behind such trucks.o_O )

And, is pushing a two wheeler with engine off make it out of reach of the traffic laws?
Such jokers are very common in Bangalore and even police don't care about it.
(my friend said, even a traffic cop asked him to push his bike when he unintentionally entered some no-entry :eek:)

And, is pushing a two wheeler with engine off make it out of reach of the traffic laws?
Such jokers are very common in Bangalore and even police don't care about it.
(my friend said, even a traffic cop asked him to push his bike when he unintentionally entered some no-entry :eek:)

Well, technically and legally speaking, it is Motor Vehicles Act, so not using a motor in the vehicle does exempt the provisions of the Act.

Driving on wrong side of road especially near signals is happening in Mumbai too.
Saw some idiots driving on footpaths and dividers too.
Their mentality is that bikes don't need to get stuck at the back along with cars in traffic. Every biker wants to get to the front of a traffic stop. Idiots.

I hate this to core :mad: used to happen to me couple of years ago when I used to walked down to Kanjur station from IIT as at that time traffic was huge due to rail-over bridge over Kanjur being of just 2 lanes and JVLR being of 6 lanes - causing bottleneck.

Morons used to use footpaths for driving and on top of that honking as in we, pedestrians, were blocking road to drive a vehicle. Whenever a cop used crack down on them, I felt delighted :p

@AMG: Last time I jumped a signal (circa 2010 coz I could not see the signal at all coz of a big bus) the RTO police fella told me why do u wanna get a strike on your license. Pay me 100/- bucks and I let you go. This rule is in effect since quite some time, but isn't enforced coz... corruption.

Also when there is a swarm of ppl breaking the signal, how will you catch each and every person.. there is hardly one police manning a big chowk even if there are 2 and they have caught them they resort to UTT payments to avoid paper work and hassles.

For this system to work first we need to first ensure the vehicles are healthy. Each and every vehicle should have an MOT fitness certificate, failing which ur car should be illegal to drive around in. I have seen fancy / blingy / fading / hanging / cracked / broken / illegible number plates. These people should be fined and a simple font embossed number plate should be made mandatory. RTO should employ a bunch of contractors and ensure they dispense quality number plates with the required fonts and legibility in place. Only then the speed cams and what not will work. RTO should have a plan in place, start from small and basic stuff and then move on to bigger infra things to improve the road safety and all. Offenders' lic should be cancelled. Driving tests made strict. Also these days the RTO police manning the signal also doesnt know the signs. They signal people to go in a fashion similar to the way that girl did in 2Fast 2Furious. Which is kinda confusing, coz we aren't sure what he is trying to say. So as i said before, first they should get thier basics right, then rest of the things will follow.

Back