Audio DTS audio for LCD

shanu53219

Disciple
Hi mates, I need ur expert views and suggestions for this issue, I have couple of mkv videos with DTS audio @1510kbps mixed and I have Sony Bravia LCD 32klvEx400 and western digital Full HD media player connected via HDMI port and 1Tb WD passport essential HDD on both Both USB attached to it , and I own Sony 728 DVD player, which is connected to other HDMI port of Sony Bravia , now problem is whenver I play Mkv video with DTS sound , I can't hear any audio but when I play other mkv video with AC3 @640kbps audio, it works fine, now the question is how can I play DTS video files on my LCD, what hardware I need to add more to get the desired audio, plz suggest reasonable hardware. Thanks in advance .

shanu53219 said:
Hi mates, I need ur expert views and suggestions for this issue, I have couple of mkv videos with DTS audio @1510kbps mixed and I have Sony Bravia LCD 32klvEx400 and western digital Full HD media player connected via HDMI port and 1Tb WD passport essential HDD on both Both USB attached to it , and I own Sony 728 DVD player, which is connected to other HDMI port of Sony Bravia , now problem is whenver I play Mkv video with DTS sound , I can't hear any audio but when I play other mkv video with AC3 @640kbps audio, it works fine, now the question is how can I play DTS video files on my LCD, what hardware I need to add more to get the desired audio, plz suggest reasonable hardware. Thanks in advance .

The WD Hd media player is not capable of playing DTS audio because they left out DTS decoding capability to reduce the cost (- licensing fees)

The only option if you want to play via the WD HD player is to take the original video file, extract the DTS audio track and convert it to AC3 and then remux the audio back to mkv file.
Should be half an hour job on a decent dual core system. :)

Does the TV decode DTS? Thats the only thing to care about.

I have a similar setup as yours - a Philips 9703 connected to an xtreamer using a single HDMI cable. The xtreamer just passes the DTS signal to the TV which decodes the audio.

Check up the tv specs if it supports DTS decode. Else simply transcode the audio to AC3.

Chaos said:
Does the TV decode DTS? Thats the only thing to care about.

I have a similar setup as yours - a Philips 9703 connected to an xtreamer using a single HDMI cable. The xtreamer just passes the DTS signal to the TV which decodes the audio.

Check up the tv specs if it supports DTS decode. Else simply transcode the audio to AC3.

As i went through your LCD Specs i could not find that it has a DTS decoding feature, but xtreamer does have DTS , but you need to pay for it, plz refer me to the site where Your LCD has this feature mentioned , if it is not then i may buy xtreamer plus a licence for DTS(not for 5.1) but for 7.1 which i dont need( this is a result of conversation with the seller who sell xtreamer)

with regards

shanu53219 said:
As i went through your LCD Specs i could not find that it has a DTS decoding feature, but xtreamer does have DTS , but you need to pay for it, plz refer me to the site where Your LCD has this feature mentioned , if it is not then i may buy xtreamer plus a licence for DTS(not for 5.1) but for 7.1 which i dont need( this is a result of conversation with the seller who sell xtreamer)

with regards

Xtreamer decodes DTS. However over HDMI its simply a pass-thru. The TV shows the input audio format as DTS when playing a file has DTS audio.

Back