Camera DSLR Lens Advice

hbksabhi

Adept
> I own Canon 500D
Lenses
1. 18-55mm kit lens
2. 55-250mm telephoto lens

i dont use the camera much as i want to use the camera indoor and lower light situations without flash.
the kits lens is bad for indoor shooting . i want to upgrade
Option 1 - Canon 50mm f1.8 (7k)
Option 2 - Sell kit Lens and Buy Tamron 17-50 f2.8 (22k)

For indoor & low light situations the f1.8 would be better.

Double check the mount before buying the non-OEM lenses lie Sigma & Tamron. These offer far better VFM. Suggest that you check out the feel in a shop, rater than go for direct buy online.

If you have a reliable source, a used-lens would be a much more lighter on your pocket.

For indoor & low light situations the f1.8 would be better.

Double check the mount before buying the non-OEM lenses lie Sigma & Tamron. These offer far better VFM. Suggest that you check out the feel in a shop, rater than go for direct buy online.

If you have a reliable source, a used-lens would be a much more lighter on your pocket.
thanx .. i will only have to from ebay .

wont the 50mm be toooo zoomed in for indoor shots

thanx .. i will only have to from ebay .

wont the 50mm be toooo zoomed in for indoor shots

Yes, 50mm on a crop sensor camera like 500D will be around 85mm. This focal length is not suitable for indoor photos unless you live in a mansion :p You are better off with a zoom like the Tamron. You do lose some low light capability compared to the 50mm, but you get the versatility of a zoom and more wide angle.

Yes, 50mm on a crop sensor camera like 500D will be around 85mm. This focal length is not suitable for indoor photos unless you live in a mansion :p You are better off with a zoom like the Tamron. You do lose some low light capability compared to the 50mm, but you get the versatility of a zoom and more wide angle.
with tamron 2.8
how much shutter speed i can keep with normal indoor lighting ... will there be blur

Aperture-priority is normally suggested for emphasis on space, shutter speed for emphasis on time (like motion-blur, sports etc.). But, then you cam make your own rules! You will have to look at your lighting situation, experiment quite a few shots and settle with the one you feel came out the best.

Aperture-priority is normally suggested for emphasis on space, shutter speed for emphasis on time (like motion-blur, sports etc.). But, then you cam make your own rules! You will have to look at your lighting situation, experiment quite a few shots and settle with the one you feel came out the best.
right now with kit lens and indoor lighting .....
widest aperture 3.5 . i have to increase iso to keep shot blur free and iso are so high that it kills the IQ

IIRC one can go upto the 1/80 shutter speed for a 50mm lens on APSC without blur .. after that its upto a person's camera handling.

50mm is still a portrait lens .. but yea indoor shots will end up being portraits only.

f2.8 is only half a stop faster than f3.5 . If 3.5 is not gud enough, 2.8 wont help much.One option you have is to underexpose your images and then to bring up the exposure in post processing.Requires some pp skills.
Ideally get a 24mm f1.8 lens.If you find it too expensive a 35mm may ? work for u.Set ur kit lens to 35mm and see if you like the focal length for indoor shots. 50mm lens will be too tight .The only other option is to get a better flash unit with bounce capabilities.If you are not that interested in subject isolation, a bounce flash along with ur kit lens might work better for u compared to all other options.

Last edited:
Though I feel that at 50mm it's best to use a Prime. Even a F 1.8 lens should be fast enough for most indoor portraits.

I am in a similar boat though I use my DSLR mainly for video. I was thinking of going for the Sigma or Tamron 17-50 F 2.8 as a replacement of the kit lens as it is also convenient for most of the stuff i will shoot as opposed to changing lenses every few minutes.

Back